Sugar Intake?

Options
Okay, I'll admit it... I have a sweet tooth. I love cookies, brownies, cake, chocolate... but I try to eat in moderation. In fact, since I joined on Monday, I've been [mostly] behaving myself. However, I find that every day, no matter what, my sugar intake is way above MFP's suggested limit. Yes, I did have a couple of splurges... but a lot of my sugars are from fruits!

I guess my question is this: do I really need to monitor my sugar intake?

My diary should be public, so feel free to take a look. I'd love feedback on it, even if your feedback isn't related to sugars.

(Disclaimer: I am vegetarian)

Replies

• arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    Anybody? Please?
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Stick to tracking Carbs, Fat, and Protein. MFP's sugar limit is jacked up. 1 freaking banana in the morning and I'm almost at my limit for the day? I call BS.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Some people will tell you not to eat fruit because of whatever reason, but in reality fruit is good for you. Eat it. If you are going over your sugar because of fruit, no big deal.

The only reason you should worry about your sugar intake is if you are eating too many processed sugars, or if a doctor says to (if you have diabetes or something of that sort.) I don't even have sugar on my nutrients to track.

Try monitoring your sodium instead!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Some people will tell you not to eat fruit because of whatever reason, but in reality fruit is good for you. Eat it. If you are going over your sugar because of fruit, no big deal.

The only reason you should worry about your sugar intake is if you are eating too many processed sugars, or if a doctor says to (if you have diabetes or something of that sort.) I don't even have sugar on my nutrients to track.

This exactly! Natural fruit sugar is completely different from processed sugar in brownies and sodas...don't sweat it!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    No, as long as you're monitoring total carbs, forget about tracking sugar. I'm diabetic and even I don't bother tracking it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This exactly! Natural fruit sugar is completely different from processed sugar in brownies and sodas...don't sweat it!

How exactly is it different?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You'll have two points of view here. Those who say sugar is sugar and it doesn't matter where it comes from and those who think that sugar from fruits is not the same with sugar from snickers.

I'm in the second boat. If you don't have severe diabetes, you don't need to watch your natural sugar intake which comes with vitamins, minerals and fiber content. You can still prefer low to mid glycemic index sources. Any type of refined sugar, I'd say keep an eye on them.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I've read (and been told by my trainer) that you should try to keep your sugar intake to 30-40 grams per day EXCLUDING fruit. That being said, don't go overboard on your fruit - it is still calories and sugar. I generally have 1-2 pieces of fruit per day. If you limit your sugars excluding fruit, you'll really be cutting out processed/refined sugars, which don't do anyone any good. :flowerforyou:
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Sugar is still sugar though, no matter how you look at it. The only difference is that fruit has vitamins to go along with it and the fiber slows down the processing somewhat.
    So yes, fruit is better, but you can still overdo sugar from fruit.

As MSimm mentioned though, the sugar limit is quite low on MFP and you're probably better off tracking carbs and worrying less about sugar, since, in the end, it gets turned to sugar in your body anyhow.
  • colawoman
    colawoman Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey, if your sugar intake is from fruits and not pastries - don't sweat it especially this early - you have done something great - rejoice!!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

LOL - can always count on you to come in with the question. Now I can count on not really getting an answer from anyone.
  • xarge
    Options

Have you ever had a glucose tablet? They have around 4-6 grams of pure glucose and is used mostly to treat hypoglycemia. Why? Because it's basic you can get. Your body does not need to break it down. It acts fast. Then why are we not using anything else, Like a big slice of apple to treat hypoglycemia? That also has around 4-6 grams of sugar. Because by the time it breaks down and all the sugar content is released in blood stream, ding ding ding! The patient will be in shock already.

