New to lifting weights, looking for some guidance :)

Options
Until now the only weights I've used are small (2-5lb.) dumbbells, but I've been reading on the benefits of lifting weights and would like to give it a go! My hubby has a weight bench, which honestly has always seemed intimidating. I have no clue where to start, what exercises would be good for me (I'm 5'2, 175 lbs. if that matters). How do you go about figuring out what weight to use and how many reps to do? Thank you for any guidance you can provide me :)

Replies

• Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi there!! it all depends on your fitness level. Do not comprimise form for more reps or more weight. I am also 5 2 but 122 lbs. I just do basic presses with about 50 lbs sets of ten or twelve whatever i can handle. Then i use dumb bells (5 lbers) one in each hand and do arm circles and a few other exercises i have found. Try looking at self.com to get good tips on ladies exercises.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will check that out! I'm fairly fit cardio wise but have very little upper body strength!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm a little more than halfway through the workout program, but the book has lots of great info to read for a beginner.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Ladies have unique needs that I couldn't address given that what works for me may not be the best program for a female seeking peak fitness.
    For cardio, do what you enjoy and what produces results.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/at-home-workouts-0
    http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for me, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.

It's work.
    The planning and the doing is just work, and you need to go to those sites and educate yourself without relying too much on the advice on others who may not know too much.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible!
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm a little more than halfway through the workout program, but the book has lots of great info to read for a beginner.

this, or getting the starting strength book or the stronglifts program.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com caters for both men and women providing routines. Haven't looked at female specific ones however. Free too.
  • Krismarie24
    Options
    I saw this link on MFP earlier today. I haven't read all of it, but it looked pretty good.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Or, try rock climbing. It's great for strength building! :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

this, or getting the starting strength book or the stronglifts program.

yep, yep, and yep.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've heard that book is good...also, if you want to take it outside the home, look for a local Body Pump class...it's a great way of lifting and its fun because you've got great music going on too!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

This
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, lift heavy. By this, I mean what feels heavy for you. We're all new to this stuff at one point, and the only way to change that is to take the leap and do it!!!
    Don't be intimidated, just read up on weight training either through new rules of lifting for women, as suggested, or look online. There's tons of info out there.
    Give yourself permission to make mistakes and be confused bc there's no reason to be intimidated, youre learning.
    I would just tell you not to look for gender specific exercises, we women are able to lift like men. (and no, you will not get bulky!)
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I recommend a 12 week program like Jaime Eason's LiveFit. Its real easy to follow. You can find it on bodybuilding.com. You can join groups to help you along. That is where I started
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help and encouragement, I'll definitely be checking out the books and links provided :)
  • sarahldee
    sarahldee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump!