Major problem!

Options
Can anyone help me please?

I have been following MFP (rigidly) and have been exercising at the gym 3 to 4 times per week. However, my weight isn't moving!

I'm starting to get really frustrated because I don't know why. I have noticed that although my calories are always within my limit, together with my fat, fibre, protein and carbs, my sugar is always way over. Could this be the problem? I don't eat junk which causes this, it's the fruit but I can't cut that out as that's what I stack on. I have about 3 to 4 pieces a day. Nectarines are the highest in sugar but I thought natural sugar was ok?

Everything I'm reading on the net is confusing the hell out of me. I'd like some guidance from the people that have gone through this and have found a solution. Thanks in anticipation.

Lisa xx

Replies

• Warley_x
    Warley_x Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Lisa, I cant see your food diary so I cant really tell what your diet is like. However you mentioned sugar was always way over, yes this can be an issue, also you need to watch your sodium intake (salt) as this causes you to retain weight.

It may be good to open your food diary up so people can give you some better advice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how long have you been following MFP and going to the gym?

i have had a look at your diary and my main suggestion would be to change your exercise, add some weights & strength training to your routine. all i saw in the last week was running and walking and your body gets used to doing a prticular exercise very quickly so it becomes less effective. mix it up!
  • LeanMeanJeanne
    LeanMeanJeanne Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your measurements as well? Sometimes the scale can be tricky, if you're gaining muscle mass you could be slimming down more than the scale will lead you to believe. Focus more on how your clothes fit and how you feel vs the evil scale.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    How carefully are you measuring your portion sizes? If you are just estimating by eye, you may want to try a few weeks measuring them. I know I consistently have oversized portions if I just estimate so everything gets weighed on a kitchen scale or measure with other measuring tools. Also, get out a tape measure and measure yourself as scales do not give the whole picture. You can lose inches and not have a big change or sometime any change on the scale.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks so much for all your replies. I think I have opened my food diary.

Riley, no I'm not measuring my portions but will from now on. It's not like I can't, I have perfect scales in my kitchen!

Jeann, I mainly do low intensity cardio and stick to what my heart rate should be (65% of MHR). If I do weights they are repetitive reps of medium weights as I don't want to build muscle, just tone it up. I'm so confused about what exercise to do. My gym owner says to do low impact cardio to burn fat. I've been going to gym for exactly a month on Sunday and go between 3 and 4 times a week for about 45 mins to 1 hour. Will weights really make that much difference?

It's mainly my belly as I don't 'go' that often. I feel full of crap to, for want of a better expression, which is why I try and eat quite a bit of fruit.

Thanks y'all xx
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    building muscle mass will burn fat more efficiently. try to keep a balance of cardio and strength training, and don't be afraid of heavier weights. you need to challenge those muscles. you won't turn into he-woman. I see a trainer 4-5 times a week, and he encourages heavier weights all the time.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As far as fruits go... Eat mostly the ones with skins... apples, pears, berries, grapes - the fiber in the skin helps to shield the sugar from your system so your body doesn't spike your insulin and burn it all instead of fat.

Fiber is your friend when it comes to hiding sugar carbs.

Also, keep the exercise variable- walk fast, walk slow, lift weights, do zumba, run fast, run slow - keep the body guessing or it will get very efficient at keeping up with you! I run 50+ miles a week and have plateaued for a month eating 1300-1400 net calories.

I know it's frustrating, but keep at it and you will make it happen!
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The benefit of doing weights is that it builds muscle and muscle needs energy to just "exist". So by building muscle, you burn calories when you're not even doing anything. This doesn't mean you need to become bulky or anything. By strengthening your muscles, they'll start working for you. I've been told this is why men generally lose weight faster than women (but don't quote me on that). :) Good luck! Oh and don't forget to take your measurements! Muscle weighs more so the scale might not move, but your measurements will shrink!
  • tennisluv33
    tennisluv33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What is MFP?
  • KateinSomerset
    KateinSomerset Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    and..... don't forget to drink lots and lots of water (should also help flush out the system!!!)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks so much for all your replies. I think I have opened my food diary.

Riley, no I'm not measuring my portions but will from now on. It's not like I can't, I have perfect scales in my kitchen!

Jeann, I mainly do low intensity cardio and stick to what my heart rate should be (65% of MHR). If I do weights they are repetitive reps of medium weights as I don't want to build muscle, just tone it up. I'm so confused about what exercise to do. My gym owner says to do low impact cardio to burn fat. I've been going to gym for exactly a month on Sunday and go between 3 and 4 times a week for about 45 mins to 1 hour. Will weights really make that much difference?

It's mainly my belly as I don't 'go' that often. I feel full of crap to, for want of a better expression, which is why I try and eat quite a bit of fruit.

Thanks y'all xx

Here's a couple thoughts for you.
    1) Definitely measure everything, this was my downfall before, I was going by the "visual" servings measurements (ex: size of palm of your hand is a serving of meat, ect) instead of using a scale, now I use a scale and get a better result
    2) You may have adjusted to the calories you're eating and the exercise you're doing, change things up a bit
    3) For the belly issue, you may not be getting enough fiber from eating the fruit, keep eating the fruit, but add in some high fiber veggies for the snacks too, and maybe even consider taking a fiber supplement, you need to get some of that "crap" out of there.
    Hope this helps a little (or a lot)!
  • johnscat1981
    johnscat1981 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What is MFP?

My Fitness Pal = MFP
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    More water. more water. more water.
    Reduce fruits as snack. Excess sugar and carbohydrates if not used get stored as fat. Even though fruits are good for you and have an abundance of antioxidants, most of them are high glycemic. Your blood sugar will spike rapidly and if there is too much insulin produced and not utilized, it gets stored.
    Increase your lean protein.
    Increase healthy fats, olive oil, flax seed, avocado, almonds etc. Healthy fats actually help create thermogenesis (the burning of fat).
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Have you looked at your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)?

I notice a couple of things:

You are barely eating 1200 calories (1176, 1257, 1118, 1211, 1281 - those are your Net calories for the past few days)....maybe you are not eating enough? I lost some weight on my 1200 (MFP) diet but after a few weeks, I completely stalled out. I configured my TDEE - 20% and I've been losing steadily since then (I eat around 1900 cals a day).

You don't drink nearly enough water....I see 2 cups here and there at most. Hydrate and flush all that salt you've been eating from that fast food/chinese food you eat. You may feel full of crap because of all the fast food :-)

Here is the site I use for my TDEE calculation: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

At least look at it....it's not for everyone but it might be something that can help you on your journey.

Good luck!
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    WOW... this has been the best thing I've done all day. Thank you so much for all your advice ladies and gents.

I have just filled up my water bottle (with water!) so let it begin, as they say.

I'll be back in 2 or 3 weeks to update you all.

Thanks again.

Lisa x
  • chefmoose
    chefmoose Posts: 1
    Options
    Caffiene can be an issue .. don't know what your intake level is. Caffiene like Sodium, retains the fluids in our bodies. If you are a caffiene drinker it is important to increase your water intake. Sip water throughout the day to get your intake is the best advice... add lemon to it, or lime. If you enjoy fruits you can float them in your water with mint to make the water taste better..
  • Becky3701
    Becky3701 Posts: 49
    Options
    and..... don't forget to drink lots and lots of water (should also help flush out the system!!!)

^^^^^^
    I agree with this
    Water makes a huge difference on the scale for me. If I don't drink enough the weight loss
    is not great that week.