Anybody done Weightwatchers?

Options
Been on WW since January and lost 20lbs.
Have found that my weight loss has come to a halt and no ideas what I'm doing wrong.
I have a sneaking suspicion it may have something to do with the amount of fruit I'm eating which is 0PP on the WW plan.
Has anybody done WW before? Did you find counting the calories in fruit and veg a bit of a shock to the system?!

Replies

• Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Been on WW since January and lost 20lbs.
    Have found that my weight loss has come to a halt and no ideas what I'm doing wrong.
    I have a sneaking suspicion it may have something to do with the amount of fruit I'm eating which is 0PP on the WW plan.
    Has anybody done WW before? Did you find counting the calories in fruit and veg a bit of a shock to the system?!
    I have done ww in the past- the old system -lost 35 pounds but got tired of counting points all the time although I got to know my regular pts so I wasnt always having to look them up after awhile...but anyways I gained it all back and then some. I did try it again with the ww plus system -lost 10lbs then I moved and left ww behind and put that back on lol so it does work I just dont know what I like more ...counting points or counting calories...either way it takes time out of the day so I guess its a personal choice..... I would stick with fruits that have less sugar content....lower on the glycemic index ...this goes with the veg too...peas taste yummy but high in sugar...thats about all I can think of except maybe water intake??? hope this helps :)
  • melcookson
    melcookson Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I do think I need to probably reduce the amount of sugary fruit I'm eating x
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    Yes I was definitely shocked with the amount of calories in fruit. I was eating a lot of it cuz it was 0 pts and not losing weight. I switched to MFP and lost 3 pounds the first week. I also had my resting metabolism rate done, I set my calories to that and then eat back the calories earned from exercise.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 5 months last year..only lost 3 lbs in those months. I probably wasn't eating enough or working out too much. Basically, it's a waste of money. You can just as easily track your food and exercise on MFP for FREE and get the same, if not better, results.
  • cwe1229a
    cwe1229a Posts: 34
    Options
    i did WW for...hm, almost a year? stopped just before coming to MFP because i wanted to use that monthly fee for a gym membership instead. i lost around 20 or so pounds on WW, it was good for what it was made for, making you more aware of food choices, but i'm a cheap skate and i hated dishing out money for something i could do for free here :- )
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs with WW back in 2003 (before fruits were 0). Whenever I hit plateaus, I would just get more rigid about measuring and weighing my food. I would also look at the balance of foods I was eating and switch it up (I always tend to eat way to many carbs and not enough protein). My leader recommended switching up what you eat - if you do FF - go to full fat for a few days - if you eat too much fruit, add more veggies, etc. She also suggested switching up my exercise routine to challenge my body.

What types of fruits are you eating and how much?
  • melcookson
    Options
    Yes I was definitely shocked with the amount of calories in fruit. I was eating a lot of it cuz it was 0 pts and not losing weight. I switched to MFP and lost 3 pounds the first week. I also had my resting metabolism rate done, I set my calories to that and then eat back the calories earned from exercise.

Kornmaiden - what's your resting metabolism rate and how do I get it done?

I'm shocked at the additional calories I've consumed just today because of fruit.
    I have two weeks till my holidays and would love to lose even a couple of pounds, my weight has stayed the same for the past 8 weeks on WW.
    Going to go for a 90 minute walk now x
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers awhile back (on the old plan) and lost a lot of weight. I kept it off for awhile but, soon found myself going back to my old ways. I prefer MFP because it's FREE. But, learned that dieting doesn't work for me. I needed to make a lifestyle change. It's a way of life for me. Daily exercise and eating heathly balanced food. The weight (for me) is coming of slower but, I belive it will stay off this time because, I am doing the right way ~ eating right & exercising. I personally think everyone is different and we should do what works for us.
  • melissaslagle
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds with WW...I quit after 3 1/2 years, when PP+ came along...I still want to lose 40-50 pounds, I didn't reach goal, but I kept hearing the same thing over and over...so I switched to MFP the week I quit, now it is broken down better for me...I am pretty much maintaining at the pace I am at right now, I think I just don't feel like making many more changes than I already have, so maintaining right now which is Ok with me...like anything if you commit to it and don't give up you will eventually lose, one thing I took from WW is this is forever...Good Luck, I eat 2-3 servings of fruit then and now, so anything in moderation is a good thing. BTW I work out 5-6 days a week...
  • melcookson
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs with WW back in 2003 (before fruits were 0). Whenever I hit plateaus, I would just get more rigid about measuring and weighing my food. I would also look at the balance of foods I was eating and switch it up (I always tend to eat way to many carbs and not enough protein). My leader recommended switching up what you eat - if you do FF - go to full fat for a few days - if you eat too much fruit, add more veggies, etc. She also suggested switching up my exercise routine to challenge my body.

So far today I've had an apple, mango, half a cantaloupe melon, ordinarily I would have some more fruit, a banana in the afternoon and half a punned of strawberries in the evening, and maybe a small punter of cherries to snack on during the day.
    Sounds like A LOT when I write it all down!
  • melcookson
    Options
    ***punnet***

Sorry, my iPad likes to autocorrect!

By the way, what calorie intake are you all on?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I haven't.

I've also never done calorie tracking before, and I was truly amazed at the calories in fruit - I actually don't like it much, and thinking I was being healthy I made myself drink a pint of homemade smoothie for breakfast most days. Containing, as I later discovered, more or less enough calories for the day!

