SUBWAY

Options
fatsis
fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
How did Jared loose weight on Subway? I knew I should have researched before going.

I got a 12 inch Subway club on honey oat and a diet Pepsi and viola 820 freaking calories.

Damn, a piece of lettuce and water for dinner tonight.

Replies

• fatsis
    Options
    How did Jared loose weight on Subway? I knew I should have researched before going.

I got a 12 inch Subway club on honey oat and a diet Pepsi and viola 820 freaking calories.

Damn, a piece of lettuce and water for dinner tonight.
  • Jendaya35
    Jendaya35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It is on the Subway.com homepage. It says he ate 2 6" subs a day for a year off the fit menu. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    6 inchers off the "6 grams of fat or less" menu, I believe.

I go to Subway every freaking day (I work in a tiny mall and there isn't much else to choose from). Even if you're super starving, a 6 inch loaded with veggies is generally enough to fill you up. The footlong adds so many calories in bread alone, you know?
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    My friends and I used to joke that he walked to the subway where he got his sandwich, so it wasn't really the fact that he was eating subway, it was the fact that he was walking there! :laugh: Just thought that was a funny thought!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Gotta be careful with those Subways, some of them are worse then a Big Mac!
  • zaiikaa
    Options
    Yep...

A footlong double-stacked BMT = 1260 calories and 70 grams of fat! I can't imagine anyone would think that was healthy, though... as it's salami, pepperoni and ham.

As an aside, I definitely recommend the veggie delight sub. I never thought I'd be recommending a vegetatian option as I'm a huge meat lover, but if you're used to the lunch meat sandwiches (with a few rather pathetic slim, processed slices of ham, turkey), you hardly miss the meat. I add cheese and the sweet onion sauce as my "dressing."

Sigh. I could talk about Subway choices all day long. Pretty sad. And I'll be going there for lunch, probably.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    thanks, now i want a sub lol
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I thought I also read that he walked a long way to get to the restaurant too.

Or that could just be more random cr@p my brain made up. :bigsmile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You can't eat a foot long- you need to stick to the ones with 6 grams of fat or less- only 6 inches.. I eat Subway everyday on Wheat either ham, turkey, or ham and turkey with cheese and Lite Mayo and it isnt that many calories-- And Subway works as long as you make the right choices just like with any meal..

P.S the BMT already is alot of calories on its own not to mention double meat.. It is not under 6 grams of fat.
  • zaiikaa
    Options
    I thought I also read that he walked a long way to get to the restaurant too.

Or that could just be more random cr@p my brain made up. :bigsmile:

I think you guys are right - I remember walking involved as well. Subway just wants us to think it was the subs only! :tongue:
  • sweetandstormy
    Options
    He ate a low fat 6" sub for lunch and a 12" veggie for dinner. I don't know how he did it. I tried eating Subway every day and could only last about 3 days. I like 'em, but geeze. Also, you have to be careful about the choice of bread. The lowest calorie/fat choices are wheat and italian. If you want to have Subway, go to their website or pick up the nutritional information in the restaurant. It's all about making smart choices. Watch the toppings, too! Even the low fat ones are loaded with calories.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    roasted chicken breast 6" is around 300-400 cal
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    He could have lost the weight with just the subs. I think the light and fit sub only have about 400 calories, if he ate 2 a day thats only 800 calories for a full day.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Actually, he did walk to the Subway--that's what I heard him say once anyway. And, that's all he ate for the whole day, too, from what I understand--just the 2 6" Subs. Not a healthy way to lose weight! I'm surprised he didn't develop other health problems to go along with his "Subway diet" after eating nothing but high carbs/sodium laden subs every day for over a year. :sick:

Here's the info from Wiki and the official Subway site on him:

By his junior year at North Central High School, Fogle's weight was at 425 pounds (193 kg), and he reportedly wore size 6XL shirts[1].

Several years later, after his roommate, a pre-med student at Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind., correctly diagnosed Jared with sleep apnea and edema, he was sent to the hospital. Fogle's father, who is a physician, told him he might not live past 35, and Jared began to turn his life around. At the age of 20, Fogle estimated he consumed a diet of around 10,000 calories a day.[2]

Interested by Subway's "7 Under 6" campaign, Fogle tried his first turkey sub, and enjoyed the sandwich.[1] He developed his own "Subway diet", consisting of a 6-inch turkey sub for lunch, and a footlong veggie sub for dinner.[1]

After three months on the diet, he had lost nearly 100 pounds, and weighed in at 330 pounds (150 kg). He stuck with the diet and soon began to walk as much as he could, rather than using transport, and would walk up the stairs rather than take an elevator. By the end of the diet Jared had lost over 240 pounds.

The first spot aired on January 1, 2000, introducing Jared and his story, complete with a disclaimer: "The Subway diet, combined with a lot of walking, worked for Jared. We're not saying this is for everyone. You should check with your doctor before starting any diet program. But it worked for Jared."

Why SUBWAY® Sandwiches?: There is a SUBWAY® restaurant right next to where Jared’s apartment had been while he was at the university. He passed by everyday. He used to eat there frequently but one day when he was at his heaviest, he noticed the sign advertising sandwiches with 7 sandwiches with 6 grams of fat or less. He ate a 6-inch turkey (no oil, mayo or condiments or cheese) for lunch and a 12-inch veggie (no condiments or cheese) for dinner. He ate the same sandwiches every day. This is what made it so easy. Once he saw the *weight begin to come off, it only made him want to eat more of the low-fat sandwiches.*

What he ate everyday:

* Breakfast - coffee
    Lunch - "I ate the 6-inch turkey, tons of vegetables, including hot peppers and a bit of spicy mustard." He left off the mayonnaise and cheese and had a bag of Baked Lays® potato chips and a diet soft drink
    * Dinner - Footlong veggie sub - again no mayonnaise or cheese.

Maintenance: Today, Jared still enjoys his favorite SUBWAY® sandwich, but has eased himself into eating other foods. He always chooses foods low in fat and limits the amount of alcoholic beverages. He still drinks only "diet" beverages and continues his walking regimen.
  • fatsis
    Options
    Yep...

A footlong double-stacked BMT = 1260 calories and 70 grams of fat! I can't imagine anyone would think that was healthy, though... as it's salami, pepperoni and ham.

As an aside, I definitely recommend the veggie delight sub. I never thought I'd be recommending a vegetatian option as I'm a huge meat lover, but if you're used to the lunch meat sandwiches (with a few rather pathetic slim, processed slices of ham, turkey), you hardly miss the meat. I add cheese and the sweet onion sauce as my "dressing."

Sigh. I could talk about Subway choices all day long. Pretty sad. And I'll be going there for lunch, probably.

I too am a Subway addict. I guess the additional 6 was not helpful.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna be having the lettuce and water dinner, too, one bowl of wheat noodles/vegan kungpao sauce= 620 CAL!!

*sigh*

D*mn, you, delicious food...
  • fatsis
    Options
    Speaking of Subway, I still laugh everytime I think of the office commercial where the guy wants to photcopy his butt because he doesn't have his receipt. "Hoochee mama"

This is really funny because I am an account and I am always missing credit card lunch receipts.
  • fatsis
    Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna be having the lettuce and water dinner, too, one bowl of wheat noodles/vegan kungpao sauce= 620 CAL!!

*sigh*

I only have 342 calories left. I am paying for my sins. Ditto from me to delicious food.
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm so going there after work. STUPID DUMB DAY!
  • zaiikaa
    Options

*sigh*

I only have 342 calories left. I am paying for my sins. Ditto from me to delicious food.

Awww, 342. That's meager.