Breadless Diet?

Options

Replies

• Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I go through periods of not eating bread and I lose weight quickly without trying because I replace those empty carbs with veggies and fruit. I just spend about a week at a conference, so I had some time off from my healthy eating, but back to breadless tomorrow now that I've been grocery shopping tonight and I've got some meals ready for tomorrow.

I had a Paleo-style burger a couple days ago at a restaurant in Austin, Texas -- a grass-fed beef burger with portobello mushroom buns. It was really drippy. Good in its own way, but hardly like having a real burger. I keep bread as a treat when I want something like a real burger. I really miss bread in the first few days I stop eating it, but then I don't when I've been off the high starch foods for a while.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Go primal, great results. http://www.marksdailyapple.com

I second this. I have never felt better in my life, even when I was thin before. My husband and I are new people! Editing to add that yes, lunch meat is full of junk. Hormel does make some "natural" stuff that you could check out. I don't remember it being completely ideal, but certainly better than the alternatives.
  • jodyw83
    jodyw83 Posts: 38
    Options
    It's risky to cut out a whole food group when you are trying to lose weight. If you just allow yourself a reasonable portion size and fill up with low cal fruits and veggies, then you can satisfy that craving without feeling miserable or guilty. And your body NEEDS CARBS! I hate the low carb. I did it. Then I looked at a potato wrong and gained all the weight back. Look at your default MFP graphs and I know that mine is 55% carbs. We need these quick burning calories to get through, but people just eat too much of them. In moderation is fine. I eat a baked potato almost every day and I'm not shy of a sandwich or pasta and I've lost 50 lbs in a little under four months. I know it will be a lasting change because I'm not eliminating anything from my diet FOREVER! It's better to lose a little more slowly and spend this time learning how to eat properly. Then it won't be such a challenge when we are doing maintenance for the rest of our lives :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I was forced to give up bread, b/c of gluten. I don't miss it much. (I found gluten-free bread to be nasty) In turn there is no point in deli meats for me (loaded w/ salt & preservatives anyway) I never go hungry. I eat a lot of fruits & vegetables & dairy (which I don't have a problem with).Most bread is a lot of empty calories. It can be done. Good luck
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    It's risky to cut out a whole food group when you are trying to lose weight. If you just allow yourself a reasonable portion size and fill up with low cal fruits and veggies, then you can satisfy that craving without feeling miserable or guilty. And your body NEEDS CARBS! I hate the low carb. I did it. Then I looked at a potato wrong and gained all the weight back. Look at your default MFP graphs and I know that mine is 55% carbs. We need these quick burning calories to get through, but people just eat too much of them. In moderation is fine. I eat a baked potato almost every day and I'm not shy of a sandwich or pasta and I've lost 50 lbs in a little under four months. I know it will be a lasting change because I'm not eliminating anything from my diet FOREVER! It's better to lose a little more slowly and spend this time learning how to eat properly. Then it won't be such a challenge when we are doing maintenance for the rest of our lives :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Dang, I brought up an interesting topic! I am not going to completely eliminate a food group. I am just substituting it. I look on the package of my bread, and all that it has listed are Calories, Calories from fat, and Carbs. Nutritionally it doesn't do anything for me. Given, it is the cheapest bread in the aisle. But I can still get the same amount of carbs, with fiber, in my cereal, and not have to add on extra calories like mayo and mustard, cheese and whatever is in my lunchmeat, not to mention what is put on toast.
    As far as breakfast, I have gotten rid of my one true love in the morning, pancakes and syrup. Maybe I will eat at Denny's about once a month to reward myself. I am going to focus on protein intake. I have increased my protein goals, as well as fat, because a lot of times they go hand in hand. I think my body can keep up with the fat intake, as long as it does not outweigh everything else.
    One of the previous people suggested substitute Tortillas for bread. I might like that trick, although I dont know what is in tortillas either, besides flour. But I think that would give me an excuse to make cheese quesadillas all the time. I would be too tempted not to.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Bread really doesn't seem to have much value in my diet except as a comfort food. I don't eat much of it anymore
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free due to an intolerance so I don't typically eat bread. When I do it's got to be gluten free and it just isn't the same as the wheat bread we're all used to. I make mine because I don't want to pay $7 for a loaf of specialty bread when it's cheap to make at home! Giving up bread doesn't mean that you have a carb free diet though. I get plenty of carbs from fruits, vegetables and gluten free grains that I occasionally eat.

