Trying to lose the baby weight

Options
I just had our first child 6 weeks ago, and I have 30 pounds to lose to get to my pre-prego weight. Does anyone know, do I need to stick to the calories it's telling me if I'm nursing? Or do I add the 500 calories the doctors tell you to eat in addition to regular calories so that I'll have enough milk for my baby?

Replies

• Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I would say eat what the doctor told you- you will lose the weight and you will need those calories for your energy as well. Best of luck with your new born- don't worry about the weight give yourself sometime to adjust to being a mom. Have a great Christmas!!!!
  • jennigroves
    Options
    Nursing will help you burn more calories so look at it as a win/win...your baby get the nutrients he/she needs and you get to burn calories and bond. It's a win/win/win! Just start some light exercise and eat healthy foods. Calories are calories, but you can choose how you want to spend those calories. Good luck with everything. recovering from a baby is hard work, but you'll be surprised how fast you will see results! Congratulations on your little blessing!
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    I definately dont think you need to eat an extra 500 calories unless your supply is low, I figured if I ate a good amount of calories in HEALTHY foods that that would be good, and he turned out just fine!!
    I just tried to eat NORMALLY and really watched what I ate so my son would get good "food" I lost quite a bit of weight in the first 12 weeks after I had him by just having a normal, healthy diet, I think I ate better AFTER he was born than while I was pregnant just realizing that all his nutrition was coming from what I ate.. And we would go for some walks, I think I dropped about 20lbs easily. And then worked for the rest =)