I now believe in "eat more to weigh less" (A MUST READ)

Options

Replies

• phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This I quiet I lengthy post, but trust me it is worth the read.

I started MFP in May with a start weight on 132lb (60.1kgs) I was eating what MFP recommended 1200cals and everything was going great, near the end of June i weighed 122lbs (55.5kgs) I was so close to my first goal 121lbs (55kgs) and then i started thinking mmm lets try and speed up this process by eating less... and I mean way less! I started eating between 800-850 cals a day ignoring MFP starvation mode warnings... I did this from June 18th till July 9th, I never weighed myself for this period thinking the pounds would just fall off! After that three weeks I weighed my self, and boy was i shocked! Instead of the pounds falling off, I gained 2lbs (1kg) I weighed 124lbs (56.5kgs) and even further away from that 1st goal! I was so depressed I even binged that entire day! By night time I pulled my self together and decided to read through MFP forum post to find out what happened and came across the "eat more to weigh less" philosophy. I thought what the hell, lets give this a shot..... I upped my calories to 1450.... at first it was hard to eat this because i gotten used to eating 850cals but I decided to fill it up with many fruits and veg and protein.... lemme add i was afraid of fruit because of their high calories. I started eating 1300-1450cals without changing my exercise routine on the 12th July and today the 26thof July I weigh 120lbs (54.5kgs) a loss of 4lbs (2kgs) in 2weeks! now I'm only 5lbs (2.5kgs) away from my UGW of 114lbs (52kgs) :blushing:

let me add I also started drinking lots of green tea, so I not sure but I think it has something to do with it.... :drinker:
    Fell free to message me if you seek any advice, I will help you best I can...

I'm now a true believer of eat more to weight less! :flowerforyou:

I can relate to this. I started on 1200 (I'm only 5'4" so that was set as lose 1 lb per week) and although I did lose weight, it was so slow. Like 4 lbs in 10 weeks slow. So I tried the Eating More To Lose Weight thing. Started by getting a HRM and eating back all my calorie burns from exercise. It helped, so I upped my net calorie goal slowly. I'm now up to 1450 net per day. The weight comes off quicker, easier and more consistantly, despite MFP settings telling me I should only lose 1/2lb per week at the level, it's double that in reality.

The best thing is, I feel strong and less tired all the time. Starvation mode might be a myth but based on my experience metabolic slowdown isn't.

People are so resistant to try eating more, but if there's a chance you can lose weight and eating more without worrying so much, I think it's definately worth trying!
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Eating more doesn't mean stuffing your face with any random food items... its adding more healthy items to your calorie intake <3
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Options

I started MFP in May with a start weight on 132lb (60.1kgs) I was eating what MFP recommended 1200cals and everything was going great, near the end of June i weighed 122lbs (55.5kgs) I was so close to my first goal 121lbs (55kgs) and then i started thinking mmm lets try and speed up this process by eating less... and I mean way less! I started eating between 800-850 cals a day ignoring MFP starvation mode warnings... I did this from June 18th till July 9th, I never weighed myself for this period thinking the pounds would just fall off! After that three weeks I weighed my self, and boy was i shocked! Instead of the pounds falling off, I gained 2lbs (1kg) I weighed 124lbs (56.5kgs) and even further away from that 1st goal! I was so depressed I even binged that entire day! By night time I pulled my self together and decided to read through MFP forum post to find out what happened and came across the "eat more to weigh less" philosophy. I thought what the hell, lets give this a shot..... I upped my calories to 1450.... at first it was hard to eat this because i gotten used to eating 850cals but I decided to fill it up with many fruits and veg and protein.... lemme add i was afraid of fruit because of their high calories. I started eating 1300-1450cals without changing my exercise routine on the 12th July and today the 26thof July I weigh 120lbs (54.5kgs) a loss of 4lbs (2kgs) in 2weeks! now I'm only 5lbs (2.5kgs) away from my UGW of 114lbs (52kgs) :blushing:

let me add I also started drinking lots of green tea, so I not sure but I think it has something to do with it.... :drinker:

I can relate to this. I started on 1200 (I'm only 5'4" so that was set as lose 1 lb per week) and although I did lose weight, it was so slow. Like 4 lbs in 10 weeks slow. So I tried the Eating More To Lose Weight thing. Started by getting a HRM and eating back all my calorie burns from exercise. It helped, so I upped my net calorie goal slowly. I'm now up to 1450 net per day. The weight comes off quicker, easier and more consistantly, despite MFP settings telling me I should only lose 1/2lb per week at the level, it's double that in reality.

The best thing is, I feel strong and less tired all the time. Starvation mode might be a myth but based on my experience metabolic slowdown isn't.

People are so resistant to try eating more, but if there's a chance you can lose weight and eating more without worrying so much, I think it's definately worth trying!

People should learn from this!
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Sorry but im kind of confused!!!:huh:

So i have 1390 calories per day allowed to eat according to mfp. Does that mean i eat more?

LOL I feel like an idiot.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never understand the "eat more to weigh less" mantra here. It seems quite misleading. I think a lot of people think they just need to eat more - keep everything else the same - and then the weight will start to fall off. Good luck with that one.

I don't believe people are recording their food intake correctly. There is no way for a normal sized adult to eat 850 calories a day and not lose weight. This is a terrible way to lose weight, obviously. But you will lose weight.

Likewise, eating more calories per day will not accelerate weight loss. Just the opposite. Unless there is an increase in exercise to compensate for the increased calorie intake.

--P

You are probably one of the very lucky few who have a great metabolism regardless of what they do or don't eat. There are not very many people who can eat less than 1000 calories a day and have their bodies react calmly. Most of the time your body will go into "starvation" mode - as we did in prehistoric times when food was hard come by/there was famine/winter. The body will store every bit of energy that is consumed as fat so that it would have fuel to draw on. With us, our body still has this inbuilt safety mechanism when suddenly food intake seems to drop without reason. It automatically kicks into storage mode in case this period of starvation will continue indefinitely. As you get older, matey, you might find that the metabolism you have taken for granted might become surprisingly sluggish in ways that are new and confronting. I hope not, but it is a possibility that you need to probably have at the back of your mind.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options

I'm lost... My daily intake is 1200 (mfp calculated) in order to lose 1.6 lbs / week .... Now let's say I eat around 1500 & I burn 300 calories per day so that's 1800 calories that I would have to consume. Wouldn't I gain instead of losing every week? Please help me out because I always end up starving even after consuming 1200 everyday
    Im the same lately. I feel proper hungry on 1200cals some days and won't eat my exercise cals back. I really want to up them some more but being fresh out of an ED i doubt i'l lose if i eat more cause im literally maintaining on 1200cals atm because my body was used to 500cals a day and less. This sucks, it's weird how in my ED days i could get by on 500cals and now at 1200cals i feel like i need more :ohwell:
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have some friends that need to read this. Great post! :flowerforyou:
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    That's how you do it!

Eat more and lose weight--it works!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    bump for later:)
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm happy that you burst through your plateau!
    I've read lots of the "Eat More to Weigh Less" things, but have never tried increasing my calories, since I'm losing at a steady pace. If I ever hit a plateau though, I suppose anything's worth a try :)

I think some people on here are confused about increasing calories and how that helps you lose weight. *It only works if your calories are too low to begin with.* For example, OP was only eating 850 a day for a little while, and that wasn't very healthy. So, she increased her calories to a healthy level, with a reasonable calorie deficit to fit her desired weight loss, and now she's losing weight again :)
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    love it! I'm so glad you're eating more. I'm SUPER glad you've realized that starvation is NOT the way to go... the quicker you learn the better for you. You look absolutely gorgeous. You'll be at your goal in NO time. Keep up the great work sweety!
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump...thanks
  • kcoyle220
    kcoyle220 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I agree. i just want to share. that i when i eat about 1500 calories a day, i lose a lot more weight better. when i was only eating 1200 calories or less per day, i noticed i was not losing weight that well. so i upped my calories to about 1500. and i been losing weight so much better now. i think personally 1200 calories is too low for most people. i recommend 1500 calories per day and working out and you will lose weight.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    OMgosh, thank you thank you for sharing your story!! I am so a believer too but I have messed around so much in the last two weeks that I don't have a success to share, yet, but I will! I just upped my calories as well and I will up them again until I begin to lose;)

Thank you darlin and I will share this with all the peeps I can!! denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • tlonie
    tlonie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree. i just want to share. that i when i eat about 1500 calories a day, i lose a lot more weight better. when i was only eating 1200 calories or less per day, i noticed i was not losing weight that well. so i upped my calories to about 1500. and i been losing weight so much better now. i think personally 1200 calories is too low for most people. i recommend 1500 calories per day and working out and you will lose weight.

I TOTALLY agree! I was losing like a half a pound in the beginining. A week or so ago, I changed mine to MFP's recommendation to lose 1 lb per week at sedentary and it gives me 1620. I eat all those calories and exercise at least 30 minutes/3 days per week (I type it in my notes section as not to give me more calories to eat) and have lost a pound already and its not even time for my weigh in this week. I feel SO much better too. I was so tired when I was eating less, but I eat lots of veggies and fruit most days.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Good for you, OP! :flowerforyou: I didn't stay on 1,200 cals long...was too hungry, felt deprived, and always went over.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I ate on average 500-1000 calories for about four weeks and lost 15lbs. So I don't believe in the "eat more to weigh less", sorry.

Are you planning to eat like that the rest of your life? What happens when you go back to eating "normally"?
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Please everyone who's upped their cals let us know how you get on - I so want to do this but I also am scared I'm going to gain and it's been hard work losing what I have so far ... it would help to "watch a while" if that's possible?

Thank you all
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Options
    I ate on average 500-1000 calories for about four weeks and lost 15lbs. So I don't believe in the "eat more to weigh less", sorry.

Are you planning to eat like that the rest of your life? What happens when you go back to eating "normally"?

Exactly what I was thinking.....