In place of bread I will use corn tortillas, lettuce or just roll up the lunch meat around some cheese and squirt a little spicy mustard on it. But I've never been a big bread fan anyway so I'm not saddened by this. It was a happy day for me when I realized that I could get a lettuce wrapped burger at Carl's Jr. and not because I was low carb or even gluten free at the time!
  • cfloresmt
    cfloresmt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet. <10gr a day carbs I try. Feel amazing and havent looked this good in years, and with intermittent fasting I feel much more alert and active before my eating window.

Anyways, things get so easy once your body adjusts to things. You become less hungry, more alert and aware of things. A v low carb diet really made a HUGE difference to me. Fat melts off if you couple it with some weight lifting. I built muscle and lost loads of bf in just two months on this diet.

Bread and pizza were my favourite food. No more, and the few times I try eating it out nowadays I start craving for my meat. Get your body to adjust to things you want it to adjust to, at first it will be difficult but things get much easier past the first slope. Progress will keep you going.
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options

Dang, I brought up an interesting topic! I am not going to completely eliminate a food group. I am just substituting it. I look on the package of my bread, and all that it has listed are Calories, Calories from fat, and Carbs. Nutritionally it doesn't do anything for me. Given, it is the cheapest bread in the aisle. But I can still get the same amount of carbs, with fiber, in my cereal, and not have to add on extra calories like mayo and mustard, cheese and whatever is in my lunchmeat, not to mention what is put on toast.
    As far as breakfast, I have gotten rid of my one true love in the morning, pancakes and syrup. Maybe I will eat at Denny's about once a month to reward myself. I am going to focus on protein intake. I have increased my protein goals, as well as fat, because a lot of times they go hand in hand. I think my body can keep up with the fat intake, as long as it does not outweigh everything else.
    One of the previous people suggested substitute Tortillas for bread. I might like that trick, although I dont know what is in tortillas either, besides flour. But I think that would give me an excuse to make cheese quesadillas all the time. I would be too tempted not to.

I wouldn't look at it as eliminating a whole food group when there are so few nutritional benefits that you get from eating it! Vegetables still give you your carb intake and are highly nutritious. No one mentioned giving up potatoes.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    I'm gluten free due to an intolerance so I don't typically eat bread. When I do it's got to be gluten free and it just isn't the same as the wheat bread we're all used to. I make mine because I don't want to pay $7 for a loaf of specialty bread when it's cheap to make at home! Giving up bread doesn't mean that you have a carb free diet though. I get plenty of carbs from fruits, vegetables and gluten free grains that I occasionally eat.

In place of bread I will use corn tortillas, lettuce or just roll up the lunch meat around some cheese and squirt a little spicy mustard on it. But I've never been a big bread fan anyway so I'm not saddened by this. It was a happy day for me when I realized that I could get a lettuce wrapped burger at Carl's Jr. and not because I was low carb or even gluten free at the time!

Oooooh, what I wouldn't do for a Double Western right now!
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet. <10gr a day carbs I try. Feel amazing and havent looked this good in years, and with intermittent fasting I feel much more alert and active before my eating window.

Anyways, things get so easy once your body adjusts to things. You become less hungry, more alert and aware of things. A v low carb diet really made a HUGE difference to me. Fat melts off if you couple it with some weight lifting. I built muscle and lost loads of bf in just two months on this diet.

Bread and pizza were my favourite food. No more, and the few times I try eating it out nowadays I start craving for my meat. Get your body to adjust to things you want it to adjust to, at first it will be difficult but things get much easier past the first slope. Progress will keep you going.

^^^^ THIS
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Amen to all that.

Cut way back on sugar (or anything that metabolises down to glucose, i.e. carbs) and you won't crave the junk.

Plus you get to appreciate the natural sweetness in something like a Bell Pepper. Bonus :)

As for bread (and grains in general) not only are they not useful to me nutritionally or from a fat loss perspective but they are potentially harmful to my health in general.

