How do I get out of a plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have it set to 1lb a week, and it says I should be eating 1230 calories a day.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Two things for me; 1) increasing my daily calories by 250 cal/day (isn't that ironic?!) and 2) making sure I get more sleep
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    First thing is to go back to basics. Make sure you're not underestimating food calories by weighing and measuring EVERYthing you're eating very carefully and make sure you're not overestimating exercise calories burned.

If you don't find any issues there, I have always heard the suggestion to eat at TDEE or "maintenance" for a week or 2. Show your body you're not starving. Then go back to a reduced calorie intake, but not as severe as your last. So if you were doing a 1000 calorie deficit, try for 500. If you were doing 500, try for 250.

ok--so i'm encountering the same problem as OP and i'm considering upping my calories too.

my question is--upping my calories means going back to my prior eating habits--i.e. WAY more carbs and less protein then i'm eating now.

if i want to up my calories to be closer to TDEE, does that mean eating basically all protein and veg? that's...difficult! how many eggs or grams of cottage cheese can a girl eat in one day?? i know the easy answer is avocado and nuts, but honestly, it's not easy to eat 500 cals of nuts!

your advice is appreciated.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I found that what broke my plateau was completely changing my exercise programme. My diet was/is roughly the same with only a few minor tweeks.

I was stuck for 4-5months. Saw a PT and changed my cardio/weights. I also started running outside too. I've lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks and it's going great.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    First thing is to go back to basics. Make sure you're not underestimating food calories by weighing and measuring EVERYthing you're eating very carefully and make sure you're not overestimating exercise calories burned.

If you don't find any issues there, I have always heard the suggestion to eat at TDEE or "maintenance" for a week or 2. Show your body you're not starving. Then go back to a reduced calorie intake, but not as severe as your last. So if you were doing a 1000 calorie deficit, try for 500. If you were doing 500, try for 250.

ok--so i'm encountering the same problem as OP and i'm considering upping my calories too.

my question is--upping my calories means going back to my prior eating habits--i.e. WAY more carbs and less protein then i'm eating now.

if i want to up my calories to be closer to TDEE, does that mean eating basically all protein and veg? that's...difficult! how many eggs or grams of cottage cheese can a girl eat in one day?? i know the easy answer is avocado and nuts, but honestly, it's not easy to eat 500 cals of nuts!

You can increase calories without changing your macros. Just add in some healthy snacks throughout the day. Nuts and fruit and veggies. Greek yogurt with fruit. An apple and some peanut butter. You're going to increase your calories when you reach goal, so this is just practice. :)

Also - I'm not in the "carbs are bad" camp. So if lower carb is working for you, then great, but I don't see any reason to cut them out personally. Add in brown rice with a meal, quinoa, etc.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

Carbs and protein contain the same amount of caloric density (approx 4 cals per gram), so switching out equal weights of protein for carbs or vice versa will do nothing to your total daily calorie intake.

Fat, on the other hand is over twice as calorically dense (9cals per gram). So if you want to up your cals without stuffing yourself, just add some olive oil to your cooking process, some nuts to your salads or stir frys, or a scoop of peanut butter to your breakfast.