Gym or no gym?

Options
I need to lose a lot of weight. I was doing so good when I was doing a bootcamp and aquatic bootcamp. Both are done now and I am have fallen again. How many people have lost weight on their own with home work outs and how many have lost weight with the help of a gym? I need lots of advice. Do I fork up the money to do the bootcamp again or do I do it at home? HELP!

Replies

• davidjulian
    davidjulian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you're able to motivate yourself, there's no need for a gym. Sure, they help mix it up with machines and weights, but I think really what the gym and classes are good for is motivation. I know I always work a little harder when there's a teacher yelling at me or a like-bodied person to "compete" with. That said, I also did the 90 days of P90X at home, which is just you and Tony (and his cronies), and it's really you that holds the motivation.

If you're the type to push yourself without outside encouragement, then you can save your money and work out at home, no problem. Just make sure you work out HARD. Otherwise, I think a gym or bootcamp is money well spent. Check out Groupon, Living Social, Google Offers, and the like for good deals.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I find I do a lot better in a class environment - I usually work harder, and feel obligated to show up. :)

However, this time I'm trying the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (available for free on youtube) and I'm really liking it! Give it a try for a day or two and see if you like it?

I need to lose a lot of weight. I was doing so good when I was doing a bootcamp and aquatic bootcamp. Both are done now and I am have fallen again. How many people have lost weight on their own with home work outs and how many have lost weight with the help of a gym? I need lots of advice. Do I fork up the money to do the bootcamp again or do I do it at home? HELP!
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    For those of us with a lot to lose, something like a gym membership and exercise equipment for the home is really a health expense, in my opinion. So, I prioritize it like that in my budget. If the bootcamp is what works for you, my suggestion is to cut corners elsewhere in your budget and pay for it.

On the other hand, I have never done a bootcamp. I do have a gym membership, and also an exercycle to use here at home. Right now the gym is working out really well for me.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, you need to try out what works best for you. I'd ask your local gym if they'll do a 1 or 2 week trial. Take classes if they interest you. Try different equipment. Find something you look forward to. If you don't then try building a routine at home with minimal equipment. You can get some push up bars and a pull up bar and run outside and only be out like $30 or so. Main thing is finding something you commit to where you can easily make it a habit.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I was terrified of joining the gym. Then my hubby talked me into doing it (NO FEAR) and I have never looked back. I love the gym. I'm probably one of the bigger (okay biggest) people there but I don't care. Seeing people in better shape than me and being around fitness in general is very motivating and keeps me pushing harder.

So for me, It's GYM! I will never not be a part of one.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    Well if losing weight is all you want you don't really need the gym... I go to the gym to get fit, not to lose weight. I lost weight with a calorie deficit. But if you also want to get fit, then I say yes join a gym! I LOVE the gym. I just got a membership a couple of months ago and I don't think I will ever go without one again.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for different people. Im considering this as well.
    I made a deal with myself.

If I can get up and excercise (daily walk) at least 3-4 times a week until the end of the summer, I will get a membership.
    I need the motivation and I know that come winter I will not want to walk outside in the snow and ice ...

Im almost done week 3 of my plan ......... but I think a gym would help hold me accountable for sure...
  • pauluska008
    Options
    work out at home or at the nearest park, save money and stay fit
    try yoga, pilates or jogging
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have never, for one minute, regretted the money I spend on my gym membership. I am a competitive person by nature, and being around other people motivates me (whether they like it or not!). I do most of my cardio outside the gym at this time of year, but come winter I'll be there a lot more often.
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Depends on your motivation level, what you enjoy (classes or solo), time, etc. When my kids were really little I loved the social environment of a class and it really motivated me and helped get me in great shape. At this point in my life, I enjoy working out alone, so I do my workouts at home. I agree that it is an investment in your health and so worth it. We are moving, but once we get settled, we are getting some good equipment for our house (right now I use our apartments gym).
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    work out at home or at the nearest park, save money and stay fit
    try yoga, pilates or jogging

You under value the camaraderie that happens at the gym and the support you get there. Just being there as an overweight or out of shape person makes me feel like I can do anything I set my mind to. The gym gives me a place to test my limits and push myself. It also has people who can show you what you should be doing and give you advice. Really it's worth the money and these days you can get monthly memberships for as little as 10.00.
  • vickyangel35
    Options
    The gym can be a great place to lose weight, yet it can be costly. The only thing our body wants (apart from food and water, and the occasional pleasure) is to remain in motion, if you have a busy schedule or have long hours at work take some of your time to take the stairs instead of the elevator or go for a walk instead of sitting on the couch to relax after a long day. The gym can get rather boring in my opinion, but I like talking walks around the neighborhood or spending some time just roaming the mall (a fun way to exercise by distract yourself with all the great stores :) ). The point is just to keep your body in motion, and that way you are always burning calories. Hope this helps. :)