Anyone with PCOS & problems losing?????

Options
FRUSTRATED!!!!!! I lose, I gain, I lose, I gain. I am soooo irritated that I want to give up. Anyone else with this problem?? PCOS or just in general.

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are several groups on here for PCOSers too. Look for them in groups. Good luck, love!
  • bmw9q8
    bmw9q8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know a woman with PCOS who had so much trouble losing weight. I guess she had a bunch of tests done and the Dr. found out about the PCOS and put her on metformin which is a drug commonly used in diabetics. I don't know of any other treatment she underwent but she lost so much weight! Have you spoke with your Dr. about treatments? Btw after losing all the weight she got pregnant pretty quickly.
  • kimmvpt
    kimmvpt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    With PCOS doctor recommended lower than 50 carbs total per day so basically low carb....I love fruit so not quite to that point ready to give up (in winter I can do it but summer fruit is so refreshing and filling but I try to eat carbs prior to 2pm).....I find that losing weigh but really hard to lose have to work 3 x times harder than person with out PCOS. I have a friend with PCOS that went with gluten free and almost raw diet dropping weight like there is no tomorrow it just depends on your body. Good luck.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Lots of groups on here! It is possible though! With the right meds and diet/exercise plan I have been able to lose almost 50lbs. The first 20 fell off when I started my meds and diet plan.

Best of luck!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Also, the carbs are a big issue. Even 'good' carbs from fruit can sabatoge someone with insulin resistance.

I limit myself to one serving of fruit a day, eat only whole grains and limit my bread/pasta intake to lose the most.
  • maryaggas
    maryaggas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes! It's quite a challenge because it makes you 'insulin resistant'. What has been working for me is exercising at least 3x week and keeping my calories below my goal each day by eating less carbs. It's really hard, but so far it's working.
  • kelly1922
    kelly1922 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    yep! i'm supposed to be taking Metformin but i only take it periodically because it upsets my stomach. i'm also gluten free because of Celiac, but that hasn't helped me drop any weight. i lose and gain the same three pounds. :frown:
  • aatlchavens
    aatlchavens Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It has taken me over 2 years to lose 55 pounds. I have stuck with it, though, even through the "two steps forward, one step back". I tend to lose three or four pounds, then gain a couple back. Then lose three or four, etc. I've made my peace with it. I am losing, no matter how slowly it seems to be at times. I have, in the past, thrown in the towel when getting frustrated with slow losses (sometimes barely even registering on the scale) but realized that is not going to get me back to a healthy weight or a healthy body. These two years would have passed whether I was on my weight loss warpath or not. I still have about 15 to go but I'm not really all that focused on the "when" as much as I am the "how" I'm going to reach my goal. I watch my sugars and carbs because of the insulin resistance factor, which seems to help a lot.

Don't give up. Not only am I close to my pre-kids weight at long last, but my PCOS symptoms have really improved. It's worth the struggle, I promise!
  • michelleesther
    michelleesther Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Yes, my weight loss is slow, frustrating, annoying, etc.. But I am losing weight!! I eat a lot less than my non-PCOS friends. PCOS is upsetting but think about other medical conditions that people have that are much much worse than PCOS and it's really not that much of an inconvenience...we just have to try a litle harder than most :-)
  • ambaree143
    Options
    Hello there.....yes, I have been losing about 14lbs, approx 6 kilos and then gaining it back and forth, back and forth.....what helps me is logging my food everyday, and keeping away from bad carbs, like bread, pasta , white rice. I keep to a healhty protein, grilled fish or chicken, and sometimes a grilled steak...lean beef, with loads of raw or steamed vegetables, my dessert is a fresh fruit salad with whatever fruit is in season, and i have a huge bowl of it!!! And i allow myself two days in the week to eat my pasta , breads or high starchy food and dessert. I do excercise 5 times a week for about 60 to 70 mins to keep me motivated, and I hang my favourite pair of skinny jeans and photo from two years back when I was skinnier and healthier! It's hard and everyday I have a horrible thought of giving up, but I keep going...I have to...because pcos is harder when you are overweight, and I want to look good again. I watched the "biggest loser" and they all inspire me, even though I don't have as much to lose as the contestants, I tell myself, if they can do it, so can I. I don't know if anything I have said helps, but I know how hard it is to lose wiht pcos, and not everyone understands that it's harder, but DO-able, you can do it. Just take it hour by hour or day by day.....
  • creecree66
    creecree66 Posts: 10
    Options
    Fruits are empty carbs though, so honestly, you can have as much as you want because fruit burns quickly, and I mean VERY quickly.
  • aasb8d
    aasb8d Posts: 2
    Options
    My mom has that and she has the same issue. Basically the medicine she takes that is suppose to help with the side effects of the PCOS determines her weight. She just got on some better meds (but she also has a low thyroid so they might be for that) and the medicine has helped her lower her weight to about what it should be. Other medicines she has tried have increased her weight, so it is a trial and error process. Have you gotten your thyroid checked out too, you may want to? And I would also try some Progesterone cream or something. That is also helping to control the funny levels of hormones the PCOS produces...But from all the people I know who have PCOS (mom, sister, roommate) they are all either a little overweight or very overweight, not to be mean or sound like it is impossible to lose it though, I just wanted to state what I have seen. So with that being said I know it isnt impossible to fix, it just may be hard. I would sort out your hormones first and that should help you a lot! The key to weight loss is diet and excerise and by diet I just mean counting calories and watching what you eat. You can lose so much just from even walking 3 times a week, if that is how you need to start. Then just increase it as time goes by. Americans just eat way to unhealthy and that is the main reason we are so fat. I do it too so I am not judging anyone.Then after you lose it you just have to make sure you keep physically activie. Good luck!!!
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yep I have this problem too. Diagnosed in Jan with PCOS and since then i've lost 40lbs so far but it has been a very long, frustrating journey. I am finding it very very hard indeed to get down to my goal weight but i refuse to let it beat me.

