1600 cal per day

Options
I have been given 1600 calories per day on mfp. So am I understanding this correctly that I should eat 1600 cal per day PLUS the 280 calories per day that I earn exercising?

I am 5'5" female 47 y old and 231 lb.

Thanks for looking. M

Replies

• Cresta_B
    Cresta_B Posts: 3
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!!!
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes, the weight loss is built in to the formula. Eat the amount of calories you have alotted per day.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Yes, that is the way that MFP works as you already created a calorie reduction when you set it up, i.e. Lose 2 lbs per week. If that's correct eat them back.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have been given 1600 calories per day on mfp. So am I understanding this correctly that I should eat 1600 cal per day PLUS the 280 calories per day that I earn exercising?

I am 5'5" female 47 y old and 231 lb.

Thanks for looking. M

Yes, you are spot on.
    The great news is you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight!
    I started out just over 200 pounds eating 1660 cals/day plus exercise cals - and consistently lost around 1kg (2.2 pounds) every 10 days.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    This is my understanding :

If you are given 1600 calories by MFP to LOSE weight ...half lb, 1 lb, 2 lbs..then you eat all 1600 calories to do so. If you exercise and log those calories you can choose to either eat them back and remain at the same deficit or you can not eat them and in theory lose more weight.

I am a little on the fence about some of this, I think it is some trial and error, but I also read that your net calories (calories eaten minus exercise calories) should not be below your BMR number. Depending on the extent of your deficit you may have to eat nearly all of your exercise calories to stay above your BMR.

Hope this helps.
  • bluebike2013
    bluebike2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I have failed so much in the past efforts. I am a slow Lerner and I think it would be great if this works fr me. -M