Starving Myself?

Options
So I've been slowly easing myself into the whole diet and exercise thing, and recently I've found the motivation to fit it hard and go full throtle. However, I'm having a hard time filling up my daily calories with healthy food. I usually dont eat back the calories I burn exercising. Today, by the end of everything, my tracker said I still had over 1,500 calories to eat! I'm maybe a bit hungry but not starving by any means. I hd a big nutritious breakfast and ate a little more throughout the day when I felt hungry. Jogged about 4or5 miles. So what do I do? I don't want to fill my diet with higher calorie options, but how do I find the middle ground?

Replies

• Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I always try to eat my cals.
    If you are having trouble eating them all, maybe try something like a whole grain granola bar or a bowl of wholegrain cereal with milk in the evening?

x
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm normally a hundred or so off so I keep little custard pots in the fridge for those days, also nuts are great if you need to pack in the calories :D get a box of things you can graze off when you are in a nibbly mood and keep them out of sight (so you don't go snacking when you don't need to) and dip in when you need to use up those calories.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    see, i'm trying really hard not to eat processed foods. I know I could get more calories from them, but along with that I could get a lot less appealing things in my body. I want to eat as natural as my budget and time allows. But its hard to bulk up on blueberries
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Maybe like the other lady said and have some nuts? Macadamia nuts are gorgeous!
    Cashew nuts are too. You can get lots of natural food and up your cals that way x
  • SammyW89
    SammyW89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm always under my calories, I just can't eat more....

I think i'm going to have to get some nuts to try and have a few. I usually snack on fruit, but not enough calories..
  • swiftjay
    swiftjay Posts: 8
    Options
    Same, I find it quite hard to eat all my calories yesturday I had 1k calories left to eat. The thing is I'm quite limited to what I can eat due to my fatty liver that and I'm only hungry when it's around 11pm which is always a bad time to eat.

If you want to something to eat i'd try dried apricots from super markets or bananas. Bananas have quite alot of calories that could fill up your calorie intake alot, that or boxes of grapes if I wasn't hungry I'd probably do that too.
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    thats a great idea. thank you
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Avocado, hummus, whole milk cottage cheese or mozzarella, peanut/almond butter.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    1500?! Wow!

I used to think I was really low but then I got my HRM and realised the calories I was logging were much more than what I was actually burning. Just be careful you dont try too hard to eat everything back and actually end up going over. Also be wary of portion sizes as usually we think something we eat is smaller than what it is..
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    more great options. thank you
  • boopboopadoop
    Options
    I am so jealous of the people who find it HARD to reach their calorie goals!!
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    its hard to eat RIGHT and reach my calorie goal. I can cram in all the ice cream I want but that ain't getting me anywhere. I need to learn to eat good calories
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time as well reaching my goal (1400) as well. I seem to under Net a lot anymore, its not that I am not eating I am almost too full. Everything is measured and weighed, exercise calories are from a HRM but I am limited to what I can eat for health reason
  • hbarker216
    hbarker216 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This doesn't make any sense to me! Why do you have to "eat your calories back" that seems like nonsense. If you feel like you are eating enough...then shouldn't that be enough? I mean the caloric expenditure on mfp isn't accurate anyways. I have been eating around 600-800 calories a day which is below the "recommended" 1200 calories a day for a "normal woman". However I am not "normal", I am "obese". Therefore there will be no such thing as starvation mode or any reason to eat back calories if I decided to exercise especially if I feel satisfied. My doctor is even aware of my daily intake, and he said its perfectly fine because I have plenty fat storage for energy as long as I'm taking vitamins.

Look up "starvation mode myth" to better assure yourself.
  • MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    bump ..
    just to see where this might turn...
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    This doesn't make any sense to me! Why do you have to "eat your calories back" that seems like nonsense. If you feel like you are eating enough...then shouldn't that be enough? I mean the caloric expenditure on mfp isn't accurate anyways. I have been eating around 600-800 calories a day which is below the "recommended" 1200 calories a day for a "normal woman". However I am not "normal", I am "obese". Therefore there will be no such thing as starvation mode or any reason to eat back calories if I decided to exercise especially if I feel satisfied. My doctor is even aware of my daily intake, and he said its perfectly fine because I have plenty fat storage for energy as long as I'm taking vitamins.

this
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Why do people 1-4 weeks into a "Diet" always talk about not being able to eat 1500 calories a day when they just stopped eating probably over 2500 per day? Give yourself another 1-2 weeks and you WILL eat your calories and wish you had more.
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I'm right there with you. I couldn't imagine forcing yourself to eat more and more and more when supposedly trying to loose.
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    im pretty new here, but a few months into my diet. Recently i've finally willed myself to give up the last bit of junk in my diet (like soda) but I really dont know how to fill my day out with enough calories if I'm eating the way I want too. Hummus and avocados sound like a good way to go for me
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Why do people 1-4 weeks into a "Diet" always talk about not being able to eat 1500 calories a day when they just stopped eating probably over 2500 per day? Give yourself another 1-2 weeks and you WILL eat your calories and wish you had more.

You are assuming that just because of a MFP start date that we have just started this journey. I was on WW and other diets for over a year with Zero results eating between 600-800 calories a day, I gained bloat from eating their frozen dinners and earned myself a trip to the ICU with a heart attack