Other horrors were cider (I LIKE cider...) and Chinese food (I LOVE Chinese food).

They are the only things I've cut down on. I always ate pretty well, but I have made a point of using the MFP tracking sytem (which I think is brilliant) to keep an eye on my fibre and protein intake, and to remind me about my 5 a day.

So far I've lost 22lb - not very consistently, but without any effort beyond just logging.

I don't think it's a good idea to eat loads of fruit - it's a food with a calorific value like any other, although clearly on sheer health grounds you're better off with a fruit salad than a plate of fast food. That's the only reason I can think WW makes it a "free food". I'd back MFP any day - it has its quirks, but if you set it up right and stick with you will lose weight. And it's free, which means you can afford the gym membership!
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I paid WW from Jan 2007 to April 2011. I lost 70+ pounds from Jan 2007 to June 2009, then yo-yo'd until I finally stopped paying for something that I wasn't doing.
    WW is a great program, but that is what it is, a program. It has guidelines and it is your responsibility to do what is in those guidelines. If you do what they say, you will succeed. Just like any other weight loss program out there.
    I came to MFP it has all the tools that WW has in their online program at no cost. And since I'd rather spend my $15/month on something other than an online program that I can get for free.
    But switching to MFP didn't make me lose weight. My effort to count calories, make better decisions as to what to put in my body and to move my body more caused me to lose weight. As long as I'm doing those things, it doesn't matter if I'm counting calories or points or what have you, I'm going to lose weight.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

So far today I've had an apple, mango, half a cantaloupe melon, ordinarily I would have some more fruit, a banana in the afternoon and half a punned of strawberries in the evening, and maybe a small punter of cherries to snack on during the day.

That's a lot of fruit. I lost weight with WW in the past, before having 2 kids. I tried it again at the beginning of this year, but then I realized MFP was basically the same kind of tracking tool and I didn't have to pay for it. Plus the MFP phone app is much better and I like the breakdowns it gives you. I'd start putting the fruit and everything into mfp so you can see how it all adds up for a few days.
  • melissaslagle
    Options
    I worked with a trainer for 4 months, and he put me on 1700 calories total, so I customized my mfp tracker for that, I do not count my exercise calories into mfp but I note it...it is included in the 1700 calorie total...90% of the time I am pretty right on...I have my carb days though:)
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options

Kornmaiden - what's your resting metabolism rate and how do I get it done?

I'm shocked at the additional calories I've consumed just today because of fruit.
    I have two weeks till my holidays and would love to lose even a couple of pounds, my weight has stayed the same for the past 8 weeks on WW.
    Going to go for a 90 minute walk now x

You can get your resting metabolism (the amount of calories your body burns without exerting any effort) done probably at your gym, I know Hyvee grocer stores sometime do it. It's done using a device called a Body Gem. You fast for four hours before, sit perfectly still for about 10 minutes, then the device which is about the size of a flashlight, has a mouthpiece you insert in your mouth and breathe in normally for 10-15 minutes. It's attached to a computer and then things like your height/weight/activity level are fed into that. You get a printout telling you how much the resting is (I was shocked to find out mine was under 1200 calories) and what your normally would burn. Both MFP and Fitbit had my calories set way too high, armed with this information you can make a more accurate assessment of where your calories out to be. It cost me $39 and I think worth every penny.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW on and off since I was 19 that was a long time ago. I did very well till they
    changed to fruits are free. And it is a pshyological thing with WW. Those point numbers seemed too
    low. With my fitness pal when I see the number of calories even though they aren't that high
    just the site of 1500 calories sounds much better than 29 pts or whatever it is. And I am totally
    honest with mfp I like the interaction with people. I look forward to itevety day.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Do you go to meetings or do WW online or are you 'winging it'? I didn't realize it but someone said here the other day that fruit isn't actually unlimited. They tell you some guidelines of what is a reasonable amount, I think she said. I'm a Lifetime member and went to a meeting to get the new materials when they first came out but it was Jan. 2011 and I don't recall (and am too lazy to dig out the materials). But it makes sense. Just because it's 0 points doesn't mean you should eat so much.
  • melcookson
    Options
    Hi mcarter, I'm a paying member doing it online.
    Fruit is 0PP, so although you don't necessarily count the points you've got to use your common sense that you're taking calories into your body, more often than not, of pure sugar.
    I've not used my common sense that much and have been drawn in hook line and sinker to the fact that fruit is 0pp and I've become obsessed with it!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Totally understandable! Maybe start obsessing on the veggies? :smile:

You've done great so far. How long have you been stalled? Are you at 29 points? And do you eat all your 49 and your APs?

I did it for 8 weeks in 2011 and only lost 2 lbs. but I was eating all 29 and 49 and it came out to about 1800 calories for me, I think. That's too much for me to lose much weight.

I saw a study that said most people on the new plan take in around 1850. That makes sense if they eat about 300 calories of 0 point items, if you do the math. If you don't have a lot to lose and/or are older or sedentary, you might do better at leaving some of those 49 unspent. I'd like to try it again under that method myself and see how it goes. I imagine that's what WW would suggest if your plateau has been longer than 3-4 weeks. But like I said, I haven't gone in a long time so maybe not.