"You're eating what?!?!" (Advice on Food)

Options
2»

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for headless ideas, feel free to have a look through my diary. Meat and salad is always easy.

headless food? we zombies have no interest if the head is missing = no brains.

:wink:
  • tfunkwurzer
    tfunkwurzer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Totally low carb tortillas are great.

I also do (and can even do at the office. Or at home the night before) Yukon Gold Potato cooked in the microwave with the lowfat turkey chili. Sometimes steamed broccoli and a little bit of shredded cheese on top and the fat free sour cream. So filling and so satisfying.

Egg salad (1 egg and 1 or 2 egg whites) with 1 tbs of low fat mayo and mustard, salt and pepper. With 1 piece of the High Fiber Whole Wheat Bread. More of as a scoop than a sandwich.

Salad in a Jar. You can make up a weeks worth. I usually put leftover meat and some shredded cheese in mine. Just google it. But basically dressing in bottom. All other ingredients layered with your greens on the very top. Shake and pour on your plate. As long as your dressing doesn't touch your lettuce or whatever greens you are using it doesn't get soggy and it helps soften your onions bell peppers if you are using them.

Tuna the same way as egg salad with just one piece of toasted bread as apposed to two in a sandwich.

Taco Soup (I have our recipe on my website Finances With Funk. com) is so filling and healthy.
  • healthyshelleym
    healthyshelleym Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave at work an excellent food is homemade soup. It is quick to make up a big batch and, if it won't be consumed within 3 days, freeze it in single serve portions. I have a box of organic delivered weekly and soup anything left over near the end of the week. My recipe is: 1 large onion (diced and fried in 1 tbl spoon oil), add 2kg veggies (pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, swede, turnip etc), add 1.5 litres of stock and lightly boil for 40 minutes. Blend. That's it.

Last week I didn't have enough pumpkin to make a big batch so I added carrot and sweet potato and added ginger and garlic to onion at saute stage. Soup is a great way to get creative and use up good veggies that may otherwise go to waste.

If you're going to reheat frozen soup it's a bit of a process. Microwave, stir, microwave, stir, microwave, stir. The water separates from the soup so you need to stir it between zaps for it to come back together.

Brown rice and veggies is another great one. Saute onion, 1-2 fresh long chillies, clove of garlic, ginger and then add other veg from hardest to softest. Add plain omelette at the end. This is a very comforting meal. Just make sure you take you're lunch portion out before serving as there may not be leftovers as someone will want seconds. Experience talking :)

And, don't forget OATS. Personally Iove them cooked plain (with water not milk) and of a gluggy consistency - no excess water. I have also been known to add sliced apple or dried fruit. People either love oats or hate them. Often I find those who hate oats have had bad childhood experiences with them and think there is only one way they are meant to be eaten. Remember how they were cooked then and don't cook them that way. I also find that the instant oats and flavoured oats aren't very nice however other people love them and they are very convenient as a healthier lunch option. I know a girl who loves the flavoured oats. She has found a particular one that she likes and wouldn't eat them any other way.

My favourite cold options are salad with a couple of eggs and a small amount of low fat (Honey Mustard) dressing, salad with a small amount of danish fetta (which becomes the dressing!) and curried egg sandwiches on multigrain bread.

I hope there is something there that you find useful :smile:
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    That sounds really yummy!

Re: quinoa keeping - I make it a few days ahead of time! (I have it as a breakfast oatmeal type thing)

My favorite thing right now is to bake several chicken breasts and make some quinoa in advance and then eat that for lunch during the week. I add the chicken, quinoa, and some veggies (it varies what I use) and add some olive oil, lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar to it. I usually put it together the night before and it's good the next day.

OMG....DROOOLING right now. haha! Does the quinoa keep overnight? I know with rice it sometimes dries out overnight. Wasn't sure if quinoa is the same way.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Did I miss the reason why you're wanting to rid yourself of bread?

Good question. My husband and I are both noticing how sleepy and lethargic we both get after eating bread and sandwiches (even after switching to whole wheat). Plus, I'm getting bored of sandwiches. :-P
  • KerenCutNShoot
    Options
    I need the same help, ideas on change. I am getting bored with the same ol food. However I have tried to cut out carbs, or breads mostly and I watched a video on what foods not to eat that was on the sideline of this page (mfp) and it stated whole wheat breads are not good to eat as one of the top five foods not to eat. I am confused about that. I tried to cut out breads and eat tuna and boiled eggs over lettuce instead of on bread. Thanks for all the great post, good ideas!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Try chopping your deli meats and cheese and melting then over a potato--like hot grilled ham and cheese potato

Or have whole wheat crackers and use Tuna or egg salad as a dip

Have oatmeal as a midday meal--you can eat overnight oats cold and make them ahead of time

Mashed Sweet potatoes are a good side dish to get healthy carbs in as well --light on the butter and any added sweeteners
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!!! Recent thing we are trying this next week; rice, chicken breast, and random veggies. The cost is the same as a sandwich (which the cost was another big factor).

Definitely coming back to this thread often! Thank you all again!!!!