Intermittent Fasting

Options
Currently in process of this weight loss plan ! Been told it helps to lose fat efficiently. Fasting for 18 hours and eating for 6. Of course, eating at a caloric deficit.
Anyone using this diet plan as well ? Any progress ? It's my 5th day, feeling great ! Haven't weighed myself yet, gonna do it on the 7th day !

Replies

• dangermouse1961
    Options
    Fasting is not good for weight loss - you MUST eat your recommended diet calorie intake. This is because the body will go into "starvation" mode and hold onto as many calories as possible and therefore slow down your metabolism. You may get a good weight loss for the first week but it will be short lived and most of that will be water as the body uses it glycogen stores and the water that holds the glycogen is passed out of the body. Sorry to be a nag but it really is for the best.:smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Fasting is not good for weight loss - you MUST eat your recommended diet calorie intake. This is because the body will go into "starvation" mode and hold onto as many calories as possible and therefore slow down your metabolism. You may get a good weight loss for the first week but it will be short lived and most of that will be water as the body uses it glycogen stores and the water that holds the glycogen is passed out of the body. Sorry to be a nag but it really is for the best.:smile:

OOOPS...WRONG ANSWER !

intermittent fasting is awesome. the dreaded starvation mode doesnt happen until at least 72 hours without food and for some even longer. fasting for 16-20 hours is not an issue and helps me big time.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    There is plenty of evidence that the old skipping meals slows your metabolism dogma is wrong and there are lots of people doing IF who have seen great results. Just look at Martin of Leangains fame.

To the OP, you seem to be already quite lean so IF is a good way to shred a liitle more body fat. Good luck.
  • TerenceCzh
    Options
    @dangermouse No worries, I'm definitely still eating ! Just within a 6hour period. I see where your concern stems from, but don't worry :)

@Dave How long have you been on IF ? I'm so excited to be on this plan and am looking forward to the results !

@tidmutt Hoping IF can melt away the stubborn lower ab fat ! Thanks !
  • followmyredthread
    Options
    Just to clarify -- you only eat within a six hour period? Does it matter how it's spread out over that period, or should it be regular intervals in that period? I've heard a few different things about IF recently and I'd love to know more about it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Are you doing leangains?

I tried it, but could never pack enough food in the eating window without getting sick.

Though I wonder if the effectiveness of LG is really due to the carb cycling, and not so much the fasting.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify -- you only eat within a six hour period? Does it matter how it's spread out over that period, or should it be regular intervals in that period? I've heard a few different things about IF recently and I'd love to know more about it.
    Although there are forms of IF out there that are somewhat rigid in terms of window duration, you can honestly set your feeding window to any time frame: 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10. If you are used to small meals spread several hours apart, you may want to have a larger window so you do not experience trouble consuming your daily calories in a shorter time span. To help, slightly increase each meal you eat, modestly, to prepare.
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options
    Im on almost a month of IF and have lost 15lbs. I love it because it definately helps me to stick with a calorie restricted diet, is helping with my insulin resistant disorder and has so many other benefitss like increased energy, clarity and not having to focus on food all day long. Before starting IF it took me 3+ months to loose 15 lbs. So far it is working great as part of my weightloss plan.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    what's point of eating your daily intake within 6 hours? And why is this thread in Fitness and Exercise??
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    what's point of eating your daily intake within 6 hours? And why is this thread in Fitness and Exercise??

Messes with your insulin resistance in a good way.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Are you doing leangains?

I tried it, but could never pack enough food in the eating window without getting sick.

Though I wonder if the effectiveness of LG is really due to the carb cycling, and not so much the fasting.

I dont cycle carbs and over 6 hours (usually more like 2 hours) I can very easily eat over 1800 calories. When I started IF, I had to control my initial feeds to not over eat. Now, it is so convenient to not have to eat for my fasting hours.
  • madmickie
    Options

Messes with your insulin resistance in a good way.

That;'s a good thing?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    When I was able to rig my schedule so that I could do IF I loved it. Worked it just like it's set out on the Lean Gains site. Works like a charm. However now I have to put my workouts dead smack in the middle of my fast and they suffered. Boo.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Now bro, don't take this the wrong way because I'm only trying to be supportive and honest.

I don't think you've acquired the type of real estate necessary to be cutting just yet. IMO, your frame would benefit from a 15-20lb bulk.

In regard to your main topic: IF.

I personally don't like the way it looks from a metabolic standpoint...I feel that fasting for long periods of time creates a blood sugar sensitivity and insulin deficiency, both detrimental to physique building. In terms of overall health I don't think it'll cause significant damage in the long turn...but the short term deprivation is unwarranted and unnecessary in relation to the desired results. However...I know people personally who swear by it...so whatever motivates you I guess. On paper though...I couldn't recommend this type of nutritional constriction.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Are you doing leangains?

I dont cycle carbs and over 6 hours (usually more like 2 hours) I can very easily eat over 1800 calories. When I started IF, I had to control my initial feeds to not over eat. Now, it is so convenient to not have to eat for my fasting hours.

Finding the brakes on reentry is an issue for me
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Now bro, don't take this the wrong way because I'm only trying to be supportive and honest.

I don't think you've acquired the type of real estate necessary to be cutting just yet. IMO, your frame would benefit from a 15-20lb bulk.

In regard to your main topic: IF.

I personally don't like the way it looks from a metabolic standpoint...I feel that fasting for long periods of time creates a blood sugar sensitivity and insulin deficiency, both detrimental to physique building. In terms of overall health I don't think it'll cause significant damage in the long turn...but the short term deprivation is unwarranted and unnecessary in relation to the desired results. However...I know people personally who swear by it...so whatever motivates you I guess. On paper though...I couldn't recommend this type of nutritional constriction.

it isnt nutritional constrestriction in the slightest. nutrition is not in jeapordy with either leangains or eat stop eat approach. check it out more thoroughly.
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started IF on Sunday, so I'm on my 5th day also. I've never been a breakfast eater, so I think this plan will be good for me. I'm doing the 16/8 - I only eat between 11:30 - 7:30 and fast the rest of those hours. I do eat within my 1200 calories and eat veggies, fruit, carbs and protein.
    My weight loss has been at a stand still for a few weeks, so I'm hoping this will jump start it again.
    I'd be interested in hearing how other people are doing on IF.
    Michelle :)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Currently in process of this weight loss plan ! Been told it helps to lose fat efficiently. Fasting for 18 hours and eating for 6. Of course, eating at a caloric deficit.
    Anyone using this diet plan as well ? Any progress ? It's my 5th day, feeling great ! Haven't weighed myself yet, gonna do it on the 7th day !

I do fasting, and I think it's great, but I do it differently from what you're doing. I fast for 24 hours either 1 or 2 days a week (never back to back). On eating days, I eat my regular calories, and when I fast, I stop eating around 6pm and go til the following 6pm. When I break the fast, I have a normal dinner - nothing crazy.

So far, after about 2-3 weeks, I've lost weight and I feel fine. I rarely have any real hunger while I'm fasting - although I do notice the psychological impulse to eat, which I don't give in to.

Basically, it's the Eat Stop Eat method. The one thing that I'm still working my way into is doing workouts on fasting days. I hear that you can, but I haven't done it yet.
  • madmickie
    Options
    Still dont get the reason for doing this. surely you can achieve the body you want with a good diet and appropriate exercise - and maybe some drugs!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Still dont get the reason for doing this. surely you can achieve the body you want with a good diet and appropriate exercise - and maybe some drugs!

you have made your point. if you really wanted to understand it you can simply go to the referenced websites.