Wheat Belly

Options
TaintedVampyre
TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
Has anybody else read the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Davis?
Did you practice what he preached?
Did you at least try the challenge?
What were your end results?

Replies

• TMarieB30
    TMarieB30 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have not. Interested to check it out now. What are your thoughts on it?
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Don't know yet. I was just curious as to whether anybody had played around with the idea or is following a wheat free diet restriction and how it's possibly benefited them.
  • SarahBud2
    SarahBud2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded it today! It will take me a few days to read it but I want to start now! I have done low-carb in the past with great success but it was always temporary. I think I know the general gist of it, but if someone would like to post some basic guidelines, I would love to see them.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    YES! Love the book.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I went wheat free because of an allergy to it. I definitely think my body changed some because my mom just told me that my shirts aren't tight around my waist anymore and that my stomach area has shrunk dramatically. I feel like I've only lost like 7 pounds since giving it up but it's rather dramatic how my waistline changed afterwards. I also have had my migraines practically vanish and some of my allergy symptoms involving skin have improved so much that my skin's texture has changed. For me, giving up wheat made a huge difference. It really does depend on the person though, some people have no issues - others like me have a toxic reaction to it.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to read it, just havent had the chance yet. I am dairy free because of an allergy and I am also trying to go gluten free because a gluten intolerance often goes with a casein allergy. Only been about a week now that I have been trying it but I have noticed that I feel better in some ways. I am not as cranky and I am sleeping better.
  • I decided to go wheat-free as part of my low-carb diet.

I used to have a rash all over my arms. It was there for about 30 years and I had been to several doctors with zero results. After being wheat-free since Christmas 2011, it is now almost completely gone.

Coincidence? Maybe.

Related to weight loss rather than wheat? Maybe.

But I don't miss wheat, so I'm staying wheat-free.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I decided to go wheat-free as part of my low-carb diet.

I used to have a rash all over my arms. It was there for about 30 years and I had been to several doctors with zero results. After being wheat-free since Christmas 2011, it is now almost completely gone.

Coincidence? Maybe.

I have had a rash for almost a year. Since cutting ot dairy it has started going away but I still had flare ups. Since cutting out wheat it has almost completely healed in the last week. I will have permanent scars on my hands from it but as long as it is gone I am happy.

I am with you, there is a chance cutting those foods is what made it stop ad i aam not willing to go back.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options

I scanned through the website and I can say I'm not totally doing what he advocates. I do eat rice, corn, tapioca starch, buckwheat and several other non-gluten grains/plants. But, I do watch the calorie counts on those products because the wheat free stuff can be super high in calories. Unfortunately, they aren't very good when it comes to fiber so I have to find other sources. So, no, I don't follow everything per what his website says. But, I did go entirely wheat free and the results for me have been amazing in how my body reacted to finally being free of it. Granted, I'm allergic - just never thought it might be impacting me in more ways than a rash. Now I know that it's affect on my body overall was very negative. I plan on being wheat free for life due to my allergies. The only part about being gluten free is learning how to eat right. You have to make sure you take supplements too. Wheat grains usually are supplemented with certain vitamins and the gluten free stuff isn't so I make up for that with supplements and healthy eating.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Bump. I just started reading this book and am curious to hear what others think or how it's worked for them.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I read it a while ago, his arguments fit in well my dietary framework so it's just more fuel for my desire to avoid 'food' that will potentially do me harm.

I don't get much, nutritionally, from grains in general and the downsides are many so I just don't eat them.

Been vastly grain-free for months now, feel great :)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I decided to go wheat-free as part of my low-carb diet.

Coincidence? Maybe.

I could have written this. I have had horrible eczema on my arms and hands since high school. I was recently diagnosed with intolerances to wheat, corn and soy. Since eliminating these and other grains (the others due to diabetes), the rash is g-o-n-e and so are many of my digestive issues.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I read it and couldn't agree more with it. I avoid all grains starting last December. Two days later I completely was off GERD med (protonix) and haven't had any IBS

So, naturally I'd recommend it. whole-heartedly.

It is a shame that grains being such a huge part of the standard American diet don't lead to better health...and that's a concept that is so hard to explain and get understood by the vast majority. Too bad.

I understand that grains from centuries ago could have been healthier, but modern science has genetically changed all that.

Give it a try and see how it feels for you - is my standard advice. More than likely, you will lose weight and bloat and generally feel a whole lot healthier. :bigsmile:
  • jenn1270
    jenn1270 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've not read it, but have read up on it, and i have been following a strictly protein/veggie diet since Sept. 4th and have had amazing results. Even sleeping better
    Here are my thoughts on it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jenn1270/view/wheat-belly-432091
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. Another fad diet.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    It's not a fad diet for some. I know a lot of people whose lives have reclaimed their lives because they gave up wheat (and other gluten grains). There are people out there who try it for diet reasons, but generally, if you look through these posts you'll see a series of medical issues like...

