over on protein and carbs - is this bad?

Options
Hi! I am in my first week and I keep going over on protein and carbs, but am under my calories (a little) and under fat (by a lot) each day. Is this a bad thing? Should I mainly be concerned with the calories or should I be paying more attention to the other numbers?

Replies

• orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think both, a lot of people on here say it doesn't matter, calories in vs cal out.

From my experience, it does matter. I am doing low carb so I manually changed the default settings on MFP and try to hit those targets

Too much protein is not bad, and I have read a lot that the default protein target is not high enough on MFP. Too many carbs make it more difficult for me to lose weight, or to stay at my calorie goal, since usually carb stuff has more calories.

Its a tricky balance, find what works for you and stick with it!

Good luck
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much. You can change the ratios of carbs/proteins & fats to something different, if you wish. I currently have mine set at 40%carbs /40% protein /20%fat. That's what my personal trainer recommended.
  • danijohnson
    danijohnson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am going to try to keep the carbs down a bit and just see what happens, and as long as i am under on calories I won't worry just yet. ;-)

Thanks again!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't worry too much at this stage - focus on getting around the right number of calories and working on choosing food with as much nutrition as you can (as opposed to stuff with lots of calories but little nutrition).
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to restrict particular food types, don't panic over carbs either.
    And don't feel you have to be under your calorie goal - meeting it or going a few cals over is no problem. All the numbers we are working with are estimates so treat your calorie goal as a target not an upper limit.