Pop is my enemy - help

Options
I'm having issues giving up Pepsi. I will do good for a few days and then if I have one I'm hooked again. I need to find an alternative and diet pop gives me really bad headaches! HELP, this is my biggest diet issue!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    :smile: stop buying it. you cant drink it if you dont buy it.

well you can, but that's a pretty stupid reason to get into legal trouble :laugh:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    drink diet.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    oh, headaches. try the diet soda wit stevia, or even splenda.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I was the same with coke, hate diet, but coke zero is real close, close enough to switch permanently.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I used to have a strong addiction to Coke myself...I'll admit. But I've since kicked the habit and moved into distribution. :D
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was the same with coke, hate diet, but coke zero is real close, close enough to switch permanently.

Coke zero worked for me. Taste was same but no cals.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I bought a Soda Stream water carbonator - I find it's the fizzy I usually want, and usually because I'm dehydrated.

Try buying carbonated water every time you want a Pepsi and see if that helps? (not soda water though, too much sodium)

I'm having issues giving up Pepsi. I will do good for a few days and then if I have one I'm hooked again. I need to find an alternative and diet pop gives me really bad headaches! HELP, this is my biggest diet issue!
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Look for a non-soda drink that you like. Keep ice cold water with lemon handy.
  • beavs614
    beavs614 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    SAME with me and Dr Pepper. I just decided to limit myself to one can a day or sometimes every other day and make sure I count the calories. You can do it!
  • LiZzie1917
    LiZzie1917 Posts: 65
    Options
    The more protein I eat, the less I want sweets.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I gave it up 2.5 weeks ago. I was a serious addict.

Just stop drinking it. Don't bother with diet, or other soda alternatives. Just drink TONS of water to flush out your system. If you need some carbonation, try some carbonated flavored water to take the edge off.

You may feel sluggish the next few days, and I was VERY cranky for about a week, but it's all worth it. I was so grumpy my husband said, "Would you just drink an effing Coke already?" LOL I didn't give in.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you like about the soda? I usually reach for a soda when I hit my sugar slump around 3pm, so I started making sure I had a healthy snack nearby.

My husband drinks it for the sugar. I made him switch to juice and am slowly getting him to dilute it with water to cut the sugar intake. This is my favorite alternative to soda.

As others have said, if it's the fizzy you like, you can find carbonated waters that should help.

Try any or all these things. I started by cutting soda down to 1 a day. Then I cut it out completely. It's hard, I still reach for 1, but I'll grab a bottle of water instead out of spite.
  • LiZzie1917
    LiZzie1917 Posts: 65
    Options
    That would be 66 carbs for a small soda. That is more than half of what I allow myself in carbs daily. Ouch!
  • rosekrista
    rosekrista Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I hate the after taste of diet drinks. I can handle the diet coke with splenda in moderation but thats it. I have been able to ween myself off slowly by drinking water with all meals (you will not miss it as much when eating) and only having a can of coke as a treat and tracking it. After seeing the can of coke vs. a real chocolate treat in my journal it made me want it less and less. Plus have plenty of cold water or healthy substitute ready for when you have a real thirst so that you do not grab the can of pop and down it in a minute.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I have to admit, my initial reaction was "REALLY?" try giving up cigarettes after 25 years of pack a day then tell me how hard it is to give up pepsi. :p Just being honest.... some people don't care for that.

I did substitute gum and sugar free lifesavers for smoking and have now actually replaced it with water drinking. I carry my little water bottle everywhere and sip it constantly in social situations.

So, find a substitute. A healthy one.
  • babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Options

I drank my children's kool-aid to replace the sweet and added Crystal Light packets to my water bottle for caffeine. After a while I started watering down the kool-aid by adding more and more ice. Now I am down to just one flavor packet, two if it is a really hard day. It was easier for me to give up soda once I found a replacement for the caffeine. I don't miss it anymore...I don't even care for it while eating pizza! Which was really tough, in my mind I always thought they went hand in hand.

Good luck!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    don't buy it, don't look at it, don't think about it! you gotta cold turkey it. But that is just my opinion.

As horribly dreadful as it sounds, its basically the only way to quit such a habit.
  • JessMySize
    JessMySize Posts: 130
    Options
    Take what you drink (Pepsi) and the amount. Divide it by two, and replace a half with Seltzer water, hope this helps!: )
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    **Disclaimer: I am a diet coke addict, and I've cut down but have not eliminated it from my diet right now.

When I gave up diet coke (didn't have ANY for 3 years), I first cut back until I was down to one a day. Then I just stopped drinking it, drank green and black tea (unsweetened) for a little caffeine and tons of water. I actually did really well and maybe had a slight headache for 2-3 days in the afternoons. I didn't drink any for a year, got pregnant and didn't drink any through the whole pregnancy and nursing our son. After he weaned, I started out drinking one or two a week and then progressed to drinking a lot more. Personally, I think I need to be all or nothing.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Just do it...

I was one of those people that claimed water gave me headaches. So I drank soda all of the time...ALL OF THE TIME.
    What I did not realize is I was dehydrated. The headache was a reaction from not having the soda/caffeine/chemicals.

Google "Uses for Coke" When you read the list, you will realize that putting something into your body that does all of those other things cannot be very good for you.

Giving up soda allowed me to lose 10 lbs and they stayed off! Even through my fluctuations with weight and diet, those 10 lbs are gone.

Cold turkey, do it, don't look back. Be strong...it is doable.