Vegetarian that needs help!

Options
hey, so I'm pretty new to being a vegetarian, only about 5-6 months. I really like soup, so can anyone tell me where to buy vegan imitation chicken soup? or something like a vegetarian bouillon base? here's an example of what I am talking about: https://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon/vegetarian-bases

I'd like to buy it at a store in New England (Massachusettes/New Hampshire range please)

Replies

• jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The brand you mention is the one I see most frequently locally. I've also used bought unchicken bouillon cubes at local health food stores before but unfortunately I don't remember the brand. I thought it was Rapunzel but I'm not finding a listing for it now so I'm not sure. If don't mind making your own to keep on hand, this recipe from Bryanna Clark Grogan is powdered and will keep well. I've not made this specific powder blend but I have used her breasts of tofu recipe many times and it contains a very similar blend of ingredients as a chicken-style marinade for tofu: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/11/01/bryannas-homemade-vegan-chicken-style-broth-powder/
  • losingmylbs
    Options
    I found Rapunzel vegetable bouillon online, hopefully I can find it at Market Basket, Stop and Shop, Shaws, Walmart, Target, Butcher Boy, or Whole Foods'Edit: oh and thanks! :)
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have never used a chicken flavored bullion, but I often just use plain vegetable broth. Is that what your asking? Are you looking for a meat substitute. I have been a vegetarian/vegan for about a year and half now and I was very lost when I began. If you need any help let me know.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I use veggie broth. It is actually quite easy to make your own. some carrots, celery, onions, garlic and water to over veggies and simmer for an hour. I don't add salt so it isn't like getting those store bought ones that are high in sodium.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like the Amy's No Chicken Noodle Soup - you can get it at health food stores and some grocery stores as well.
  • veggiewolf
    veggiewolf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The brand you mentioned is sold at Whole Foods (at least in Chicago) and is really tasty.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I use Rapunzel No Salt Added Bullion Cubes. Would be sold at Whole Foods for sure.

I'm going to probably start buying regular old veggie broth in a can though... might be cheaper in the long run.
  • awoilwef
    awoilwef Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods also has their own brand of vegetable broth (365 brand) that is good and reasonably priced.
  • losingmylbs
    Options
    Thanks guys! I found a vegetable broth in the vegetarian section at my local Masket
  • losingmylbs
    Options
    since you've all been so helpful, can you guys give me tofu tips?
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    There are often vegetable broths next to chicken and beef broths at the grocery store :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What do you want to make? I find vegetarian broth preferable in flavor if I am not making something with meat in it.
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    Look in the bulk bins of good health food stores for stock or soup base powders. I love both the veggie and fake chicken vegan powders I find in the one near me. (CA unfortunately). But to make up for lack of a brand name, here's a link to a terrific carrot/ginger/lemon soup recipe that works out to 110 cal./cup made exactly as written (without the sour cream garnish. It would work out even less after substituting for the butter and chicken stock, but I haven't figured that out yet. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Carrot-Soup-with-Ginger-and-Lemon-4083
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    since you've all been so helpful, can you guys give me tofu tips?
    How much do you know about tofu? Generally, the tofu that most savory recipes call for is the kind you'll see in the refrigerated section. I personally tend to prefer extra firm or firm varieties for most recipes. You used to always have to press the water from tofu to get good results in recipes and some people probably still prefer to do so, I just don't think it's needed for a lot of brands (especially Whole Food's, Wildwood, and Woodstock Farms tofu off the top of my head . . . Nasoya tends not to be as firm so sometimes I press it and if I were to make a cooked dish with my homemade tofu I would most definitely press it since homemade tofu tends to be pretty soft kind of like those balls of mozzarella). Tofu absorbs flavor really well. In our house we like to marinade it sometimes and bake, pan fry in a little bit of oil or pop it on the Foreman grill. We most commonly take tofu fresh out of the container, cut it and pop it into a bag of homemade shake n' bake while it's still wet so the seasoning sticks to it and bake it on parchment paper. I know some people don't care for the texture of tofu as is or sometimes just want variety. If you drain your tofu of water and freeze it, when you defrost it tofu has an entirely different texture.

It's kind of hard to confine over a decade's worth of tofu knowledge here without knowing specifically what kind of tips you find useful, though. While I don't have soy for every meal tofu finds its way into a lot of my dishes (lasagna as a sub for ricotta, scrambled tofu for breakfast, crumbled along with other ingredients to make loaves or patties, as the base for a mousse/pudding, etc.). While I don't often follow recipes in the kitchen, I love a lot from the Post Punk Kitchen's creators: http://www.theppk.com/tag/tofu/
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned veggie broth- the vegan zombie (on youtube) has a great recipe for one!
    Also tofu- there are a lot of types, my favourite is silken (scrambled tofu is the best- with broccoli, red onion and cumin, with a slice of avocado and salsa!) or in miso soup. Firm tofu is better for a 'mock meat', you can soak it in any marinade you want (barbeque is a good one) overnight, slice it up and grill/oven bake it, and use it in burgers/chopped up on salads/whatever.