Elliptical calorie burn

Options
I'm beginning to wonder how accurate the calorie burn on my elliptical is. The other day, it said I burned 700 cals in 50 min. I was at 20 percent incline, resistance 4 for pretty much the whole workout. I'm 43, weigh 135.

Wondering if I should start entering the workout cals MFP says for elliptical instead of my machine's.

Replies

• NevrOvr
    NevrOvr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I dont believe my elliptical calorie burn counter at all either. It says today I burned 818 calories in 45 minutes, but when I input the same info to MFP it says someone my size would burn 331 calories. Big difference!! In reality, I don't think either one is dead on, but I think MFP is closer.

Personally, I can feel my effort on the elliptical today was very vigorous the whole time: my heart rate is up, I'm sweating my butt off, my legs hurt AND I can feel myself moving at my usual running pace despite changing inclines (7.5 minute miles.) SO, what I ended up doing here for logging is putting in that I jogged 7.5 min miles for 45 minutes. I thought that number MIGHT be closer to the truth (it was 496 or something.)

Also, my elliptical has this "distance" measured but there is no unit for this distance. I'm sure it's arbitrary. There is a little "track" picture so you can pretend you're getting somewhere and it says I went around about 6.25 times around the track - with a distance of "3039." Uhm...okay! No units means...it isn't real! :)

Is any of what I log in 90% correct? I doubt it....but I'm not as obsessed with the exact number, just want to get in the ballpark at least. 818 calories? Yeah right!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    that seems high. id invest in a HRM
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I just got my Polar Ft7 last week and was really surprised at the difference between the HRM number and the MFP number.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    What about for machines that have the build in "HRM" I say that in quotes because you just grip them and it will tell you. Of course you input your weight too. Can that be trusted at all?
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My experience is that the calorie burn on MFP is always too high. And in my case, the calorie burn that the elliptical shows is waaay to low. Oh, and it turns out that the built in HRM is wrong, too. My heart rate is way higher than the elliptical ever showed.

I got an HRM and now have a more accurate idea of the calories I'm burning - and heart rate. I've compared these numbers to friends who use an HRM as well, and it's seems correct.
  • Mangolassi260
    Mangolassi260 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I was doing intense elliptical workouts every day for 2 weeks and GAINED weight. I was already 99% muscle mass, so it couldn't have been that much muscle gain.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I just got my Polar Ft7 last week and was really surprised at the difference between the HRM number and the MFP number.

Agree with the agree, just got a text from my neighbour saying that my FT7 has just arrived! Today was meant to be the day off for the week, but not anymore.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else...Invest in a HRM...:flowerforyou:
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think any device can be 100% accurate in calculating calorie expenditure because each person is too many factors determine a person's particular calorie expenditure for it to seem possible. Myself, I use the calorie expenditure that the cardio machine tabulates, but I don't eat all of it back. Right now, netting between 1000 - 1100 calories seems to work for me. Before medication for a thyroid issue, I had to net 800 - 900 calories to see any results. When I return to work in September and am on my feet a lot more, I may need to increase again. In summers, when I am less normally active, I cut back.

My point is that, rather than obsessing over the accuracy of numbers, just stick with one method of tabulating calorie expenditure (MFP, cardio machine, or HRM) and one method of tabulating calorie consumption (like MFP database) and stick with it. Play within these constants for the "magic number" that yields results without you feeling deprived.

Good luck, and friend me if you think I can be of support to you on your journey.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would get a heart rate monitor. My weight loss kept stalling - I went with the MFP estimate for my elliptical workouts (because my machine was even higher) and then I got a heart rate monitor and my actualy calorie burn was only half of what MFP was giving me (it was a sad day - but now I'm back on track) - which explains why my weight loss had stalled. I was eating more than I was burning - but now I'm back on track.

If a HRM isn't in you budget - I would suggest only entering about 50% of the cals MFP gives you. For example if you do 30 mins on the elliptical and burn 400 cals - I'd log 200 to be safe - or at the very least take the lower of the two numbers between your elliptical and MFP.

I can judge your machine - but mine was usually 200 or 300 cals over MFP and it's my understanding most machines aren't accurate. Your may be closer if you have to input height, weight, and sex prior to starting your workout.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My HRM says I burn slighty less than the elliptical (but my elliptical has a HRM built in). It is usually off by 30 to 80 calories per workout. I attribute much of this to the fact that I was 30+ pounds heavier when I programed my elliptical for my settings and cannot modify the settings. That being said - when I work out hard for 1 hour I'm still only at about 400 calories. I'm a little larger than you (5 ft 6 - 145 pounds). I do alternating levels of intensity from 3 to 6. My HRM is a Polar FT4. My elliptical is a Schwinn. I think 700 calories is really high.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What about for machines that have the build in "HRM" I say that in quotes because you just grip them and it will tell you. Of course you input your weight too. Can that be trusted at all?

Yeah, but its still just an estimate.