Low Kcal Meals - Quorn? (Let me see Pics!)

Options
Warley_x
Warley_x Posts: 62
Hi Everyone!

I really love scrolling through the picture topics, all the foods posted there look amazing but I've noticed that a lot of the foods posted I couldnt fit in my guideline for the day! So i'm wondering if you have any great ideas for low kcal meals and please include pictures if you have any!

If you cook with Quorn i'd also love to see and read your recipes as I usually cook with this to cut down on the kcal intake :)

Replies

• Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Couscous - Dry, 1 1/2 cups If you can get whole wheat use that, I can't find it anywhere local :(
    Broccoli - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 1 stalk, large (11"-12" long)
    Sainsbury's - Mixed Vegetables - Carrots, Peas, Green Beans and Sweetcorn, 100 g
    Quorn - Mince Uk, 100 g
    Birds Eye - Garden Peas (Frozen), 1 cup
    Generic - Frozen Sweetcorn, Boiled, No Salt, 1/2 cup
    Generic - Bell Peppers, Raw Chopped, All Colors, 1 cup
    Mix with whatever seasoning you like, everyone has different tastes after all, this makes four Decent sized bowls (or double that as an accompaniment) good hot or cold. Of course Calories ect will vary with the portion size but if split into four this is: 316 cals / 60 carbs / 2 fat / 16 protein / 6 sugar. I would post a picture if I could but I don't have any means of taking one so I found something similar online :)http://dianeschnier.wordpress.com/vegetable-couscous/
  • Warley_x
    Options
    Thanks hunni, I've never actually tried couscous so i'll give it a go!
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had the Quorn meatballs once and they were disgusting- I threw them away. Haven't tried the brand since!
  • boopboopadoop
    Options
    Quorn mince is fantastic! Try it with a low calorie cooking sauce! And I love making "chicken" salad sandwiches on wholemeal bread with the chicken fillets :) Tried the rashers before though and they weren't too good :S
  • Warley_x
    Options
    I havent tried them, I like the mince and the chicken pieces. Also the Linda McCartney sausages & sausage rolls are nice but I havent found any other quorn products yet that I like/want to try!
  • Warley_x
    Options
    Yes I love the mince! I only have tried the chicken pieces but I havent tried the fillets, i'll give them a go! Do you have to cook them from frozen first?
    Quorn mince is fantastic! Try it with a low calorie cooking sauce! And I love making "chicken" salad sandwiches on wholemeal bread with the chicken fillets :) Tried the rashers before though and they weren't too good :S
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I love the quorn meatballs - but they work best if you cook them till they're brown, before you add them to a sauce. If you just put them straight into the sauce, they get kind of pulpy. (The swedish ones are much nicer than the italian, too.)

I'm a vegetarian, so I use quorn lots.

Burgers and sausages are nice, and I really like the plain fillets with a teensy bit of nando's sauce as a snack or for lunch with a salad.

I make quorn based lasagne, shepherd's pie (you can mix your potato with butternut to cut your cals further with this), bolognese, chili (kidney beans and quorn - super protein and yummy!)... pretty much any dish that involves meat can be made with a quorn substitute.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    re the bacon - the frozen quorn bacon is much nicer than the rashers you get in the chilled section. Again, they need to be well cooked, I think, to get the best out of them.

While on the subject of pig-subs (:-) ) the quorn deli ham and deli chicken slices are pretty nice. The chicken is quite dry, but the ham is good. I tend to stack three or four slices, chop them up, and stick them in a salad. Nice.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Quorn Chicken chunks

Baby sweet corn's chopped

Bean sprouts

1/2 onion chopped

Mixed mushrooms chopped

1/2 pepper sliced

thrown in a wok and add whatever sauce you like nice and quick, i use beansprouts instead of noodles

i find the quorn a bit smokey though.