Can't seem to give up wine...others?

Options
I feel cliche when I say this, but I really don't think I have a problem! :) I do have a habit of drinking wine most every night. For a few years now I've said if I could eliminate this from my regimen, I would probably drop 5 lbs. But every evening, when it starts to wind down, it's what I look forward to. (Hmm, that probably does sound like a problem?!) Does anyone else have this battle in their arena? I never drink too much, but 1-2 every night.

Replies

• akgolden1
    akgolden1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also love wine ... and whisky! I don't think you should deprive yourself of the things you love. Maybe you could find a compromise, like one glass of wine every other night, instead of every night. I also found something else that I love to drink that I use as a substitute...Hot Tea! Yes, I know it's the middle of the summer, but when I'm looking for something to help me wind down and relax, I enjoy hot tea almost as much as a glass of wine. Give it a try! Good luck!
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    1-2 a night sounds fine to me. My social life is essentially built around the local pub, so it's a bit different for me. I still go out 3 times a week, I've just learned (or will learn) to love Vodka and Soda Water. As long as it fits into my calorie goal it's all good.
  • ksamuelson44
    Options
    I love my glass of wine each night, too! I usually have like four ounces a night - I see it as my dessert since I am not that much into sweets. Maybe you could have one glass a night or one glass every other night?
  • Terree83
    Terree83 Posts: 93
    Options
    I have wine almost every night as well! Or, some form of drink :) I'm do the same as ksamuleson.. I use it as my dessert instead of eating something else.

But.. I do have to say, that make sure you're getting plenty of water if you're exercising a lot! Your muscles need that to help recover... even though I swear wine helps with the pains :)
  • Pigbear
    Pigbear Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love me wine too, I don't have it as much as before (seemed like every other night at one point) but I do have at least 4-5 glasses over the weekend. I am trying this weekend not to have any and see how I feel!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you give yourself a few nights off the stuff myself so you can (1) give your liver a break (2) prove you've not got a problem (3) find other ways to unwind.

That said (gets down from High Horse), I like a drink most nights to unwind. I'm in better shape than almost everyone I know who is my age (or within 10 years) though because I work out and I dont have any other vices. I like a drink. I know I'm a little addicted to it, but I stop now and then just to make sure I can and to give my body a break. I also sleep better without the drink.

Oh and I'm not here to lose weight, so calories dont come into it for me.
  • zdrose
    zdrose Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks MFP people! Wow...this message board thing is handy, hey? I am glad to see not all "fit" people shun the stuff. I would love to look like Jillian Michaels and all, BUT...
    I am going to try every other night...when I went through yoga teacher training, I gave it up for about 2 months. And actually, nothing changed weight wise...which, despite my claim to not consider it a problem, makes me think if I'm not going to look any better, why give it up?! Oh yeah...the liver.
    5'2" and 126...looking to get to 115.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I find myself having wine in the evening both because I enjoy it and because I'm bored.

It helps me wind down, I used to think I was addicted, but any time that we have a busy evening and I don't drink, I don't miss it. I have no problems going out and being the designated driver either and not drinking at all.

I guess not having kids I get to wind down in the evening without all the craziness. The wine is obviously cheaper than the kids, but I'm not sure about the health benefits. :bigsmile:
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I dont drink that often and just not a big drinker plus its hard to find gluten free wine don't get me wrong i love wine,but i did find gluten free beer so i have 1 now and then. feel free to add me