Hello... Any advice?

Options
Hey everyone, my name is Caitlyn.. I am eighteen years old and over 300 pounds.. I wear a 26/28 in clothing and I wish to no longer be that size.. I am highly concerned about my health and want to start a healthy diet and exercise program. I'm going to walk with a few friends soon and quit drinking soda. I've read in numerous articles that by just dropping soda, your weight can be tremendously reduced. I just wanna make some support buddies so we can help each other out. If you have any advice for me, feel free to let me know! I could use all the help I could get.. Please and thanks! :))

Replies

• WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Wilma. :)

I've stop drinking soda about a month ago and yeah, it does help with your weight a lot. But welcome to MFP! This site will help you so much. I'm actually on a Slim Fast diet too at the same time. Not recommending to follow their plans, but I drink the stuff and eat the bars and still eat normal food as I want with it and still eat healthy!
  • rachel7mj
    rachel7mj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Rachel, that's awesome what you're doing! I go on a daily walk and it has really helped me lose weight. Another thing I did is when I first started dieting, I did 2 weeks of only eating 20 carbs a day. Its part of the Atkins diet I think. Basically I ate a lot of eggs, cheese, and other things that were very low carb (eggs have none, and some cheeses don't have any) Plus I went on the daily walks and did an exercise routine every night. After that I've just been cutting out sugars and bread and counting calories of this website.
  • socalmo
    socalmo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! And I hope that you have a long and wonderful path to living a healthier lifestyle. It's awesome that you are going to start walking and just watching what you eat will be an awesome start. There will be times where it's hard, but if you get over those minor speed bumps, you will definitely reach all of your goals. You can add me :) socalmo
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn more calories than you eat/drink, you will lose weight. Cutting out sodas is one way to reduce your intake of calories. Good luck!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Dropping soda's great, exercise is also good. Try to follow the guidelines first and see if they work for you before judging them too harshly(I've seen alot of people who are just like oh.. that'll never work) try to measure your foods precisely and to the best accuracy that you have available and log EVERYTHING, even if u eat something u consider "bad" Being here's a step in the right direction. Good luck and if you wanna add me feel free, and if you have any questions there are all kinds of answers but it really comes down to- try to eat better food and maintain less calories in than calories out ;)
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP. Good for you for realizing how important your health is at a young age!

You are doing great by cutting out the soda. Small changes can lead to big results. Keep up with walking, and try to think up other ways to add in a few minutes of activity everyday (I started off by just doing 15 minutes walking up & down my stairwell). Keep checking back here and let us know how you are doing!
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My son is just a lil younger than you and in the last year has gone from nearly 300 pounds to 164! He's cut out all sodas and fast foods, in addition to some other foods. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • naivenitara
    Options
    Hi Caitlyn! That's awesome that you want to make some positive changes for your help! My advice is to remember that not all your success can be measured by a scale. Sometimes you'll work really hard and not lose a pound and it can be really discouraging. But no that you're making great strides for your health. You're also probably losing inches, gaining muscle, increasing your stamina, and gaining energy- all things that can't be measured on a scale. Good luck with your weight loss journey. My fitness pal is a great resource! Feel free to add me.
  • phil85207
    phil85207 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am so glad you made up your mind to take action and take control of your body. I lost two of my siblings to weight issues much to early because they just couldn't take that control. Congratulations on taking action. You will do great.
  • Amandat_78
    Amandat_78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!!!! You are going to love the support you will get here. You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to! Keep your chin up! Create a plan and stick to it. I know that is so much easier said than done, but I promise it will work. Let me know how I can help. I can share some of the things that have worked for me. I am in the process of getting back on track. Last Fall I lost about 30 pounds, but have since put it all back on plus some. I have yo-yo'd all my life. Feel free to add me, if you'd like! :o)
  • Candywoodroof
    Options
    Hi, I am Candace. I just began MFP. I am proud of you for being open and honest about where you are at in life. I am 26 and am married with one beautiful boy. I am about 100 pounds overweight and I have been overweight for forever. I am getting more active but it isn't easy. For advice, I can tell you what has helped me ( I have lost 60 pounds twice). Get active and have fun with it - do it with friends. Make it something you can schedule - like 2-3 times a week. Be careful to not eat when you are real emotional. Watch your portions. For me, I don't like diets where you say "I can't have __________." I like my cookies and ice cream. They are both fine when eaten in moderation. Sometimes one serving of ice cream can be 150 calories but that is ONE serving not a milkshake. Fruits and veggies and lots of water. I hope this helps. Hope we can be friends. God bless and You can do all things through Christ who gives you the strength you need. :smile:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Oh sister you asked for it so here goes...