Good luck. Add me if u wish...

Jx
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarabethlives
    Options
    Yes, it is hard to lose weight with PCOS!! My doctor and endo said that with PCOS you will lose weight slower than normal women. Everyone's body is different but from what my doctor told me and trial and error I have discovered that lower carb eating works best for me. The doctor said to try and have 5g of fiber with every snack or meal and to eat good proteins. Between the fiber and protein you should fill full longer. When I am doing really good and sticking to it like I should then I feel so much better. My doctor also told me to drink water, 1%milk, tea (decaffinated and only to use sweetner if I couldn't drink it any other way). For me the milk is because I have low Vitamin D, many women with PCOS when tested are found to have low Vitamin D. She said every other liquid pretty much had everything I didn't need, Calories, Caffine and Carbs (sugar). I was told to limit breads, rice, grains as much as possible. She encouraged oatmeal for breakfast because it has protein and fiber and it's filling (I however hate the texture so I refuse to eat it).

Exercise is the other think that helps PCOS. Exercise helps your body become less insulin resistant.
    I tried to follow the diabetic diet before b/c with PCOS if you've been diagnosed as insulin resistant that's a nice way of saying pre-diabetic. My doctor told me that if I wanted to follow that style that it was okay but at my current weight I needed more calories or I wouldn't lose enough weight.
    I can tell you I see more weight lost when I am eating low carb, high protein (lean) and exercising 5 times a week (cardio and strength).
    Good Luck to you and stick with it!!! It is frustrating but can slowly be accomplished.
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options
    It is frustrating. I put on 3 stone in the past 4 years with having PCOS and not even knowing I had it until I was getting very ill from it.
    I tried pretty much every diet and failed as I'd lose weight and put it straight back on or have problems with my PCOS and gorge on cake and sweets to feel "better"

I've lost 12 pounds so far since around end of May just by being slightly more active (I cycle to and from work, 20 mins each way)
    and cutting down on my carbs. The odd time I bounce up in weight (I tend to bleed around 3 times a month, so forever bloated some weeks) but you learn to listen to your body. I know now tell tale signs of when I'm going to have a bad few days and cut down on any bad habits before so I try not to eat every choccie bar in sight!

I'd say more exercise, lowish carbs and low calorie are the keys things to feeling less sluggish and bloaty.

We aren't professionals though but personally I would advise a doctors trip and a dietician trip if you have access to one.

good luck!!
    x
  • Ltitus01
    Ltitus01 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teenager and did not take medication and treatment serious until a few years ago. After reaching my heaviest weight (235 lbs) my doctor insisted I get down to at least 200 lbs which would curb some of the undesirable side effects of PCOS.

I am now down to 185, and plan to keep on trekking until I reach my goal weight of 145 lbs!
    My fiance' and I are working to lose weight together and since march he has lost 60 lbs and I have lost 33 lbs, so it can be VERY frustrating to see the difference. However, I take metformin regularly (it will cause some GI symptoms at first, but if you can slowly increase the dose over a week or two those symptoms should subside).

It can be incredibly frustrating, and it sounds like we are not alone as many of us report a slow and inconsistent weight loss - BUT it is possible! We can do it!

I have found, like most others, low sugar and low carb is the way to go! I eat mainly fresh veggies, limited fruit and lean protein. I found immediate success with the 17 Day Diet - however it is not very sustainable as the food is so limited, but if you want something to kick start weight loss this may be something to try as I lost (and kept off) 10 lbs in the first month.
    Regular exercise is key - at three times per week of cardio.

Good luck ladies!
  • marilynnam
    marilynnam Posts: 16
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Ganoderma? It is an herb. There is research supporting its use to help reduce glucose levels and also research that has shown that this herb has anti-androgen properties as well. This can mean that it can help to lower testosterone. However, research is not clear on dosages that are appropriate for these results and more will need to be done. However, this mushroom has many health benefits. If you want to check it out here is the site:

www.myganocafe.com/1cupaday

On that site, there are several products with Ganoderma Lucidum in it. Coffee, teas, hot chocolate, etc. Whatever is best for you.
    I hope that this helps. You can add me as a friend if you like.
  • danielledimedio1985
    Options
    bump