More self-conscious than before?

Options
small_ninja
small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
I can't help but feel that I'm more self-conscious about how I look in clothes than I was a few months ago before I started losing weight, and I'm pretty sure I'm more self-conscious than I was the last time I was at this weight. I still have a bit of weight to lose, but a few years ago this was my stable weight, and I can remember being fairly satisfied with how I looked. But now I still only see what I saw 3 months ago and I'm hating on how I look in clothes even though those clothes are 1-2 sizes smaller than what I was wearing before (and they weren't too tight or anything, they were definitely the right size).

Does anyone else feel more self conscious about how they look than they did before they started, or when they were at their current weight in the past?

Replies

• small_ninja
    Options
    Sweet - must be the only one. Cheers guys :tongue:
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes I do in a way because I pay more attention to myself. Before I really didn't give a hoot about how I looked or how I treated my body which is why I was in the 200+ lb range.
  • Kairunz
    Kairunz Posts: 51
    Options
    I have not lost enough weight to know yet:) but I can understand why you would feel this way because it's constantly on your mind when you are actively trying to change your lifestyle and you want to see a physical change so much. I will you know in about 6 months if this happens to me.
  • andimlovegalore
    andimlovegalore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do a bit actually. I feel good naked =p if that makes sense, but putting clothes on makes me feel weird and self-conscious.

I think for me it's a combination of being more focused on my body than I was before when I didn't think about weight - to be fair that's a pretty small amount of time for me, and I was medicated lol, but when you're thinking about food and fitness thinking about your body comes with it. And if you're prone to feeling self conscious anyway, putting a spotlight on your body will make that worse.

And also I think it's because I'm wearing clothes that don't fit me any more >.< too big clothes are not much more flattering than too small clothes imo.

And... I think when you lose weight it takes a while for your brain to catch up to your body, if that makes any sense. Especially if you lose it all at once or kinda fast. And with your own body it's still easy to just pick up the same flaws you always noticed, and not see the cool new things.

I hope it'll pass. Actually I think it will =] once my dumb brain gets going and I buy some clothes that fit.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    I think when you make the decision to lose weight, you probably are already doing it because you don't like what you see in a mirror. You tend to scrutinise yourself and pick on any flaws, even if other people are complimenting you on how good you look. I wonder how many people actually get to the point where they look in a mirror and simply say, 'done.'
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    At first, then you get used to it and then start to enjoy it :)
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    At first, then you get used to it and then start to enjoy it :)

I agree with this. I've been really self-conscious for many, many years. Yesterday I went shopping and I felt great buying smaller clothes, there are days that I still feel I'm 40 pounds heavier, but those days are getting less and less.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Oh definately, my post from yesterday clearly shows this =/
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes, particularly since I got married...I felt I had not achieved the body I wanted my husband to see on our wedding night and am still dissatisfied (although he says I'm perfect the way I am). That did not help my self-consciousness one bit...

Also, I am very unwilling to expend money on a new wardrobe that fits me right now because I have a little less than a third of my journey to go still...which means that I still look bigger in the mirror than I actually am.

I'm hoping that once I reach my goal and enter maintenance mode my "mental image" of myself will finally realize what the mirror has been trying to say and get over itself. :D
  • small_ninja
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :smile:
    Glad I'm not the only one

I think I need to just give it a bit of time and hope that I'll feel great once I hit my target >.<