New York Eating Places? Idea wanted.

Options
Hiya,

I'm off to NY for two days (before heading on further to NOLA), a place I've never been. Can people suggest places to eat? We are thinking a place in China town one night and somewhere "typical" or just really different another night. We do not want to spend a stack of money and I'm not going all that way to eat fposh rench cuisine when its just over the over large river from me in France.

So, please, any suggestions for places to go? Looking at places with incredible locales or great atmosphere or great staff and the sort of places that your average tourist would never come across. Places should be in Manhattan I think, as we are going to be staying there (near Macy's)

And no.. I'm not calorie counting while out there.

PS any things we should see while there - feel free to let me know.

Replies

• alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Look on Yelp around where you're staying or what cuisine you're interested in. NY has countless places to eat.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. I know about Trip Advisor etc, was just trying to get some ideas from people here. If no one replies, then I will go with that place. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any recommendations (such as I'd recommend Wong Kees or Quilon in London).
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    This isn't an eating place, but its a great drinking place. I believe its called McSorrely's (the spelling is probably wrong) Anyways, it's an old irish pub that's been there forever, like the 1800's and they only serve two kinds of beer, light and dark. It's a really tiny place but you'll meet a lot of really nice people from all over.
    I went a few winters ago and loved it. I can't wait to go back.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    when my husband used to live in new york(before we were married) we went to this bar in the city called brother jimmy's....always had a good time there. Its not fabulous , but it def. delivers a good time and they have burgers etc there.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I just came back from NYC and everything was expensive, including Burger King!
    I would not recommend Chinatown unless you have eaten real chinese food before. I thought I would be safe with chicken, I was horribly wrong. :(

The best place to look or get started is to do trip advisor or some other traveling website and see what is close to you or search for something specific you are craving. There are lots and lots of deli's, I loved the hot dog stands (the pretzel dogs were so delish).

Good Luck!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Thanks. I'm off to bed (living the wrong side of the Pond) but keep them coming.

@beernpizza. We'd spotted that place and it looked intriguing, so its now gone from a "should we" to a "we will", so that is great thanks.

@ cutie I lived in Hong Kong and Brunei, so I'm used to picking my food out of a cage if I need to. MIght try a hot dog stand though... dont think I've ever done one of those.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Go to any pizzeria that isn't Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Little Caesar's, etc. A real pizzeria where you can buy pizza by the slice.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Thanks dogma. I quite fancied a slice of pizza there. I will make sure I do so.
  • glengiles
    glengiles Posts: 147
    Options
    Pizza! Great eats in Little Italy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    So, please, any suggestions for places to go? Looking at places with incredible locales or great atmosphere or great staff and the sort of places that your average tourist would never come across. Places should be in Manhattan I think, as we are going to be staying there (near Macy's)

That rules out non tourists places... The whole island of Manhattan is a over priced tourist trap lol :laugh:
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with any pizza joint as well. Just be careful if you go to a Fridays or any place like that. They tend to become expensive once you're in the City.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options

That rules out non tourists places... The whole island of Manhattan is a over priced tourist trap lol :laugh:

Yeah, thats what I've kind of seen. We're only there two nights then its down to NOLA via Amtrak for the Satchmo Fest. Then its a Road Trip back up to Baltimore... though the roadtrip part is flexible. We have no clear view of what we're doing then and will just "wing it" :)
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I am going to Niagara Falls in NY next month! Looks like there's lots of good indian and pizza eat! Going to be in for a treat.

It will be too late to tell you what was good by then, but I am still looking forward to it! :D

EDIT to say lol I didn't mean to be a dorky rhymer.
  • icancook2
    icancook2 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are going to stay in Manhattan, for pizza I would go to Lombardis or Joes (on Bleecker, cash only) for a stereotypical "New York" pie.

I would recommend Red Rooster for a special restaurant. It is on Lennox between 125 and 126 and it FANTASTIC. It's where I go for special occasions. Red Rooster is a soul food/African/Swedish blend (because it is in Harlem and the chef is from Africa and Sweden).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Yeah, thats what I've kind of seen. We're only there two nights then its down to NOLA via Amtrak for the Satchmo Fest. Then its a Road Trip back up to Baltimore... though the roadtrip part is flexible. We have no clear view of what we're doing then and will just "wing it" :)

If you can make it, I would suggest right over the Queensboro Bridge to Long Island City. There are a lot of nice restaurants there that are off the beaten path, affordable and tasty. :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/ess-a-bagel-new-york
    ^amazing bagel place! i couldn't find the link to the actual place, but make sure you go to the original location!

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php
    ^best sandwich i've EVER had!

http://www.firstpizza.com/
    ^best.pizza.ever.

:)
  • ellejay42
    ellejay42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We're off to NY at the end of August. Here's a few places we're looking forward to - Grimmaldi's Pizzeria, Dos Toros, Carnegie Deli, Pershing Square Cafe. Google them, they're all recommendations from friends but I haven't been yet so I can't say for sure!

My boyfriend's a foodie and plans to spend most of the week trying all the delicacies. I'll not be counting the calories either but I'll be watching portion sizes

Have a great time :)
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Great tips people! Really appreciated and I will check them out!

I suspect I will be waddling when I come back from the US, but I've already got a "kick my *kitten*" exercise regime planned courtesy of my gym instructors. I'll enjoy the fortnight of debauchery though! :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Carnegie's Deli. They make absolutely massive sandwiches (maybe not the best for the diet, but I'm sure you'll do lots of walking) - lots of celebrities go there, the food is delicious, the atmosphere is phenomenal, and I don't think the pricing is too absurd.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Oh and I'm no on a diet... I'm on here to support my lass in her diet and to get fitter... so bring on the calories :)