I need advice regarding exercise

Options
Hi there, I'm 64, weigh 276lbs and have never taken any real form of exercise. I have started walking but feel I need to do more. I'd love to join a gym but at my age and weight (I'm also a wimp, lol) I dread the thought of actually finding what I need - not that I know what that is... any advice for me please?

Replies

• coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ask for a free tour of a gym near you... and then decide if it's for you or not!
    Don't knock it til you try it ;)

Walking is great no matter how you look at it. Just keep going faster and farther.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is much more about diet than exercise. Cardio only helps create a calorie deficit which can also be achieved by eating less. Eventually you will lose muscle tissue without doing any resistance training. Getting over gymtimidation can be tough at first, but it is worth it. When I started I was doing bench press sets with 60lbs while some monster was repping out 225 next to me. A few months later me and the moster were sharing pics of our baby girls...
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Maybe join the YMCA? The one I go to has people of all ages. Not even kidding, I once saw a guy who must have been mid 90s going around the track with a walker. It's a very accepting environment for older people who still want to pursue fitness.

Don't underestimate walking though. It's a fantastic, low impact way to burn cals.

As we age we experience increased lean tissue loss too. You could combat this with some gentle weight training. It won't 'bulk' you up, it will just make you feel and look leaner and stronger, so don't be afraid of buying a set of light weights from Target or somewhere like that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Ask for a free tour of a gym near you... and then decide if it's for you or not!
    Don't knock it til you try it ;)

Walking is great no matter how you look at it. Just keep going faster and farther.

Absolutely! That was one thing I liked about Planet Fitness. There were people of all ages, sizes and fitness levels.
  • blkanmld
    blkanmld Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A gym that has personal trainers is the right way to go. They can guide you in excercises that you need to improve. At some gyms the trainers will be there with you for the first few sessions to help you get over your gymimtadation LOL... But the best thing to do is find some activities that you like to do and keep doing it. For me its lap swimming. I could swim every day if i wanted to. A gym offers alot of different excercises and classes that you can test and see what you like and what you dont like. And dont get inimitdated by the classes... Go at your own pace and you will be fine!!!
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 60 lbs "simply" by watching what I eat and walking! I wanted to become more fit, so I invested in a Wii console and the Wii Active CD. It's surprisingly good exercise for a beginner in the comfort of your own home. And I found it fun. I've since graduated to a fitness class 3 times/week with a drill sergeant type instructor and I also am back playing volleyball. Both of which I find fun. That's the most important part: that you enjoy it so you'll stick with it. I'm not a big fan of going to the gym, myself, I prefer the sort of fitness that has functionality built in.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Check to see if there are private fitness clubs around you. They tend to be "nicer" and not as intimidating as a gym. They have more personalized services and in one of them near me, it tends to have a lot of older folks in there, and trainers that are in their age range too, which probably makes them feel more comfortable.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If I was able to afford it I would definitely hire a personal trainer through a fitness centre. I am older, like you, and all I have been doing is walking and riding my stationary bike but I am losing weight (as you appear to be) but I'd like to do more also. I'd like to do some strength training but have no idea where to start and I know a personal trainer could help out there immensely. If I were you I would visit some fitness centres until you find one you're comfortable with - maybe take a friend with you initially, and find a personal trainer you can work with. Don't be intimated - all those who frequent gym/fitness centres are there for the same reason - to get and stay in good physical condition.
  • johaneh
    johaneh Posts: 1
    Options
    Incorporate yoga. Try a beginner class once a week for the first month to get your muscles more limber. Try twice a week the second month and keep up with that going forward. You need to continue walking, but incorporate a fast walk in there too to get your heart rate up. That's when your cardiovascular system will get the benefits of your walk (and you will burn calories). You need to walk slowly at first maybe for the first 200 yards then walk fast for the next 200 yards (you feel your breathing become more labored and your heart rate will increase), then walk slowly to recover, then walk faster again. This is called interval training. You will burn fat and calories. It's also a great way to get your heart in shape too!

I'd like to make a suggestion that you see a trainer to get you started on a workout that is anything but routine, otherwise you will get bored. Enlist a friend to do this with you, but if the friend doesn't show up one day, get yourself motivated and do it yourself. You will be so proud of yourself! You can also get an ipod and have music, if that will get you going, but make sure it's peppy music!

YMCA's are great because they have all of this and it's not too expensive. Don't worry about what other people think. You are off the couch and doing something great for your heart, body and soul!