Eating healthy on the go?

Options
So, a big part of my healthy movement has been moving away from packaged foods - not even ones that are supposed to be diet friendly - the problem I have with this is, I am an on the go woman and cooking isn't always an option. My other problem - I never grew out of the childhood "veggies are icky" stage. Though I eat them, its usually with them mascaraed in a blender with enough fruit to mask the flavor. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    pick and off day and literally package every meal for the entire week. Now, you will have food and you can bring it in a cooler. Problem solved.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    you know - i really have tried that, but s many things dont taste as good 7 days out. Brown rice gets a weird texture, veggies and fruits get runny - what do you make and package that works best?
  • erylie
    erylie Posts: 34
    Options
    I don't know how others will feel about this... but it works for me... Burger King grilled chicken sandwich... 350 calories (plain)... I LOVE it...
  • Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    you know - i really have tried that, but s many things dont taste as good 7 days out. Brown rice gets a weird texture, veggies and fruits get runny - what do you make and package that works best?

Freeze them. Then the night before put them in the fridge to defrost. When it's time to eat....heat it.
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    well that makes perfect sense thanks :)
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    My boyfriend LOVES fast food (and of course is 6'2" and only 160lbs!) but I look at a fast food meal and my *kitten* expands, it just doesn't work for me.
  • LiZzie1917
    LiZzie1917 Posts: 65
    Options
    I buy deli turkey. It's easy to stick a few pieces in a baggie or Pyrex bowl. I stick it in my lunch pail with one of those refreeze packs and I munch on that and nuts. Usually walnuts and macadamia nuts. Tons of protein and fiber but count our portions cause the nuts are high in calories and good fats.
  • sothearkim
    Options
    if anybody needs any fitness advice just let me know
  • Mrsshaffer25
    Mrsshaffer25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sooooo know what you mean! I am a mom on the go and rarely get to cook on a daily basis. Needless to say, I am a drive thru junkie!! Just recently I found out about this 90-day challenge and I am loving it! It's a meal replacement shake and I just got mine for free this month! If your interested in more information, you can go to my webpage www.mrsshaffer25.bodybyvi.com and watch a short video then msg me.
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    I'd love some! I've been walking between 5and10 miles a day, and have just started trying to actually jog and run some of that distance. I do light weight training, try to sculpt my arms, I also do a little on my giant exercise ball, but I dont feel like I'm getting much from any of it except a calorie burn - i want some muscle tone.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I agree packaging your own cooked foods is a good way. Things always last better put in the freezer, even brown rice. As of the veggies, I can't help you there. I have always loved them when I don't consider myself on a diet or only eating healthy.
  • MarkFeagins
    Options
    The nutrition package I take specifically addressed this for sales people who are always in their cars or professionals who either eat at their desk or only have time for drive-thru. A friend of mine flies international jumps for FedEX and he is now using these individual packets. Without any exercise, just these drinks on his flights... he loses a pound a week with a perfectly balanced 13g of protein, low fat meal replacer. I add pineapple and a bit of coconut and its an amazing Pina Colada.
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    yeah - this is actually what I' trying to avoid. I dont want meal replacement, shakes, bars, yadda yadda, I want good natural food thats portable and non time consuming.
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    So, a big part of my healthy movement has been moving away from packaged foods - not even ones that are supposed to be diet friendly - the problem I have with this is, I am an on the go woman and cooking isn't always an option. My other problem - I never grew out of the childhood "veggies are icky" stage. Though I eat them, its usually with them mascaraed in a blender with enough fruit to mask the flavor. Any suggestions?

If you are on the go, just choose healthy meals. It may cost more to have someone else make your food, but El Pollo Loco and Subway are great options to eat healthy (and who doesn't like Subway?) If you go mexican, a rice and chicken burrito is pretty healthy for fast food ( I believe Taco Bell has some low cal burritos.). Just have them take out the cheese and sour cream. I am from california, so I am not sure where you are at or what is around you. But good luck in your search!
  • pcb148
    pcb148 Posts: 5
    Options
    In the past, I've made a list of acceptable foods and kept them available. Then I mix and match for the day depending on what sounds good.

I'm back on the road as of two days ago, so I'm re-writing my list. But a lunch might be a) greek yogurt b) walnuts c) a small slice of meat. Another day: a) an apple b) almonds c) celery and Laughing Cow Cheese.

It has worked for me before, but I'm just now learning to count calories. I think it will still work with the new approach.

pb

p.s. LOT'S of water:)
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    so what do you do on the morning when you open your refrigerator and low and behold you need to go grocery shopping much more than you realized.
  • jcolon74
    jcolon74 Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been in the military 10 years now, and on shore duty it's very easy to run to McDonalds, Quizno's etc, etc, etc. Luckily I have an the Navy Exchange right below my job, I tend to stick to fruits and salads as much as possible.

At 38 I still think veggies are icky

Fruits aren't the best for me, but they're better than anything else in there, also unsalted nuts

Most days I'll end up eating 2 meals at work so I've had to learn to be very picky about what I get.
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Haha, I have the same issue! I am often stuck because, there's really nothing I can make, and sometimes I'm just too lazy to cook, but when I'm going to work and I need food, I usually go to fast food and have a salad or something, or go through and find the "healthiest' choice I can find.

Some sites have a list of healthy choices at fast food places, might check that out!
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    what places do you go and what do you order?
  • angiejo666
    angiejo666 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know you said you were against the meal replacement thing...but if you change your mind and decide to give Body by Vi a chance...do so through Amazon. That way you can get just what you want and nothing else. When you use a rep you get locked into an auto-ship thing and that sux. I agree with not liking them because nothing is better than real food, but I have used them to help me kick-start my lifestyle change because I wanted to get used to eating less. They have worked beautifully for that reason and now I am using them less frequently as I am learning to eat better and stay within my 1200 per day. Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou: