Vegan/Vegetarian, please help.

Options
I decided to become a vegan last year, it is not something which I shall keep up because I have found problems with my strength (or lack of it now). If anyone else is a vegetarian/vegan would be nice to hear how to gain some strength.

I wish to continue not to eat meat, but I find my body needs something. I need to be strong for my job/scuba diving.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Replies

• SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm new to being vegan myself, but from all of my research and personal experience so far, if you're feel tired and worn down you're probably not eating right. Have you checked out things like happyherbvore.com and engine2diet.com. They both have great advice, getting started plans, and meal plans ($5 and free respectively). I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred along with going vegan, and I'm getting stronger and stronger.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How were you getting your protein? I supplement with Vega protein powder, tofu and legumes. Gardein has awesome "meat" substitutes that are very high in protein. I also take a multi vitamin and flaxseed oil. I did notice a lack of energy when I first went vegan but don't have that problem anymore because I started strength training and running.

Obviously I am no expert, but take a look at what you are eating. I did a lot of research on eating a rounded vegan diet. 30 Day Vegan Challenge is a good book to read.

Keep at it! It took me a few months to get in the swing of things :) And I feel soooo much better for it. And I am saving a few animals along the way too! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • htrl877
    htrl877 Posts: 49
    Options
    Have a lot of variety in your diet. I'm a firm believer that strength is developed with all nutrients, not just protein or potassium. The standard protein rich foods are textured vegetable protein, any sort of legume, soy proteins, almonds and other nuts, etc. Its helpful to balance these foods with other nutrient rich foods, like beets, collard greens or kale, berries, brocoli, etc. Expand your pallet by cooking new foods. Also, the way your cooking your food might be contributing to fatigue or however else youre feeling. Try not to boil any of your foods (ideally you should steam them). I've read that boiling removes not only the taste and flavor, but a lot of the vitamins and 'good stuff" gets boiled out in the process.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been a vegetarian for almost 9 years and I'm 25 now. The key is to make sure you are getting a balanced diet. I eat lots of eggs, soy, beans, chick peas, legumes, etc. so I can get enough protein without eating meat. You don't want to just fill up on carbohydrates because you choose to not eat meat.

I find it helpful to look up vegetarian recipes for new ideas when you might be getting tired of eating the same things.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Get your iron and vitamin b levels checked to ensure there's no deficiency.

I've been a vegetarian since I was 14, and have never experienced problems.

You need to ensure you're eating a good range of food - including protein with every meal. That's the biggest and most important thing to keep in mind when you're eating vegan or vege. You have to think about and plan for protein intake.
  • hannahfelicity82
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses. I have a lot of meat substitute things which are high in protein and vegetables. I am unsure if I am eating enough though as I do not feel hunger anymore. I have reached my target weight goal now (after a year or so) I've lost 14kg/31lbs, and now I want to sort of get stronger/toned rather than lose (Oh, thought I'd never say that!). I shall definitely check out that book thank you.
    I have started training to become a scuba instructor and I can't lift the tanks! It's embarrassing and I feel terrible about it (always have to ask a strong guy to help..lol). x
  • Marigenous
    Marigenous Posts: 57
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research into veganism lately because I'm considering become vegan/ a vegetarian who very rarely eats animal products.
    How are you with your iron and with getting enough protein from varied sources? A mistake that a lot of people make is that they're eating protein-rich foods, but they aren't getting complete proteins so they still aren't getting what their body needs. For instance, chickpeas are a great source of protein, but they aren't a complete protein until you combine them with something like tahini. A couple complete proteins for vegans are quinoa and tofu.
    http://www.simply-vegetarian.com/complete_protein.html
    I'd also get your doctor to check your blood to see if you're anemic. Personally, I only have iron-related issues during my period, so I take an iron supplement around that time of the month and the rest of the time I eat iron-rich foods.
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/12-top-vegan-iron-sources.html
    Also, don't forget to eat iron-rich foods with things high in vitamin C to aid absorption.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Meat substitutes are fine, as far as I'm concerned, but I think you probably want to widen out your protein sources, to get a broader range of micros and macros. Make sure you're getting nuts, beans, and protein-rich veg in there too.

You need to aim or at least a gram of protein for every pound of lean mass.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    A vegan friend of mine swears by flaxseeds.
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 12 years, and never really had a problem until I started getting serious about losing weight and getting into running much more. Despite regular beans, pulses and lentils, loads of leafy greens, and nuts by the handful, I was weak and tired all the time and feeling pretty depressed about everything possible. I read a couple of threads on here about protein, and did a little more research.

I never used to like the idea of buying commercially produced meat-free protein, but you've got to do what you've got to so. Since then, peanut butter has become my best mate, and Redwood Vegi Deli Sage and Onion Slices have a permanent place in my fridge, Quorn Chicken Style Pieces live in my freezer and tofu (so cheap from the Chinese shop) is a treat (because I like it fried which means it comes with loads of fat). These aren't vegan, but I keep a tub of dried skimmed milk in my cupboard for an after run re-charge, and it goes into all sorts of things, and I eat eggs much more frequently. I noticed an immediate improvement in my mood and my ability to recover from my long runs.

I would recommend a trip to the Dr for a quick blood test for the usual suspects too - in June I went to see why I wasn't losing weight despite regularly running half-marathons. Blood sugar - great, cholesterol - fine, iron - no problem, thyroid - rubbish, totally underactive. Since then, I'm taking thyroxine daily, I'm feeling SO much better, and have lost 10lbs. I'm faster, and I can actually "see" my muscles too!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs the same nutrients, where you get them (plant vs. animal) shouldn't matter. Tracking your requirements should help figure out what's missing and don't forget you can track things like iron, calcium, potassium, etc. I've been vegetarian for 2 years and vegan for 1 and have had no problems with strength. I did both P90X and Insanity on a vegan diet with no issues. You may be lacking a vitamin that aids absorption or something as simple as getting enough water or sleep.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Look at www.ohsheglows.com She has a ton of wonderful recipes. So healthy and well-balanced meals.
    Also www.peasandthankyou.com

I eat lots of raw nuts. I don't really buy meat substitutes or rely on them. I do make my own seitan sometimes. I like it so much more than tofu, but I try and not eat a ton of it.

Speaking of vitamins, make sure you are taking a B complex vitamin. It is really only thing vegans who have balanced diets need to take.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have been mostly vegan since February, and am currently doing P90X with no loss of strength, stamina, or energy. I also just gave blood yesterday and have found that overall my iron levels have improved, not suffered, under a meat free diet. I do not eat a lot of processed vegan stuff but I do fill-in with it when I need something quick. For the most part I stick with whole grains and fresh fruits/vegetables. I have modified MFP to track various nutrients to make sure I am getting what I need for protein, calcium, iron, etc. There are only 2 things that I try to make sure I get in every day. First, I try to get in 2 glasses of almond milk so that I get enough calcium. Second, I try to get in 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast every day so that I get enough B12. I have definitely made gains in strength and muscle mass while vegan. If your strength is not what it should be then try tracking different nutrients in MFP and see if you can figure out what is missing. Whatever is missing, there is a plant option for getting it once you figure out what it is...meat is definitely not required to thrive in fitness.