Strength training: What do I need to do?

Options
I am SO confused in regard to this topic! I'm not working out to have a nice bod and for my health alone. I want to participate in some fun hobbies! I would like to run in some races (no more than a 10K) or obstacle courses, martial arts, rock/mountain climbing or hiking and maybe boxing. I need my strength to be functional.

I am completely lost in the sauce when it comes to the type of strength training. I hear a lot about "lifting heavy" and that sort of thing. Is this what I need to do, or should I look train for endurance? My cardio is straight. No problems there, so now it's time to switch gears.

What type of strength training do I need to do in order to gain functional strength?

Replies

• daniellexcara
    daniellexcara Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump, need to know toooo!
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just bought and read the book, "The New Lifting Rules for Women". I highly recommend it for someone wanting to start lifting. Good luck!
  • Steventhehro
    Steventhehro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lunges, squats, pull ups, all the real basic stuff can help build up the strength of your all around body. I would say go for some intense endurance training for the stuff you wanna do though. You'll build muscle doing it, but it'll be more functional.
  • befitandfearless
    Options
    You should have a look to www.BodyBuilding.com for some great infos all around, and www.BodyRock.Tv for bodyweight home workout to enhance your strength and burn fat! Hope this helps. (: Ox
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found this

http://www.probodybuilding.com/bodybuilding-female-beginner.php

I am a mom of two and currently nursing my 4 month old so I have NO intention of bodybuilding :). I think it's a great place to start and get all my muscle groups in. I plan to start monday. I need someone to show me proper technique for some of the lifts.
  • bokabeus
    bokabeus Posts: 3
    Options
    Check out stronglifts.com and/or startingstrength.com.

Mark Rippetoe (the Starting Strength guy) is the more respected/known of the two, but there is something to be said about Mehdi's (the Stronglifts guy) utterly idiot-proof instructions.

Forums like on bodybuilding.com do tend to gather useful info over the years.