For The Ladies (Unless the men know)

Options
124»

Replies

• ytfelmi
    ytfelmi Posts: 47
    Options
    I keep hearing about these "Skinny Cows" What are they exactly?

Basically low calorie versions of snacks and ice creams from what I've seen. The knock off of the snickers ice cream bars are very good.

Oh man! My boyfriend and I just went to see Dirty Dancing last night at AMC. Skinny Cow was promoting their 25th anniversary. Gave away free ice cream bars in the theater. I've heard about them before, but hadn't tried many of their snacks. We both had the mmmocha chocolate truffle bar, and it was really good! 100cal, and my boy gobbled his up without even questioning it. Haha. They were also promoting their new frozen cookies. Not sure if they're on the market yet, but excited to try them! (by frozen, i mean the DOUGH. You still have to bake them. Haha)
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I CHOMP on carrots, I love cucumber with salt and pepper - nice and fresh but at the same time savoury! yum! I distract myself with a workout. But, for the sake of sanity I do indulge every now and then, lol!

also, dont'worry about the weight gain, a lot of women put on some water weight around that TOM, it'll come right off in about a week. It's not fat, keep telling yourself that, it's not fat!

I will have to keep telling myself this. I was soooo proud to be down 3 pounds this week until I gained 2 back lol I think that is why I was so mad at myself I was finally getting rid of the baby weight number and to gain 2 back made me so mad at myself but I keep forgetting about water retention. I think I will work extra hard this week so that when I do weigh in (which was supposed to be tomorrow but now I will wait) and see how much of a drop I can obtain. Thanks for your post :)
  • nicolahobson
    Options
    I don't have that problem with my monthly but I did have it intolerabley during my pregnancy with my last daughter. Suddenly I craved chocolate like CRAZY! I was really trying to watch my weight gain and eat healthy though, so I bought a bag of Dark Chocolate Kisses and would allow myself 2 a day. By allowing myself the "goodies" it helped me not go crazy because I knew it wasn't off limits but by controlling how much of it I did eat, I was still able to keep my weight under control. By the time I had her, I had only gained 17 pounds. ;-) Good luck!
  • dreamsofescaping
    Options
    I wish skinny cows were made with almond milk lol I am lactose haha they sound sooooo yummmmmmyyyyy but I have learned over the last 8 years to avoid most dairy products lol
  • dreamsofescaping
    Options
    :heart: I have to leave for work but thank you EVERYONE for all of your tips, and advice it will not be taken lightly and I will def try some of your suggestions. Thank you all for taking my negative post and turning it back into something positive and making me feel better and I am going to work out really hard this week :-D Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you're craving potato chips, have you tried making your own? Baked sweet potato (or even regular potato) chips that you make yourself really aren't bad. You control the fat and salt, and they come out of the oven hot!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My advice is to keep yourself full of good for you things so you won't have room for bad stuff. Also if you are craving that salty kick I suggest getting some potassium chloride powder. It is a salt substitute and work wonders on water retention. Potassium is a great counteraction for any lbs you are carrying due to water weight. That way you can kill two birds with one stone. Get the salt you are craving and get rid of the water all at once.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    When I want chocolate I just have some but not a lot. I adore super dark chocolate and I can buy very small bars of it that won't blow my calories all at once so that's what I do. I just buy one small one and enjoy it.

Popcorn is like crack to me so I have to be careful with it. I pop my own in a little coconut oil so there are no "100 calorie packs" for me but at least I can control the amount I make and I know it's just popcorn, oil and a little salt. If I don't just have some of what I'm wanting I will be in the kitchen all night trying to satisfy the craving.

Two days before I get very hungry and nothing seems to satisfy. On those days I just make sure what I eat it protein dense, drink lots of water and make sure my magnesium and potassium intake is good. The two days after I begin I don't like to eat much of anything so it all evens out in the end. :)

I have found that when I'm drinking my green smoothies everyday my cravings aren't as intense. It's probably because I have lots of good stuff in there and my body isn't freaking out for something I haven't already given it. I also take magnesium supplements and have much milder PMS issues than when I didn't take them.
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    If you have a sweet tooth and it's chocolate you crave... give in, but give into dark chocolate. It's heart healthy and has more kick than milk chocolate- so you'll feel like you're beeing bad- without breaking the caloric bank. if you're a salty and sweet, melt some of that said chocolate down and dip some low fat preztels in- tah-dah!
  • llpleslie
    llpleslie Posts: 53
    Options
    I am a chocolate hound, so I keep all sorts of fruits in the house to snack on when I get a week moment. It has helped, but I am already worrying about the upcoming hoilday's becuse I cook alot of sweets for the family which is one of those requirements.
  • llpleslie
    llpleslie Posts: 53
    Options
    Fiber one bars are great also, only 90 calories, and Special K has little chocolate pastry crips that are really good also, 100 calories
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!! Around that time of the month like clock work, I crave chocolate... that's usually how I know I'm about to start. lol.. I don't have any good advice really because I struggle with it too. But if you need to have something, get the low calorie snacks.. I love skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. I think they're like 150 calories per sandwich. Yummy.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Okay... Seriously, I am so mad at myself. I know within the next 1-1and a half weeks aunt flow is coming to visit from red river and the same thing happened last month I crave junk food and because I am avoiding it I will keep grazing the kitchen to try and substitute last night I made a veggie sandwich (not a bad thing) I was still within my calorie intake, but nooOOoOooo I couldn't stop there so I grabbed some trisquit bisquits, could I stop there NOooOoooo I had an apple (not bad) I know, but I have been like this for 2 days in a row the previous night I ate a gigantic amount of popcorn. I weighed myself today and I am sure the popcorn finally caught up with me because now I am 2 more pounds heavier than yesterday morning. So, bottom line... HOW IN THE HECK do you ladies prevent near that time of the month snacking, and I guess it could work for anytime of the month how do you turn off the junkfood craving switch in the brain? I do soooo good for 3 weeks out of the month but then I graze because I am not getting what I truly want a big ol' bag of chips and chocolate. I keep thinking just buy a bag get it out of your system but I know me and cannot be trusted with junk food I will eat it until it is gone or if I do manage to save some I will eat it everyday until its gone. I know I have to stay away from it I havent even bought a bag of chips since the end of May.