Check out leaky gut syndrome and auto-immune diseases, grains just don't help whether you have been diagnosed with an intolerance or not. "Healthy Whole Grains" they ain't.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    What is cool about where I live, is there are not very many fast food joints where I live. Downtown Sacramento is a very localized place, so it is hard to find fast food in the heart of downtown, or anywhere on the main grid. Most of the places are Mom/Pop Shops. There are 3 subways though, within a 2 mile area, and that is SPLENDID! Plus, I dont have a car, so that makes it easier (i know, oxymoron). This helps me eat better, and stay on track. The Chinese food place/liquor store that is owned by middle easterners is horrible, so I do not go there, and the fish and chips place across the street, run by the orientals, is kind of expensive (that is not a racial slur, I just find that a little ironic). A healthy market is 7 blocks from me, and there are farmer's markets virtually every day down here. It is wonderful. So I am going to be a very active person when school starts up. I think a low carb diet will be the ticket with me. I have already found an alternative to koolaid: V8 Fusion (VERY good and VERY healthy). I am in the beginning stages of finding out what I need/ dont need, as well as like/dont like. Such as, I like chopped potatoes, fried in EV OL (light), and seasoned with garlic. Great side for me, and a ton of potassium.
  • jsabet
    jsabet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Give up the simple carbs, sugar, starches, grains, flour. Bread only makes you want more bread that makes you want more bread.... After three horrible days, you'll feel completely detached from wanting any starches. Then you just gotta eat protein.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I am a (former) bread lover. I could tear into a crusty sourdough loaf and have it gone within an hour. Not anymore. I went primal and I seriously couldn't give a crap about bread anymore. It always made me feel bloated and gross, and even if I thought it tasted "good," it really was only as good as what I put on it (meat or butter). Its bland and nutritionally empty so I personally have no place for it in my life.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    I am a (former) bread lover. I could tear into a crusty sourdough loaf and have it gone within an hour. Not anymore. I went primal and I seriously couldn't give a crap about bread anymore. It always made me feel bloated and gross, and even if I thought it tasted "good," it really was only as good as what I put on it (meat or butter). Its bland and nutritionally empty so I personally have no place for it in my life.

I would binge on french baguettes. Once I started, I could not stop and they would be gone in less than an hour, even though they were like 2500 calories!
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Downtown Sac rocks. :) I used to live in Sac back in the 70's- showin' my age.

I skip the bread except as a rare treat if I am dining out. Otherwise I use tortillas- Sante Fe Tortilla Factory (100 calories each- Sam's club has these- pack of 20 is about 5 bucks) and Mama Lupes low carb (60 calories each- pack of 8 is about 2.50 at WalMart). Most of the other types taste nasty to me- like lawn clippings would probably taste! :) One of my favorite lunches is a BLOAT- bacon (turkey bacon), lettuce, onion, avocado, and tomato- on a tortilla. 183- 223 calories depending on the tortilla.

Cereals- Kashi is really high in sugar- and expensive. Normally I wasn't eating cereal, but then I found Uncle Sam Original. It is toasted whole wheat flakes and flax seed only- so <1 gram sugar per serving. It's 190 calories per serving and the fat grams are good fats from the flax; it helps you stay full. I get a 13 oz box at WalMart for $2.88 and it lasts about a week eating it daily. One serving keeps me full for several hours- I use stevia to sweeten it and some cinnamon- it's a little plain without it. Depending on the day- I stop there or I might add some fruit. WalMart also has really inexpensive puffed brown rice cereal in a bag- it is with the bulk bagged cereals- and is only about $2.25 for a pound. Again, there is nothing added so you have to dress it up yourself. I use almond milk on my cereal- it is only 40 calories per cup- and I just don't like moo juice anyway.

Pancakes are easy! Protein pancakes are a good substitute. I have been making mine with 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, and 1/4 cup (+/-) of egg beaters (or an egg). Mix it together with an immersion (stick) blender until it is smooth like pancake batter. If it is too thick add a little more of the egg beaters. I don't bother adding sweetners or even vanilla to the batter, but you sure could. I do add 1/4 cup blueberries to the batter- and use another 1/4 cup blueberries mixed with 1/4 cup sugarfree log cabin syrup. You can even make these ahead and freeze them. These are high protein (26 grams) and only 313 calories even with the blueberries and the syrup. Makes a couple of pancakes and they are filling.

I have discovered quinoa (which is seed from a type of grass rather than a grain) keeps me so darn full that I am a happy camper for about 4 hours! It's not cheap- but a pound of it ($5.00) lasts a week or more even eating it daily. I have been making lime cilantro quinoa and keeping it in the fridge- then I scoop out a serving, add black beans and corn on top, and then avocado on top of that.

Hope this helps! :)
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Wow, tisha, that is very helpful. that pancake recipe sounds great! I always just put the box stuff in the cup, and add water, having to add more powder and water until it balances out. This would cause me to cram three 8" pancakes, and I know that cant be healthy!

