"You're eating what?!?!" (Advice on Food)

Options
Skeebee
Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
Hi, all! Looking at my diary entry for today (Tuesday, July 24th), this is my typical food day for workout days. I'm looking for some ideas on how to change up my lunch routine, stop eating sandwiches and bread, and still be low in cost (and within all values I'm tracking). Would love to hear your suggestions! Thanks for reading!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    You eat wonderfully....and great job on your macros!!!

I've been trying to get away from bread as well. Feel free to take a peek at at my diary to see some of my lunches.

For the most part, to get in my carbs without eating bread, I'll eat a sweet potato, beans, whole grains (think quinoa, barley, etc).

Sometimes I will eat a whole grain lavash wrap or a whole wheat sandwich thin if I'm wanting a sandwich or a wrap.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what about taking dinner leftovers for lunch?

if you have access to a microwave, turkey chili with a little cheese on top is good.

as for replacing bread, pita is a little better. 1 of the sara lee pocket pita is 80 calories and you can feel a good amount of stuff in there. have that with some soup and that could still be 400 calories.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    Thanks a bunch, guys!! :-) The turkey chili sounds delish!!! Hadn't thought about pita bread. My husband and I thought about doing the leftovers thing. only problem is that my dinners are usually more carb based and then my values kinda get off during the day if I eat too much of that at lunch. balancing is so hard! >_< I could always cut it down or maybe thing of something to add to it to balance it out. Really appreciate the comments so far!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing right now is to bake several chicken breasts and make some quinoa in advance and then eat that for lunch during the week. I add the chicken, quinoa, and some veggies (it varies what I use) and add some olive oil, lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar to it. I usually put it together the night before and it's good the next day.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    My favorite thing right now is to bake several chicken breasts and make some quinoa in advance and then eat that for lunch during the week. I add the chicken, quinoa, and some veggies (it varies what I use) and add some olive oil, lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar to it. I usually put it together the night before and it's good the next day.

OMG....DROOOLING right now. haha! Does the quinoa keep overnight? I know with rice it sometimes dries out overnight. Wasn't sure if quinoa is the same way.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good day to me :p.

Ideas:
    rice! (instead of sandwiches) - soy sauce, veggies, some beans if you'd like, scrambled eggs. very filling.
    beans (chickpeas are my personal favourite)
    switch up your veggies. I eat veggies sooo much. favourites are broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini. you can make so many different things with zucchini!!!
    oats!!! (with fresh fruit or sweetener)
  • Skeebee
    Options
    Seems like a good day to me :p.

Ideas:
    rice! (instead of sandwiches) - soy sauce, veggies, some beans if you'd like, scrambled eggs. very filling.
    beans (chickpeas are my personal favourite)
    switch up your veggies. I eat veggies sooo much. favourites are broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini. you can make so many different things with zucchini!!!
    oats!!! (with fresh fruit or sweetener)

Thanks!! I'm starting to do more veggies at dinner. I'm sooo not a veggie person unless it's mixed in something or, as I always say (which my husband finds hilarious...), "I don't like veggies that taste like veggies." :tongue:
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Substitute big leaf lettuce (romaine, etc.) for your "bread slices". You can still have a "sandwich" that way.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ^ this! Lettuce wraps with all of your usual sandwich fillings. They are nice and refreshing.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for headless ideas, feel free to have a look through my diary. Meat and salad is always easy.

I generally double up on dinner the nit before and eat that the next day. Find it so much easier!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I haven't had near as many problems with quinoa drying up or getting soggy(I cook it in my steamer/rice cooker with a little olive oil) n I batch cook it so I've had it keep for 2 days with no issues. G'luck. (I'm not good with food advice just saw ur question about quinoa :D )
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open to the public and has no bread in it if you want to look.
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There are also some decent carb balance tortillas out there that you can use to make wraps. These are also usually high in fiber (think 12 grams of fiber!), which is a nice way to get a little extra of that in. La Tortilla Factory even makes one with whole wheat so you can avoid the enriched flour in some of the other ones.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I eat veggies often for lunch

Sauteed zucchini sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Chicken Grill seasoning with a slice of low sodium swiss on a wrap or light english muffin is delicious.

You can also steam cauliflower and throw it in a food processor with some skim milk, a little butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper and make "cauliflower mash" - so yummy - looks liike potatoes and less calories. Perfect with leftover meat from an earlier dinner. (I cook large packages of chicken or pork and save the leftovers for lunches)

Eggplant sliced thin, fried w/non-stick spray and stuffed with herbed cottage cheese, topped with tomato sauce (I use diced tomatoes and season w/fresh garlic, onion, mushrooms), top with a little mozzarella and parmesan cheese - almost as good as stuffed manicotti.

Eggplant sliced thin, fried w/non-stick spray, and topped with salsa and some low-fat cheddar cheese - also yummy.

Baked potatoes topped with salsa, black or kidney beans, and plain greek yogurt.

Baked sweet potatoes topped with some cinnamon - eaten with a greek yogurt or a leftover piece of meat.
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    My sister and I have been loving Mama Lupe Low Carb Tortillas. They taste good and toast up nicely; we've been using them for wraps or veggie heavy tacos. We can find them at a couple different grocery stores. I like doing lettuce wraps when I can, but when I really need a little more (or don't have big enough lettuce leaves) those tortillas do the trick. I think they're only 7 carbs each and they're a little larger than taco tortillas, but smaller than a burrito.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    lentil soup!! my obsession
    also salad with grilled chicken and non-creamy caesar (newman's has a good one) or a vinaigrette.
    foods that are typically for breakfast could also work, like omelets or Greek yogurt or oatmeal.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You eat wonderfully....and great job on your macros!!!

I've been trying to get away from bread as well. Feel free to take a peek at at my diary to see some of my lunches.

For the most part, to get in my carbs without eating bread, I'll eat a sweet potato, beans, whole grains (think quinoa, barley, etc).

Sometimes I will eat a whole grain lavash wrap or a whole wheat sandwich thin if I'm wanting a sandwich or a wrap.

^^^ I checked out your food diary noticed homemade dark chocolate and peanut butter protien bites, they sound amazing. Will you share the recipie?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Did I miss the reason why you're wanting to rid yourself of bread?
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There are also some decent carb balance tortillas out there that you can use to make wraps. These are also usually high in fiber (think 12 grams of fiber!), which is a nice way to get a little extra of that in. La Tortilla Factory even makes one with whole wheat so you can avoid the enriched flour in some of the other ones.

Love the La Tortilla ones, and they're 80 calories each. I generally do one of those and any "excess" stuff that would have normally gone into it creates a little mini side salad. :) I also do the whole wheat pitas on occasion.