Protein

Options
KCramer12
KCramer12 Posts: 153 Member
How do u all get your protein in daily? I try w eggs and chicken, ect. But i feel like my totals for the days r always low. I am not a huge red meat eater at all. Any ideas. Protein shakes?? Dont wanna gain though. Help please.

Replies

• clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Chicken (breasts only), Greek yogurt, lentils, rice & beans, AND my favorite thing ever--Barilla Plus pasta! it's made with egg whites and legumes and stuff so it has 10g per 2 oz serving. It's amazing. You can find cereals with similar fortifications, too, and breads. Read labels!!
  • nsmpal
    nsmpal Posts: 11
    Options
    Try the pure protein bars. 20 grams of protein. I like th e peanut butter chocolate. 200 cal. Most stores carry them. If you like them, costco has them too. I was having the same problem with protein but not anymore.
  • RaViCa
    RaViCa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I buy already boiled eggs. I also use protein shakes and protein bars. I mostly use them as meal replacements. I also buy Tuna Salad. They are made by Chicken of the Sea and come pre-made and in a little to go cup. I'm just starting out though and this is what I'm using right now but always looking for new ideas and ways to get my protein in as I'm afraid the whole shake thing may become boring to me.
  • derekjewaka
    Options
    Tuna! 1 can has anywhere from 100-150 calories, with anywhere from 20-26 grams of protien. Mix with one tbsp of low-fat mayo, some chopped onions, pickles, peppers, etc. You have a high protien, low calorie snack. Look into other types of fish as well. I also use whey protien for after workouts, and casein before bed. A cup of milk (skim preferably) also has 8 grams of protien.
  • alexluong
    alexluong Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    check out my diary! protein is king. you won't gain weight on a calorie deficit.
  • brsmom2
    brsmom2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Protein bars or shakes, yogurt, part skim mozarella, chicken, lean steak, fish, hummus. . . I always go over my protein allowance!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions in this thread. If you try protein powder, I'm not sure what you mean about not wanting to gain... you won't gain any fat unless you go over your calories in a day... protein powder is just another source of calories like any other food, and you don't gain muscle by accident! :)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese. Mix in tuna and salsa. (Don't knock it til you try it!)

Tuna or salmon patties. Mix canned tuna or salmon w/ egg, onion, S&P, and bread crumbs. Form into patties and pan-fry in a teeny amt of canola or olive oil.

Also, tuna melt...mix tuna w/ onion, S&P, light mayo, and top w/ mozzarella, broil til browned. I like this on an english muffin.

Experiment w/ whey protein. I like mine blended w/ ice for a milkshake, or stirred into my coffee for a mocha.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sun Warrior has Vegan Protein Powders - 17 grams of protein and no more than 84 calories. www.sunwarrior.com or purchase through www.amazon.com.
  • KCramer12
    KCramer12 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank u all so much for the great protein ideas. They all sound great. Gonna have to give some a try. When i say gain i mean weight. I have never used protein shakes or bars due to hearing u can gain from them. I am trying to tone now and lose just a few more lbs. Thanks again all!!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, almonds, tuna, salmon, chicken breasts and turkey, Flatout wraps, beans, Sara Lee breads (look at the label!), EDAMAME!!! :) It deserves capitals, it's amazing!! :)
  • Jalyst79
    Jalyst79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Almonds
  • Housemaid
    Housemaid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to a vegetarian diet and need ideas for how to get more protein. Any ideas?
  • Housemaid
    Housemaid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where can I find Barilla Plus pasta?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Protein powder...
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    You're not going to gain weight drinking protein shakes if you are eating at a deficit.

Protein powder and bars, greek yogurt, fish, cheese, beans...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You may also look through my open diary, I have been aiming for 100-150 grams a day the last 3 weeks and hitting it consistently.

Protein shakes will not make you gain if you stay within your calories. I use whey powder almost every day. Some days I make shakes, others I mix it in with flavored Greek yogurt and freeze it like ice cream.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Almonds

Agreed. I toss a half a serving of almonds in my lunchbag for a snack each day.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Here's my go-tos

Greek Yogurt - my fav is Yoplait honey vanilla
    Protein Bars - Power Crunch peanut butter fudge...or Nature Valley makes a good one too...dark chocolate and peanut butter
    Protein Powder - UNJURY brand. Chocolate Splendor is great mixed with milk (Silk light) and coffee for a mocha drink
    Chicken/Turkey
    Eggs - whole, not just the white
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump