Nurse in need!

Options
Hi all! I started MFP in October 2011 and have since lost 41 lbs. I am currently stuck in a rut and just can't seem to obtain the motivation to get out of it! I write this thread in hopes that I will be able to gain some supporters who can help me on my journey to a healthier lifestyle. I work as a registered nurse and find that when I get home from work is when the junk food junkie in me comes out full swing!! I have a hard time finding healthy foods to snack on. Anyone who can give me guidance it would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a nursing student, but I previously worked as a hair stylist, and I had the same type of eating habits--not getting a real "lunch break" all day, and then getting home and eating whatever was readily available. I know exactly what you are talking about.
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, if you'd like.
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Protein, Protein, Protein!

I work 12's days and nights, and I find if I don't get enough protein I am a carb craving monster! It's really hard to eat all the protein on nights, but I find ProMax bars are awesome at nailing the carbs and the protein.

Feel free to add me :) I also do Eat More to Weigh Less.
  • NurseNiffa
    NurseNiffa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The part I find the hardest like I mentioned previously is the snacking. I don't like fruit and like very few veggies. I am thinking maybe if I found a time to eat a snack during my shift I might not be so hungry when I get home! In two weeks I am starting a job in home hospice! I am SUPER excited! No more twelve hour shifts for this girl!!! I am thinking since I am going to be on the road quite often that I might pack a lunch that I am able to snack on between visits to keep me from hitting up fast food joints. If any of you have any suggestions let me know!
  • thisisforever21
    Options
    I know exactly how that is, as well. I am a nursing assistant for a hospice organization and I find myself looking for "easy foods" when I eat, because I'm usually on the run, or very tired and don't feel like cooking when I get home. I've gotten better about it, but I still grab for the "nuke and go" and fast foods more often than I should, which unfortunately, usually end up being not the most healthy choices.

Feel free to add me, if you'd like. :)
  • thisisforever21
    Options
    Wow, I missed your last post before I posted my reply. How crazy that you're going into hospice as well! I will tell you now, it doesn't get any easier, but I do pack lunches like you mentioned. And unfortunately I do work some 12 hour shifts as well. It just depends on how many patients I have to see that day.

Good luck with hospice. It's a wonderful thing. I've never been happier with a job.
  • NurseNiffa
    Options
    Wow, I missed your last post before I posted my reply. How crazy that you're going into hospice as well! I will tell you now, it doesn't get any easier, but I do pack lunches like you mentioned. And unfortunately I do work some 12 hour shifts as well. It just depends on how many patients I have to see that day.

Good luck with hospice. It's a wonderful thing. I've never been happier with a job.

Thank you! I am so excited to start my new job! Currently I work on a general surgery/palliative unit, I know weird combo right? I love working in the palliative unit! I find nothing more satisfying and rewarding than being a support person for families and their loved ones during a difficult time. I also find it rewarding to make sure my patients are comfortable during the dying process because I hope that someday someone will do the same for me!! Surgical nursing is just not my cup of tea. I'm hoping that packing my lunches will help me cut down on fast food. I'm also thinking that I'm going to have to plan more gym time because I'm not going to be on my feet as much. I hope that doesn't effect my weight loss!
  • phil85207
    phil85207 Posts: 20
    Options
    Try snacking on nuts. They are quite filling and satisfy that chewing thing too. I like the taste and always follow the nuts with a bottle of water or a mug of tea or coffee. Good luck, I think anyone who has been on a diet for a while has gotten in that rut you speak of and we all understand. Just stand firm and know that this too shall pass.
  • thisisforever21
    Options

Thank you! I am so excited to start my new job! Currently I work on a general surgery/palliative unit, I know weird combo right? I love working in the palliative unit! I find nothing more satisfying and rewarding than being a support person for families and their loved ones during a difficult time. I also find it rewarding to make sure my patients are comfortable during the dying process because I hope that someday someone will do the same for me!! Surgical nursing is just not my cup of tea. I'm hoping that packing my lunches will help me cut down on fast food. I'm also thinking that I'm going to have to plan more gym time because I'm not going to be on my feet as much. I hope that doesn't effect my weight loss!

You hit the nail on the head with your last couple of sentences. That is what has been the hardest for me working in home hospice... you spend 75% of the day driving and the other 25% (for me) is somewhat active, but not nearly enough.

Judging by what you have already been doing, you will LOVE hospice! I can't imagine working in surgical, I'm sure it's interesting if nothing else. :)
  • NurseNiffa
    Options
    Try snacking on nuts. They are quite filling and satisfy that chewing thing too. I like the taste and always follow the nuts with a bottle of water or a mug of tea or coffee. Good luck, I think anyone who has been on a diet for a while has gotten in that rut you speak of and we all understand. Just stand firm and know that this too shall pass.

Good suggestion! Thank you!
  • Raestanke9
    Raestanke9 Posts: 24
    Options
    I am a nursing student and I know exactly how you feel. I have such a hard time coming home and wanting to eat right away. I have made a rule for myself that I have to drink a full water bottle (re usable kind) of ice water before I can eat, cuz most of the time I am more thirsty than hungry. I also go through my snacks and put them all in portion size zip lock bags, cheaper than buying them like that! You can do this I know it!
  • NurseNiffa
    Options
    I am a nursing student and I know exactly how you feel. I have such a hard time coming home and wanting to eat right away. I have made a rule for myself that I have to drink a full water bottle (re usable kind) of ice water before I can eat, cuz most of the time I am more thirsty than hungry. I also go through my snacks and put them all in portion size zip lock bags, cheaper than buying them like that! You can do this I know it!

That is a great rule and one I will definitely have to try!! Thanks for the encouragement!!
  • NurseNiffa
    Options
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The part I find the hardest like I mentioned previously is the snacking. I don't like fruit and like very few veggies. I am thinking maybe if I found a time to eat a snack during my shift I might not be so hungry when I get home! In two weeks I am starting a job in home hospice! I am SUPER excited! No more twelve hour shifts for this girl!!! I am thinking since I am going to be on the road quite often that I might pack a lunch that I am able to snack on between visits to keep me from hitting up fast food joints. If any of you have any suggestions let me know!
    Personally I'd pack a salad lunch (no mayo or dressing) in a electric cooler box, one that you can plug into your car's power supply so it keeps your food cool. Nothing worse than warm sandwiches or salad. Secondly I'd take a flask of hot water, some dried noodles, and some kind of easy protein, half a pack of noodles in a bowl with some fish, add dash of soy sause and lime juice, and you've a great afternoon pick me up, keep hunger pangs away till Evening meal, (I work 12 hour days 5 days a week, so eat 6 small meals a day, and noodles really really help to keep me away from the chocolate machine)