Bought a HRM

Options
it's a watch..and not a super expensive one.

I was longboarding down the boardwalk for 11minutes and had burned like 120 calories. Does this seem a bit much to anyone? I mean I was sweating a little, but I wasn't drenched and I didn't feel like I was working all that hard. I feel like if I can burn that many just doing that; then when I'm at the gym REALLY going at it I've gotta be burning a LOT.

So does it seem like maybe it was wrong to anyone or would you say that sounds about right? I scanned my heart rate with it pretty often and was right around 140bpm.

I'm 5'8, 172(ish) and see the gym every day.

Replies

• Steventhehro
    Steventhehro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's quite a lot I'd get that for a 10min run at 10min mile pace - but we are all different. & HRM picks up your effort. What would MFP have given you?
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would think it's correct if all the settings are right.
  • Steventhehro
    Options
    There was nothing for longboarding I could find on MFP. But if I just type 11min into the cardio box it says 70cals.
  • kellyreynolds14
    Options
    The first time I used my HRM it was way off, but at the same time it said my HR was above 220 BPM! When I am running a 9-min mile pace I burn just about 110 calories per every 10 minutes or so (and that is my steady state pace, meaning I can run 10-11 miles at that pace so I am not sprinting compared to my fitness level). The more in-shape you are, the more effort you need to exhert to burn calories. So if it isn't taking into account your personal RHR and MaxHR, age, fitness level, weight,etc. etc., than it could be off. If anything, it sounds like it might be over estimated a tad.
  • Steventhehro
    Options
    The only info I had to put in was my age, and whether I was male/female. My heart rate seemed to change appropriately..when just driving in the car, I was 78ish, when I was out longboarding I was 130-140 and when I stopped it worked its way back down.
  • kellyreynolds14
    Options
    Well the range of your hr sounds reasonable so I would think the device is working well. Just keep in mind the more personal info the device can factor in, the more accurate your caloric burn reading will be :-) But 140 is a decent amount of energy.....also note chest straps are usually a little more accurate for measuring HR.
  • Steventhehro
    Options
    yeah, I had to go with a cheap option for now. Thanks for the responses!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust it.. It sounds like it doesn't have a strap or take all info necessary.

I'd scrap it until you can get a proper one like Polar.