Hence, not all sugar sources are not the same. Thus, they don't create the same insulin release in the body. There are numerous studies that show that a low glycemic diet 'helps' you prevent diabetes. It's not the cure of the century but please don't say sugar is sugar. Human body is not a cup of water that dissolve sugar.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I have a fruit and vegetable smoothie every morning and I'm always close to being over my sugar limit before my day even begins.
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    Ignore what MFP has set for sugars. I'm diabetic and do monitor my sugar and carbs to keep things in check and I'm still always over what they think I should have. Personally, I know my blood sugar is very well controlled, my doctor is happy with how well it is controlled, and my test come back in the normal range. If you don't have a specific reason you need to monitor sugars, don't worry about it, especially if most of it is coming from fruit. Fruit is good for you!
  • Acg67
    Options

Have you ever had a glucose tablet? They have around 4-6 grams of pure glucose and is used mostly to treat hypoglycemia. Why? Because it's basic you can get. Your body does not need to break it down. It acts fast. Then why are we not using anything else, Like a big slice of apple to treat hypoglycemia? That also has around 4-6 grams of sugar. Because by the time it breaks down and all the sugar content is released in blood stream, ding ding ding! The patient will be in shock already.

Hence, not all sugar sources are not the same. Thus, they don't create the same insulin release in the body. There are numerous studies that show that a low glycemic diet 'helps' you prevent diabetes. It's not the cure of the century but please don't say sugar is sugar. Human body is not a cup of water that dissolve sugar.

And your body processes the glucose from a glucose tablet and the glucose from an apple differently?

Go ahead and post some of these numerous studies. keep in mind correlation =/= causation
  • xarge
    Options
    And your body processes the glucose from a glucose tablet and the glucose from an apple differently?

Go ahead and post some of these numerous studies. keep in mind correlation =/= causation

No, but do I need to explain that time is relevant when it comes to a living organism?

http://www.ajcn.org/content/59/3/747S.short
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=183081

Here are two links, rest I'm sure you can google glycemic index and diabetes.
  • rjrobert
    rjrobert Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ignore what MFP has set for sugars. I'm diabetic and do monitor my sugar and carbs to keep things in check and I'm still always over what they think I should have. Personally, I know my blood sugar is very well controlled, my doctor is happy with how well it is controlled, and my test come back in the normal range. If you don't have a specific reason you need to monitor sugars, don't worry about it, especially if most of it is coming from fruit. Fruit is good for you!

Just cuirious, What do you consider the normal range? You mean the below 7 for Diabetics or the mid 4's for a non diabetic. I was at 5.9 last time my AIC was checked. Would love to hear a Type II who actually could get their numbers to the real normal range.
  • Acg67
    Options

No, but do I need to explain that time is relevant when it comes to a living organism?

http://www.ajcn.org/content/59/3/747S.short
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=183081

Here are two links, rest I'm sure you can google glycemic index and diabetes.

How did the meta analysis and study you linked to substantiate your claim, "There are numerous studies that show that a low glycemic diet 'helps' you prevent diabetes", since they dealt with people who already have diabetes?
  • xarge
    Options
    How did the meta analysis and study you linked to substantiate your claim, "There are numerous studies that show that a low glycemic diet 'helps' you prevent diabetes", since they dealt with people who already have diabetes?

Sorry, wrong links. But it's safe to hypothesize that if low GI is helping those with diabetes to a healthier life, it's safe to assume that it will have a similar effect on prediabetes and healthy population. You may not like speaking hypothetically but this is science. It's not gravity we're talking about. You have test subjects and you're limited to them, you can't generalize your findings to a whole species. It's like saying this lung cancer treatment will work on every cancer patient with the same type and on the same stage. Organisms don't work that way. Even in math 2 plus 2 does not equal to 4 in every universe and needless to say math is more consistent.

Here it may help: http://www.ajcn.org/content/76/1/274S.full.pdf+html with all the cited articles.

Like I said, it helps. It doesn't work the same way in every people just like how an exercise routine would lead to the same results in two people. Aren't there studies that don't relate high GI to diabetes, yes there are. But it's at my liberty to choose which side I take as a molecular biologist.

IF SUGAR IS SUGAR, please have your average daily sugar intake in glucose tablets only for the next two years. I will mail you the necessary vitamin/mineral and fiber supplements to compensate for the dietary loss. As many sugar is sugar supporters as possible please so that I can have a good amount of subjects.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The argument going on here is only one of definition. Glucose IS Glucose. The difference between most fruit sugars and, say, a snickers bar, is based on the other constituents of the food product, probably the most significant of which is fiber content (which slows sugar absorption and reduces post prandial insulin response). Sugar is sugar is sugar... it's what it's packaged with that makes all the difference.