Here's the thinking that got helped me on my way:

The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

I naturally tended to do 2-4 days between 1200-1300 cal then a day at about 1500-1600 cal then back to the 1200-1300 cal. (No hard science here, but I credit the zig-zagging calories with preventing plateaus.)

--As long as I stayed under the top of my range I should continue to lose, even if it is at a slower rate.
    --As long as I don't go past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.

6) I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

Food is not the enemy.

Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck
  • CaitLett12
    CaitLett12 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! :))
  • CaitLett12
    Options
    Thank you! I'm really wanting to lose weight.. the only problem is eggs make me really sick. It's like I'm allergic to them or something. lol
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have some great advice I just posted on my first ever you tube video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJoF0wJNGwE

gonna be a weekly thing!

feel free to add me here!
  • shatmae
    shatmae Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello Caitlyn,

I am Shayla, I just started using this site but I've lost weight by diet and exercise before using this site. I joined to mostly be able to keep track of what it is I'm really eating. Cutting out soda sounds like a great idea. Studies show the best way to loose weight is with your diet and exercise combined. The walking group should really help with that. Try focusing following the food guide (or pyramid since it appears you are American) and eating the right number of each category. This will help give your body the nutrients it needs and help keep you energized and feeling full throughout the day. Make sure to eat breakfast as well, as this will help keep your body out of starvation mode which can cause your body to store instead of burn fat.
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    Drank diet soda since I was 10 or 11, back in the days of TAB.
    I'd tried several times to give it up,but wasn't successful until I replaced it with coffee.
    The caffeine wasn't as much of an issue for me as the chemicals.

Soda some how stressed me in a way that coffee does not.
    I feel much better, less stressed.
    I've also recently read articles about coffee's health benefits... mood enhancer, anti oxidants,etc.
    So I've got two factors going here.

I on very rare occasions have a soda, but find it really increases my appetite. So if I want to keep in my calorie range, it's best for me to avoid it.

Seeing my Mom is what motivated me to give it up. She's been a big time diet soda drinker as long as I can remember.
    She'd been plagued with migraines her whole life. And now she is literally crippled with osteoporosis and has had chronic pain issues for years.

It's not scientific proof, it's just one story, which I happened to witness.
    If diet soda is the root of these evils and I give it up hopefully I can save some suffering.
    If diet soda is completely benign and I give it up what harm have I done? Not like it's supplying any vital nutrients.
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    Watch your sugar

BOTH sugar and artificial sweeteners increase your appetite.... The more you get the more you want.

I DO have a sweet tooth, so I try really hard to watch out for sugar in *real* foods.

The brand of pasta sauce I was using had 9g sugar per 1/2 cup serving.
    My favorite cookies have 9g sugar per 15 cookies. --- I'd rather have the cookies.

I started reading labels and found sauces I liked in the 1-3g sugar per serving range.
    I get plain yogurt and add my own flavorings so I can have more control over the sugar content.

Food manufactures love adding sugars, because they are cheap and they make you want more.
    HFCS is much sweeter than regular sugar AND food manufacturers use MORE of it. (Huh?)
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    Well, the good news is you don't have to do it all at once... even though I dumped it on you all at once.

A series of small sustainable changes it what'll get you there.

Good Luck
  • CaitLett12
    Options
    Lol, thank you sooo much for the advice! I'll come back to it and read it when I need help. Thanks again! :)