I schedule snack times throughout the day so I don't have the opportunity to just graze.

Also (since my monthly visitor is soon expected...sucks the week before my wedding, but whatevs) I schedule "treats" in there. I know I cannot resist chocolate close to that certain time. So for a snack I may do 1-1 1/2 Tbsp chocolate chips with 1-1 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter. It sates my craving and is somewhat heavy (without being TOO bad in calories) so I feel full.

Get some skinny cows for treats. They're chocolatey and delish.

Most important thing is to remove yourself from the situation. Find some way to remind yourself to not pick up a snack even when you feel like it...a note on the fridge maybe?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about these "Skinny Cows" What are they exactly?

Basically low calorie versions of snacks and ice creams from what I've seen. The knock off of the snickers ice cream bars are very good.

I had never seen those before! I usually do the chocolate/peanut butter ice cream sandwiches...they're pretty good.

Also agree with the chocolate fiber one bars-just like a candy bar.
  • xHarleyQuinnx
    Options
    Though I'm not practicing my own advice at the moment, judging by the nearly empty can of pringles in front of me, I will say what helps when I actually put in the effort is this: Eat high fiber foods to make you feel full, drink PLENTY of water (this helps keep you full and flush out water weight!), and don't deprive yourself completely! If you crave something salty, eat a granola bar or trail mix. If you want sweet, get something like a Hershey bar, M&Ms, something that's easily portioned already, eat a small amount, and save the rest for later if you have the control to. If you know you'll be going back after a few minutes but there's someone else around, offer to split it with them and give them the rest so it won't be there to tempt you later. Also, dark chocolate is the way to go. It's sweet enough to curb the cravings, and I don't eat as much dark chocolate as I would milk chocolate so I don't overdo it. I'm not sure if you're like that, but it's worth a try anyway. Even if you don't eat less dark than milk, dark chocolate is still a healthier alternative. It's also important to keep in mind that the "weight gain" is more than likely just water weight. Unless you eat a *massive* amount, that two pound gain isn't fat gain. As long as you drink plenty of water and wait a little while, the number will go back down and it's NOTHING to worry about.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If I have a really specific craving that bugs me long-term, I'll just go for it. I tend to graze the most when I'm trying to avoid a specific craving for a long time. Fortunately or unfortunately, most of my cravings are for Greek food.
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    it's SO hard. I try to keep healthier chocolate options around because that's what I crave - so diet hot chocolate (25 cals), fiber one chocolate brownies (90 cals), chocolate frozen banana slices, etc. I also highly recommend extended cycle birth control, like seasonal, I love only having to see Aunt Flo 4 times a year! :-)

Just curious with the seasonal, I know you only see AF 4 times a year but does that mean no PMS either? I was supposed to have a procedure done to lessen or get rid of AF but I still would have dealt with PMS. I don't need birth control for it's intended use but have thought about going back on it for the PMS reason.

sorry I just saw this. I've been on it for the past few years... I remember with the first cycle (3 months) I was on it I still got PMS... like I'd get super emotional and then realize 'oh this is the week before I would of had my period' and also had some spotting & was ready to give up, but my ob/gyn assured me that it takes your body time to adjust. The next round was great & NO pms or spotting! I don't get PMS or anyting now in between, plus the lightest periods I've ever had in my life! It's different for everyone but it works great for me. I actually switched to a generic about a year ago called "Quasense" and it works just as well!
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options
    Last night I had (y'all don't laugh):
    6 strawberries sliced up
    1 serving (3/4C of Honey Nut Cheerios)
    1 sugar free Jello Chocolate/Vanilla swirl pudding cup

Total: 193 calories
    Felt like: 1000 calories

I also ate it in bed. In my PJs. And I don't feel even a little bit bad about it. : ) PMS doesn't stand a chance!
  • lovehealthlift
    lovehealthlift Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate by HALF A STONE daily, the only way i know my true weight is weighing myself once a month. Your junk food eating wont have made you gain 2lbs, do you know why? Because to gain two pounds of body fat you'd need to have eaten 7000 calories OVER the recommended amount of intake for the day. Now higher sodium levels (salt intake) can lead to retaining water, and also - two cups of water =1lb, and once you've drunk that - it doesn't pass through straight away. Not to mention women retain serious large amounts of water around the time of the month and HORMONES change our weight. Stop beating yourself up, having a treat is a good thing, i've lost 50lbs since July 2011 with PLENTY of treats. Health = Moderation <3