I get Kashi at my Grocery Outlet, and they are $2.59-2.99 per 11 oz. box. They are a few months to their expiration dates (GO is a liquidation market, so you have to check the dates), but at about 75% off I figured I would try it. Some do have a good amount of sugar, but they also have a lot of grain, which translates into fiber. Protein is about 7 grams per serving.

I will be honest I looked over a few of the flax seed cereal, and as you stated, it was high in fat, so i was deterred immediately. Never tried any thing majoring in flax, so I dont know how it is used or what it does for you. I did notice that the FS cereal did not have a lot of protein either. Currently, I am focusing on the protein and fiber intake, as well as reducing the fat and carbs intake. I am learning about all of this as a sponge soaks water, so that I can fill my kitchen right. the only things in my freezer are veggies, meat, energy bars, and of course, ice. the closest thing to junk I have in my kitchen right now is cheese, boxes potatoes, and saltines. I forgot what Ice cream tastes like.

I will be investigating all of this. I keep the posts in the " my posts" file so I will be sure to look on it next time I go shopping. Thank you very much!
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree- my major gripe about cereal is it often has minimal protein. :) The particular cereal I mentioned has 5 grams of fat, 10grams fiber and 7grams of protein. But- it is definitely bland without some help! You're getting a great deal on Kashi... We have a factory here in the town where I live and it is still about $4.50+ per box.

Here is a link about flax seed http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed which gives some good general info. Quality wise, the fats in flax rank right up there with salmon, almonds, avocado, and olive oil. Here's a great Harvard public health article about fats in general and how they work in the body.... http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/index.html Warning- it's a little heavy on physiology, but it's good info.

Welcome to MFP- happy losing! :)
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    There's a lot of truth to the assertion that highly-processed grains are not good for the body because they are high in glycemic index and glycemic load. You can eat things like crackers and high-glycemic breads and potato chips and not feel full because they increase blood sugar too quickly and are digested too quickly--hence you are hungry again and can't get enough.

Some considerations, however:

1. Not all carbs are created equal, and not all breads are created equal. Pumpernickel, whole-grain breads, fettucine are all relatively low in glycemic load (GL) vs. those baguettes you mentioned which are much higher. Whole grains are also good sources of iron, magnesium and dietary fiber. But: you have to be careful and check the package, because a lot of "wheat" breads are not whole grains and have had the nutrients extracted (gotta love the American food-processing industry) and include added sugar such as in the form of corn syrup.

2. Substituting whole-grain breads with corn tortillas will probably carry no glycemic benefit--the whole-grain bread is somewhat lower in glycemic load (although corn tortillas are by themselves relatively low in GL). If you substitute, however, a whole-wheat tortilla for white bread, that comparatively is a larger benefit. You can find information on glycemic loads of different foods here:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

2. To the primal dieters, the Unfrozen Cavemen Clan, realize you are (a) eating a meal plan formulated in the Paleolithic era when the average lifespan was 35 years old (b) depriving yourself of vitamins and minerals found in whole grains and fruits and dairy, such as calcium and A, B and C vitamins. Yeah you're losing weight, probably fast, because you're filled on protein and probably your body is malnourished .... If you want your hair and teeth to resemble that which existed in caveman times, go for it. And by the way, we have no scientific evidence that a Paleo diet is good for anybody long-term because they all died in their 30s from bashing each other's skulls with stones and crude, sharp objects. And not only does the diet lack peer review, bu there are also ethical considerations in eating a diet so dependent on protein, including from cattle, which takes vast amounts of land and energy resources.

3. As for people with gluten issues, they have to eliminate whole grains. Everyone else, however, does not, and by eliminating whole grains you miss out on some nutritional benefit:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/gluten-free-diet_b_907027.html

Latest research on low-GL/GI diets vs. Atkins is here:
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Lastly, before eliminating grains, are you pre-diabetic, show signs of it, and how much are you working out? I'm at a tradeoff between wanting to lose some belly fat (and having a history of diabetes in my family) so something like no-bread would help for a week or two, vs. wanting the low-GL breads or grains and fruit at least to fuel long workouts and provide nutrition. I do note that the no-bread, phase 1 of the South Beach Diet lasts only two weeks after which the cardiologist who invented it has the sense to feed people whole grains and fruits and allow them wine (which slows digestion).

Generally, you're right on the money about the baguettes, though there are shades of differences with breads and carbs. And I think you also have to think about where you are in terms of health and what you're doing in terms of workouts before ditching good forms of carbs such as whole grains.