Help! Acid Reflux -Too Few Calories, Need to Up Them?

Options
Nan_
Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
Hi! MFP has set me at 1200 calories but I've noticed that my acid reflux seems to be worse now that I am dieting. These last few weeks I've cut out a lot of sweets and pop and junk that I used to eat and added more vegies and fruits. These were all fruits and vegies and things that I could eat before with no problem only I'm eating them more often. I'm not eating oranges or tomatoes or anything like that because I *know* that it makes me reflux..

But now, I am having more trouble with heartburn and I don't know why. It's weird because I am eating better and healthier since I started dieting and cut out the cookies and ice cream and chocolate and pop but seem to have heartburn more often now than when I was eating really poorly. Maybe because I was eating more often and my stomach wasn't empty, I don't know. I struggle with trying to get up to the 1200 calories because I'm afraid of making the heartburn worse. Yet last month I felt much better in terms of heartburn (before I got serious about my diet).

I do eat unbuttered popcorn but I've always been able to eat that with no trouble. That's the problem, I can't seem to pinpoint what I'm eating that's the problem because it's all stuff I ate before......except the chocolate and desserts and stuff that I cut out and am no longer eating. So why the reflux?

Tonight I remembered that the last time I went on a 1200 diet I had heartburn trouble too, so I am wondering if my calories are too low and my stomach to empty at times and maybe that's the problem? I thought about upping my calories but I don't really know what to set them at or how to do it. I tried messing with the goals but MFP only upped it to 1220 calories or something like that.

I don't really know how many calories to up it to. 1300? 1400? I want to up it to a good healthy weight but also still be able to lose the extra weight I've gained.

I am 54 years old, 5'6" and currently weigh 141 pounds. I exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes. By the way, I take prilosec for my heartburn every day, and I do have a doctor that I go to for my reflux and I will go to him if the reflux keeps bothering me, but I wanted to see if maybe my stomach is just too empty and the reflux is acting up due to less calories.

I'd like to get back down to about 129 or 130 again. So if anybody has any idea how I can change my goals and how many calories I should eat and yet still be able to lose weight I would really appreciate it. There must be a way that I can eat more calories and yet still lose weight!!!! Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Replies

• mwhtmh
    mwhtmh Posts: 14
    Options
    Since you are already taking prescription medicine for acid reflux, you should see your doctor, since it is getting worse.:love::love:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are sensitive to a particular food and an elimination diet would help?

Cutting common problem foods like: Grains, Legumes and Dairy might help track it down?

Just cut one group at a time, give it week or so and see if anything changes.

Maybe cutting down to 1200 has altered the balance of your diet (i.e. maybe there is more bread/grains in there as a relatively low-calorie option and this is a problem).

Good work on cutting the sweets and junk out by the way :)

(edit) Regarding the medication, maybe this just isn't what you need and it is making it worse (and masking the real cause), a nutritional solution should be preferred over medication IMO.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    My severe reflux disapseared when I stopped eating refined sugar and white carb foods. :drinker:
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies! I thought I was eating pretty low fat and reflux safe foods but obviously something is going on. Thanks for the suggestions and also for the link and I will plan on seeing my doctor to see if we can get this figured out!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The problem with anti-acids is that you stop your stomach from making the acid that it needs to in order to digest the food. This causes your stomach to make even more acid and it soon becomes a revolving door. Ask your doctor about Sucralfate/Carafate. It coats your stomach but doesn't block the acid production.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It's strange, ever since I've lost weight/began to eat healthier most of my acid reflux is gone