Swimming

Options
meganld
meganld Posts: 71 Member
I'm interested in training for a sprint triathlon, but am really easily tired out while swimming! Even just laps in the pool. I was wondering what kinds of training people do, or if there is a C25K-like program out there but for swimming?

Replies

• Swimming is tiring but its a great workout and great complement to your overall training program. The first thing you should focus on is technique. Proper technique can help you conserve energy and not waste it. Focus on isolating movements and then work on integrating them into your overall stroke. This should help you reduce drag and let you cut through the water.

To increase your endurance in the pool, simply swim more but be consciously aware of the laps you swim and how you swim them. This should keep you interested and prevent boredom. Also, throw in a kickboard workout into your routine (this should tire you out BIG time). If you get tired in the middle of your workout don't stop, just run laps in the pool. Running in the pool is a great workout as well. Exaggerate your running motion to create more resistance. Good luck.
  • Nessalee77
    Nessalee77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you're getting tired while swimming you may not be breathing properly. Make sure you turn your head clear of the water all the way, take a deep breath in and (very important!) bloooooow all that air out as bubbles into the water before you take your next breath. You should do a couple of private lessons and get your technique checked.
  • meganld
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll have to focus on my breath and my technique next time I'm swimming laps. I've used a kick board before and it was tiring! Are there specific workouts you do with them or just swimming back and forth, using the kick board under your arms?
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on taking the plunge!
    Do a google search for swimming workouts. I think beginnertriathlete.com may have some. Even if they don't, they have a wealth of other information worth checking out.
    Swimming is HARD. It shocked me how hard it was at first. Even if you are in good shape from other exercise, swimming is different, and hard. But, if you keep at it, like anything else it does get easier. It might be worth investing in a private lesson or two to learn good technique. It's very easy to waste a lot of energy with poor technique, and that's not want you want to be doing in a tri. Learn good technique, and then practice practice practice. It really does get easier with time.
    Good luck with your training! It can be addictive!
  • meganld
    Options
    Thanks I'll check that website!