Migraines
    Gerd/IBS
    Rashes/eczema
    Diabetes
    Bloating (like enough to add 4-8 inches) caused by digestion issues on gluten

As for giving up all non-gluten grains, for some people with these sort of issues, it's not necessarily a bad starting point. I think a lot of people will start re-adding certain things to discover what affects them in particular. If a person has Celiac's, they actually need time to heal so this sort of diet would be useful for them. I have a girlfriend who is diabetic and I've seen what the doctors want and I can tell you - the first thing that was limited - the wheat. It's horrible for her. She eats mainly proteins and vegetables with a small amount of fruits.

Now, if the person has no medical issues and none of the above symptoms (among many others) than they are embarking on a diet that's insanely expensive. It's not cheap to eat gluten free. At that point, I'd say reconsider, but if there's a medical issue - can't hurt to try this for a short while.
  • jeby8
    jeby8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I scanned through the website and I can say I'm not totally doing what he advocates. I do eat rice, corn, tapioca starch, buckwheat and several other non-gluten grains/plants. But, I do watch the calorie counts on those products because the wheat free stuff can be super high in calories. Unfortunately, they aren't very good when it comes to fiber so I have to find other sources. So, no, I don't follow everything per what his website says. But, I did go entirely wheat free and the results for me have been amazing in how my body reacted to finally being free of it. Granted, I'm allergic - just never thought it might be impacting me in more ways than a rash. Now I know that it's affect on my body overall was very negative. I plan on being wheat free for life due to my allergies. The only part about being gluten free is learning how to eat right. You have to make sure you take supplements too. Wheat grains usually are supplemented with certain vitamins and the gluten free stuff isn't so I make up for that with supplements and healthy eating.

^^ This. I just found out I'm Gluten Intolerant and this week, I've finally discovered what it feels like to not be bloated or feel lethargic and fatigued. I've lost 5 lbs which may or may not be from going Gluten free, low carb but I find it a bit of coincidence that since I started this lifestyle change, the weight has been coming off slowly, steadily and in a healthy way. I decided to invest in this book to see his thoughts and I think it's important, as with any medical doctor giving his two cents, to take it as a tool in your arsenal but not as complete truth. Only your own experience can do that for you. I happen to really agree with most of what he says in the book and think it's a great resource for anyone with a wheat allergy or looking to decrease their wheat intake.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    ^^ This. I just found out I'm Gluten Intolerant and this week, I've finally discovered what it feels like to not be bloated or feel lethargic and fatigued. I've lost 5 lbs which may or may not be from going Gluten free, low carb but I find it a bit of coincidence that since I started this lifestyle change, the weight has been coming off slowly, steadily and in a healthy way. I decided to invest in this book to see his thoughts and I think it's important, as with any medical doctor giving his two cents, to take it as a tool in your arsenal but not as complete truth. Only your own experience can do that for you. I happen to really agree with most of what he says in the book and think it's a great resource for anyone with a wheat allergy or looking to decrease their wheat intake.

The main reason I disagreed is that he limits your carbs to an extreme degree - some of them are not limited due to gluten - but to the sugar spikes they produce as non-gluten grains. Basically, he wrote the diet for diabetics. Now, if you're diabetic...than it may be a really good diet for you until you get it under control. But, if you're not, than I would say going gluten free, varying your foods by adding fruits/veggies and just eating cleaner will make a big difference. For example, some with Celiac's can't tolerate dairy. I'm lucky - I'm allergic to gluten but not dairy. Do I overdose on it? No. I try to mix up my foods and if I'm low on something on one day - I do more on the next. It's important to find what you can and can't tolerate. I don't think it's necessary to go as drastic as his diet unless you're trying to get diabetes under control.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Cmon folks...snake oil...where is the the true science ??? Facts can be twisted that nothing is good for you...the key is moderation unless you have a specific health issue with gluten and other elements etc. I can remember when smoking was considered good for you. Tomatoes were once considered poisonous...LSD would lead us to enlightenment...The commies ate babies...and so forth and so on...breath deep my friends !!!!
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The book was recommended to me, but I haven't bought or read it yet. I did start my diet this month, and was mainly doing protein/veggies with some fruit. Just trying to avoid bread and pastas for the low carb affect. Weight started falling off me. Edema that I've struggled with for yrs VANISHED over night. I felt alert and was happy to wake up. Lost 3" in girth in 3 weeks!

Then... I got complacent this week and thought a little bread here or there wouldn't hurt if I was under 1200/day. One bun, half a sandwich and a flour tortilla in the same week and my leg edema is back with a vengeance!!! Scales quit moving last Friday. I feel like crap again, and the only noticeable change are the breads.

My dad is so gluten sensitive that he was having mal-absorption issues, and doctors told him he was having an auto immune-response to it (Celiacs). He had dropped to 155 and we thought he had cancer. He gave it up and his weight returned to normal ranges for his height, and his health problems went away.

I don't think it's "everyone's problem" but I do think it can be a BIG problem for some people. Unfortunately, I might have to join the club. I love bread, but it's not worth blowing up overnight with water and feeling like I have the flu. :-(