Your Favourite Recipe

Options
saedel
saedel Posts: 1 Member
Hi Guys,

The origin of this thread is quite selfish, in that i am struggling to come up with some healthy recipes (what i used to cook is delicious, but far from healthy!).

So i thought, instead of trying to go through each post to find peoples recipes, why not create a all-in-one stop shop for peoples favourite healthy recipes. You can add your favourite recipe for snacks, breakfast, lunch or dinner, anything.

I'll start with my go to recipe: Chicken Shish Taouk

This is a lebanese chicken shish kebab dish, great for a BBQ.

In regards to portions and quantities, i am a firm believer in taste as you go, add a little of this, a little of that etc. This will serve a family.

3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon, juice of
1 tablespoon paprika
0.25 can of tomato paste
1 cup low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons sumaq
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon of dried oregano

6 pieces of chicken breast
Onion
Tomato
Capsicum

You mix all the herbs, oil, garlic, lemon juice together, and have a taste to see if you need to add anything.

Dice in cubes and then add your chicken pieces to the mix, ensure the chicken pieces are not cut to small, as you will dry out the chicken when cooking. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, as the lemon and yogurt works their wonders.

Skewer the chicken pieces, along with some of your favourite vegetables, mine typically includes onion, tomato.

Replies

• jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My current favorite (it changes often). I've made this 3 times already in the last month, have servings in the freezer right now and put this in my Tried and True rotation. It's really good.... http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    new favorite smoothie:
    1.5 cups frozen mixed berries (no sugar added kind)
    1.5 cups V8 Splash Berry Blend
    0.5 cups plain greek yogurt
    ice cubes

Makes enough for 2 good sized smoothies
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This recipe for stuffed capsicums ( red peppers) is delicious.
    The only thing I would change is only use 1 T of balsamic, and I sometimes add a cup of chopped mushrooms.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/stuffed-capsicums-L1053.html
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I threw together a cabbage roll recipe, but changed it into a casserole last night, was really yummy!

I don't measure things...just guess, you can't really f*** up a casserole....

OK, preheat oven to 350

In the meantime...brown some ground meat (turkey, beef, pork, whatever...) then add chopped veggies ( I used mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and green peppers)

Saute a bit, just til warm.

Add some starch --- leftover rice, minute rice, some brown rice that's slightly precooked...again, whatever, you could use lentils or beans instead if that's your thing...

Add some tomato sauce. I used hunts Original, but have also used tomato paste and water...whatever tomato-y flavored sauce you have on hand

In your casserole dish, add a layer of shredded cabbage. Cover with the meat/veggie/rice/sauce mix.

Add some shredded cheese to the top if you like.

If you used pre-cooked rice, beans, or lentils, throw that puppy in the oven for 20 minutes...

If you used brown rice, or other 'not cooked' rice add 1/4-1/2 cup of water around the sides of your casserole so it doesn't dry out, then bake for 30 minutes.

I know, my recipe writing stinks... but honest, these are yummy!

Edit to add: Also, apart from being yummy, this dish can be very diet friendly, protein rich, and kid friendly too ( my 3 and 6 year old nephews LOVE them as long as there is no onion!)
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    C'mon people! Add more recipes! I need ideas :)
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    my absolute favorite right now is a Summer Tomato, Corn, Crab and Avocado salad. It is great because it is quick and light, great for this +100 degree heat!

12 oz Lump Crab Meat
    2 cups grape tomatoes
    1 avocado
    2 Jalapeno peppers
    1.5 cups roasted corn kernels
    1/3 cup diced red onion
    2 limes
    .5 tbsp olive oil
    cilantro to garnish

mix everything together and enjoy! i wanted to add some red peppers too but i was out :(
    this was about 4 servings @ 275 calories
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    my absolute favorite right now is a Summer Tomato, Corn, Crab and Avocado salad. It is great because it is quick and light, great for this +100 degree heat!

12 oz Lump Crab Meat
    2 cups grape tomatoes
    1 avocado
    2 Jalapeno peppers
    1.5 cups roasted corn kernels
    1/3 cup diced red onion
    2 limes
    .5 tbsp olive oil
    cilantro to garnish

mix everything together and enjoy! i wanted to add some red peppers too but i was out :(
    this was about 4 servings @ 275 calories

That sounds delicious...wonder if they have any crab at my local supermarket today ...
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I elegantly call this my Thai pork meatball noodle soup - I'm not sure how authentically Thai it is, since I made it up, but it's reallllllly tasty and a definite hit in our house! It's about 450 calories per serving depending on what veggies you throw in. Play around with the seasonings and spices to get the right flavour and heat for you.

Serves 2

250g minced pork
    2 tsp Thai seasoning (I use Schwartz's Thai 7 Spice powder)
    Salt and pepper
    4 spring onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    An inch long piece of fresh ginger, grated
    Few squirts of Fry-light
    Bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
    1 chilli (as hot as you like, deseeded if you want)
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp fish sauce
    100 g rice noodles (I use the dried flat ribbon ones - you can use fresh, just throw 'em in the pot near the end of cooking so they don't go all soggy and gross)
    Stir-fry vegetables of your choice - I like pak choi, beansprouts, mushrooms, mangetout, baby corn etc
    Half a lime

Sprinkle the ground pork with 1 tsp of the Thai seasoning, half the chopped coriander and a little salt and pepper, mix it all up with your hands and roll into small meatballs.
    Spray the bottom of a saucepan with some fry-light and saute the garlic, ginger and half the spring onions.
    Add about 1 litre of boiling water to the saucepan and carefully drop the meatballs in (add a bit more water if your meatballs aren't all covered). Turn the heat up if necessary to a simmer.
    Add the rest of the coriander (reserving a little for garnish if you like), the soy sauce, fish sauce, the rest of the Thai spice powder and the rice noodles (if using dried).
    Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are cooked. Throw in your stir-fry veggies a minute or two near the end of the cooking time so they retain colour and crunch. If using fresh rice noodles, chuck em in now.
    Divide soup between two bowls, squeeze a lime wedge over the top and sprinkle over the rest of the chopped spring onions, the chopped chilli and any left over coriander.
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Epicure's Malaysian Chicken Satay
    Makes 4 servings

Prep Time: 10 - 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 5 - 10 minutes
    Ingredients
    1 lb (450 g) cubed boneless, skinless chicken
    1 Tbsp (15 ml) Epicure's Malaysian Seasoning
    1 Tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
    1 Tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
    3 Tbsp (45 ml) low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
    Instructions
    1. Combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
    2. Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers in water to prevent scorching and splintering while grilling.
    3. Thread chicken onto prepared skewers and grill over high heat for approximately 3 minutes per side, or until chicken is fully cooked.
    Per Serving : Calories 240, Fat 8 g (Saturated 1.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 95 mg, Sodium 390 mg, Carbohydrate 5 g (Fibre 1 g, Sugars 2 g), Protein 36 g.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is another delicious recipe. I am not vegetarian but this ( and the stuffed pepper recipe) as so yummy I didn't miss having meat with my dinner. I suggest a nice crusty bread roll. :)

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/eggplant-parmigiana-L5914.html

Unlike other parm. recipes the eggplant is NOT crumbed and fried. Eggplant soaks up oil like a giant sponge if you let it!!!!