Frustrated - need insight

Options
Hello all,

I'm 27, 5'7" and 140. I've been bouncing around this 140 number for years now. I know I'm technically of a healthy weight, but I would be happier at 130...(the lower limit for my bmi is 118) but no matter what I do I can't drop the pounds. I go to zumba multiple nights a week. I recently started drinking green tea and trying more strength training. I eat healthy, whole organic foods. I watch my calories. I don't know what to do anymore... HELP!

Replies

• Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try eating more. If your not eating enough your body will go into flight of fight response and store weight because your burning so many calories and not feeding your body what it needs.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Before you try eating more, what are you eating now?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    If you want help, can you open your diary so we can see if you're getting enough food/water?
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Honestly130 at 5,7 is way skinny
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Kerry, it's no secret, the only way to lose is to increase your activity and decrease your calories. Keep acurate count of your calories and increas your protein intake to about 50. Protein helps to get rid of fat! It sure seems as if you are working out enough.

Good luck,

Basil
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 27. I'm a bit shorter than you, at 5' 6.5". I used to weigh 150, but now I'm at 125. Open up your diary so I can help!
  • kerrykovacik
    kerrykovacik Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to do that. I entered food for today, but I don't usually use this site. I do count my calories, I just don't usually use myfitnesspal, but I knew the forum was here so I figured I'd post...
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What makes you think that you'd be "happier" at 130 pounds? What will you get from that number that you aren't getting now? Is it that you want to look better, or that you don't think you're running at full potential, or something else?

That number in and of itself will not lead to happiness. I imagine that you're well aware of that and you instead have some other reason that you're just summing up in terms of pounds, so what is really driving this goal? That will help people offer you some suggestions.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to do that. I entered food for today, but I don't usually use this site. I do count my calories, I just don't usually use myfitnesspal, but I knew the forum was here so I figured I'd post...

Click My Home --> Settings --> Diary Settings
  • kerrykovacik
    Options
    I'm a little fluffier around the mid section and I'm estimating 10ish lbs would offset the fluff... I understand that what I want may not translate into an exact number but regardless, my measurements and weight stay the same to clarify...
  • sayrusty
    sayrusty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use myfitnesspal.....religiously. If you enter everything including the exact amounts and your exercise the program will let you know how you are doing. I've lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks, and not really tried that hard. I didn't even change my diet, except the amount of food and exercise. Like basillowe66 said, it's no secret. But it is work to keep accurate track of food and exercise.

Good Luck!!

Russell
  • kerrykovacik
    Options
    to give more examples of what I eat since I don't really use this site...

yesterday looked like:

2 eggs, scrambled with coconut oil - 1 tblsp
    1 coffee
    peach
    large salad (3 cups of mixed greens with some broc, red onion, cucumber and shredded carrots), 6 oz of bolthouse honey mustard
    1/4 cup mixed nuts
    4oz grilled chicken with 1/2 cup of spinach
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'd love to get back down to 120ish at 5'6", but am having a hell of a time.
  • kerrykovacik
    Options
    Yea I used to use myfitnesspal religiously until I noted that it didn't seem to help...
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options

yesterday looked like:

1 coffee
    peach
    large salad (3 cups of mixed greens with some broc, red onion, cucumber and shredded carrots), 6 oz of bolthouse honey mustard
    1/4 cup mixed nuts

6oz of dressing, I hope that's a typo. If not, thats tons of dressing, try lower calories non mayo based dressing.

I'm older than you, but same height and right around 130. It took a year to get 20 pounds off but I am thrilled with my results. I work out about 10h/week. Finished p90x, and insanity. now doing a hybrid of both. I also do a bootcamp class 4 nights a week.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Since you do not have a lot of weight to lose, you should not have a deficit of more than 0.5 lb per week. I suspect that you aren't eating enough and may have slowed down your metabolism. Also, to get into better shape once you are already at a healthy weight, strength training is key.

I'm 5' 5.5", started MFP at 164 lb, and am now 127-128. I lost the most weight doing intense cardio (burning 400-600 calories) and netting an average of 1425 per day. That's net. I would eat between 1400 to 2000 calories per day. But once I was close to my goal weight, I switched to doing circuit training DVDs to build some more muscle and tone. It has made a difference. I'm considering how to get heavier weight training into my routine now.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options

yesterday looked like:

1 coffee
    peach
    1/4 cup mixed nuts

6oz of dressing, I hope that's a typo. If not, thats tons of dressing, try lower calories non mayo based dressing.

I'm older than you, but same height and right around 130. It took a year to get 20 pounds off but I am thrilled with my results. I work out about 10h/week. Finished p90x, and insanity. now doing a hybrid of both. I also do a bootcamp class 4 nights a week.

6OZ is about 12TBL. Bolthouse Farms Honey Mustard is about 35 calories for 2 TBL (I think, I know Ranch is 45 and Blue Cheese is 35 because I use those). So that is 210 calories from just the dressing.

BTW, Bolthouse Farms is a yogurt based dressing, not mayo. =) Just for reference. And they are tasty!

Though I will say... adding that up in my head and it doesn't seem like a lot of calories overall.
  • Electrifit
    Options
    I recommend altering your fitness regimen. I have tons of clients who eat super clean but cant drop anymore then they've lost. What types of workouts do you do?
  • kerrykovacik
    Options
    I do a lot of zumba. I've tried yoga...used to run more...tried walking as much as time permitted to burn a few extra cals, I even started taking the stairs (4 flights) at work a few weeks ago...anything to burn a few more cals :( I started to do more strength training but only started like a week or so ago. I just don't know enough about it. I know what machines work what and I know how to to do weights, and I know your muscles need rest, but I don't know what muscle groups to work and when.
  • kerrykovacik
    Options
    Actually...I do a lot of zumba and zumba toning (with 2lb toning sticks).