filling low calorie foods

Options
hi all
i have been on myfitness pal for 2 weeks now and lost 4lbs so far, im looking to lose another 8lbs or so but i am finding this week a struggle.
i just feel hungry all the time ;O(
for breakfast im having 20g porridge with a protein shake and 25 g blue berries
i then go the gym and do 30 mins weight training and 30 mins cardio
when im at work i have half a tin of tuna salad with oat cake, then later i have 80g chicken breast with green salad, and an apple, when i get home im still so hungry so i have low fat yogurt or some cottage cheese, and often (though im trying to get out the bad habit of eating it,) i have a tea spoon of peanut butter, then for my tea is usually omlette with plenty of green veg.
my fitness pal suggests 1200 cals per day, im having approx 1400, 1500 per day yet im still hungry.

any suggestions to help fill me up but not go over my calories would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all
kerry

Replies

• blondepsychobrat
    blondepsychobrat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    are you sure the calories are right? 80 g of chicken, half a can of tuna and an omlette can NEVER be 1400 calories!
    I eat way more chicken breast and tuna than you and am under 1000 calories a day! Protein fills you up and won't get stored as fat (except in extreme case scenarios), so just eat more lean proteins. You can have like 6 eggwhites in your omlette, eat the whole tin of (water packed) tuna and 80 g of chicken breasts is nothing! I eat a good 200 g for lunch and it ties me well over.
    Eat food that's "volumetric", with lots of water like watermelons, celery, tomatoes, and duh, water.

I also find that if I chew my food, I get more satiety from it than if I drink it. Which is why I prefer a hearty omlette to a protein shake. I think we don't "feel" the liquid calories as much as the ones we chomp up.
  • blondepsychobrat
    blondepsychobrat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dust

HAHAHAHA! I love Little Britain...
  • fatfighter1979
    fatfighter1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hi thanks for the replys, if only dust would do the job, that would be nice and cheap on the shopping bill, lol

my omlette that i have in the evenings is usually made up of 5 eggs, 1 whole egg and full of spinach and peppers then i have the added veggies as well, i think i may up the tuna and have a whole tin and up the chicken breast volume as well and see how i fair with that.
    i scan all the foods that i eat so maybe i should check the nutritional values are matching up with what myfitness pal have already stored.

cheers
    kerry :O)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Definitely check. Check it's the right thing (it used to stuff similar sometimes, then stuff that shares one word, now I'm getting chicken snacks come up as a block of cheese). Check the portion size, and look at the label and at least guesstimate whether the calories tie up.
  • adrushe
    adrushe Posts: 25
    Options
    I just read this article online and was about to post it into a new discussion topic:

http://fitbie.ca.msn.com/slideshow/20-healthy-zero-calorie-foods
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Dust

Anybody, no? Dust!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

You can combat hunger with high protein, high soluble fiber and lots of water. Try adding benefiber or metamucil to your water bottle (it's taste free, you won't even know it's there).

I find hard boiled eggs have an amazing satiety value. Much more so than omelette, don't know why.

On the flip side of the causation - foods high in refined carbs have been show to have a hunger stimulating effect.