serious problem UPDATE!!

Options
lil_bit_crazy
lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
Ok this is for those who skip most of the other post and keep repeating the same thing I have already addressed. If you read the whole thing you'll see. But you don't. You just keep telling me to buy veggies n fruits. Etc...

SNACKS in my house are veggies and fruits and nuts.
I buy PLENTY of food for us for a week. 3 meals plus snacks.
I buy chips for hamburger nite only, not just to munch.
I buy popcorn for movie nite, not just to munch.

Junk food to my kids is the chips and popcorn.

Cookies, snack cakes, pop, little debbys, ice cream etc..is what we call GARBAGE and I DO NOT buy it.

My kids are not underweight. They are healthy and normal for their sizes/ages. I posted a link with pictures. They aren't malnourished.
The issue isn't what to feed them to fill them.it's what do I do to keep them from being pigs and eating ALL the fruit and veggies and whatever else I need or have for meals or snacks for an ENTIRE week, IN A DAY OR TWO.

Go read. I've repeated this NUMEROUS times.

Replies

• phil85207
    phil85207 Posts: 20
    Options
    I know what you mean, I can remember when my children were young, I wanted to put a padlock on anything that had food in it so we could have something for the next meal.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Have you tried posting somewhere other than "chit-chat, fun, and games"?

Just sayin'
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    They're growing boys. Eating everything in sight is their default mode. If you don't want them eating a weeks' worth of food in one day, don't buy a weeks' worth of food in one day. And if you're as hard-up for cash as you say you are maybe you should consider skipping the protein powder. You said your kids are healthy, so they must be getting protein somehow right? You don't need much more protein than they do (they might even need more, depending on their age), so why can't you just get it from the same foods they're getting it from?
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    HA! When you figure it out, let me know. I know exactly what you mean. I have a garden with strawberries, blackberries and blueberries (and other stuff), so that does help, but the other stuff it's hard to keep it in the house. I'm glad they like it, but they go through it really quickly.

I just tell them they are NOT going to eat up everything as soon as we get it. It's not as bad when school is in session.

The mom below me just reminded me, grapes never hang around! They are the first to go lol.

Why is everyone so worked up? I thought most parents went through this type of thing??? When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to eat up everything either, and I certainly tried!
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I bought three 5 lb bags of apples and they are gone in 2 days! 5 lbs. of seedless grapes = 4 hours. bananas maybe an hour. Oranges last longer just because they don't like peeling them.

But at least I know they are eating good food and not junk.
  • benita30
    benita30 Posts: 20
    Options
    Try feeding them more protein
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    That's because recommending you keeping tons cheap, healthy ACCESSIBLE snacks around is the best way to get around this. Not saying your kids eat poorly, or are under fed, just that they obviously want a larger volume of food, and the correct response here is to give it to them.

That's as close as I can come to constructive. Feel victimized by the reaction you received if you want, but many, many people here have issues directly related to parents with attitudes similar to yours. It's possible that you're just not good at expressing yourself. I hope you're more respectful and loving than you sound. If not, your attitude is truly despicable.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You're. Not going to get everyone to answer the way you want. Focus on the posts that you find helpful instead of getting frustrated.
  • CChandler81
    CChandler81 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Mine eat constantly too. It's crazy how quickly food goes in our house:-0 Anyhow, here's a few recipe ideas (I'm kind of a pinterest addict):
    Roasted Chickpeas: http://www.caramelpotatoes.com/2012/05/10/crunchy-roasted-chickpeas/
    Oatmeal Squares: http://gingerbreadbagels.com/2011/03/22/peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal-squares/
    Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups: http://outoftheboxfood.com/2011/09/04/foot-long-fruit-roll-up-recipe-update-frozen-berries/
    31 High Protein Snacks: http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable/
  • 47feeling60
    47feeling60 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ha! lol. Yep, they are growing, or bored. Is it the cost of food or you don't have anything left for you? With a 6'5 man and a 25 year old man living in the household, we gooooooooooo through food so fast. Men and kids eat a lot, because they can. Bananas are cheap, generic cereal and milk is a good snacker. Cheese fills em up. Whats your question again?

ok, so i read your question again. Tell your kids to stop stuffing there face! And go play outside.
  • 47feeling60
    47feeling60 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    AMEM, Sista!
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    mine eats everthing up that he really enjoys... FAST also, but i have started telling him he can only have a bowl of chips, or bowl of fruits instead of grabbing the bag....
  • KittenKittyKitteh
    KittenKittyKitteh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you tried setting up snack times in between meals? Like a 10 am and 3pm snack?
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I dont see why everyone automatically goes negative. Asking for ideas on how to keep your kids from eating everything in the house is a long way from having a nasty attitude and even further from starving them. If she was talking about her roommate or her husband everybody would jump on the bandwagon to bash them and give ideas. Because it's her kids, she must be evil? Wow, a lot of must lead completely different lives than I grew up with.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    Good luck with this...I posted a question similar to this and was bashed to smithereens by some people. I have three teens that are all athletes and in peak condition; we eat very healthy; however...I was not. The older kids are my step kids, but we've had them for over 7 years, and then my husband and I had two. When my little guys were babies, I got into some very bad habits (mainly drinking coffee all day and only eating at night once they were down and the pounds packed on!). So when I started MFP, I started buying fat free yogurt (along with the regular) and some other "adult" health food - and my teens went to town on it. I also grocery shop for the week, and had the same issue with my boys eating the ingredients for the meals before I could make them. I totally understand your frustration. I finally just had to lay down the law...and pretty much threaten to end their lives as they know it if they couldn't respect the food and needs of the whole family. When I get done with the shopping, I tell them what the plans are for meals, and that helps as well. They can eat the fruit that is out on the counter; I always have a ton of bread and peanut butter and jelly available; I buy eggs 5 dozen at a time (which they will consume in about a week), and we go through about a gallon of milk a day. For my boys...I think it is more of a "I'm going to eat it before he does!" mentality...(they are 14 and 16), and it drives me bonkers. There is nothing worse than going to get a meal ready for the family and finding out that someone ate your ingredients! They also know that the next time that happens, they get cereal for dinner. We live 10 miles from the nearest store, so I refuse to drop everything to run to the store.

Just talk to your kids, make it very clear to them what the plans are for the food for the family, and if that is not being respected, come up with a consequence and stick to your guns. (Don't with-hold food, though! I'm talking about something like extra dish duty, etc...). When you have a large family and need to stick to a budget - every member of the family needs to respect that so that everyone gets to eat. If they are old enough...have them help with the planning and shopping. That has seemed to help on my end, too. Good luck!
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good luck with this...I posted a question similar to this and was bashed to smithereens by some people. I have three teens that are all athletes and in peak condition; we eat very healthy; however...I was not. The older kids are my step kids, but we've had them for over 7 years, and then my husband and I had two. When my little guys were babies, I got into some very bad habits (mainly drinking coffee all day and only eating at night once they were down and the pounds packed on!). So when I started MFP, I started buying fat free yogurt (along with the regular) and some other "adult" health food - and my teens went to town on it. I also grocery shop for the week, and had the same issue with my boys eating the ingredients for the meals before I could make them. I totally understand your frustration. I finally just had to lay down the law...and pretty much threaten to end their lives as they know it if they couldn't respect the food and needs of the whole family. When I get done with the shopping, I tell them what the plans are for meals, and that helps as well. They can eat the fruit that is out on the counter; I always have a ton of bread and peanut butter and jelly available; I buy eggs 5 dozen at a time (which they will consume in about a week), and we go through about a gallon of milk a day. For my boys...I think it is more of a "I'm going to eat it before he does!" mentality...(they are 14 and 16), and it drives me bonkers. There is nothing worse than going to get a meal ready for the family and finding out that someone ate your ingredients! They also know that the next time that happens, they get cereal for dinner. We live 10 miles from the nearest store, so I refuse to drop everything to run to the store.

Just talk to your kids, make it very clear to them what the plans are for the food for the family, and if that is not being respected, come up with a consequence and stick to your guns. (Don't with-hold food, though! I'm talking about something like extra dish duty, etc...). When you have a large family and need to stick to a budget - every member of the family needs to respect that so that everyone gets to eat. If they are old enough...have them help with the planning and shopping. That has seemed to help on my end, too. Good luck!

This is it EXACTLY!!!! But I don't buy anything just for myself.
    And cereal for breakfast would be a good alternative except they eat that from the box as a snack ..in a sitting. Hiding doesn't work, they find it.

Meal planning is hard when you're 23 miles from the store (I am), disabled, and try to make a meal to find ½ of it is gone!

Thanks!!