Water retention

Options
So I'm happy with my weight loss journey, but atm I am so wobblier than normal! It's been so hot lately and I've felt really dehydrated, so I've been drinking plenty, but it seems to just stay inside and extend my tummy. I look like I have a baby in there!
I've looked at my salt intake recently, and I seem to have been quite good!
Any foods to help relieve this? Any other tips? Pleeasee...I can't get logical measurements atm and I was doing so well!

Replies

• blondiebonce
    Options
    Bump
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I wish I could tell you some magic to help, but with humidity being so high in Jersey stepping on the scale is a no-no. Told my friend this morning I'm going to wait until September to weigh myself lol. You seem to be watching your salt intake - so just keep it in mind that the numbers that you see are "humidity & heat" numbers. Good luck to you.:wink:
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    bump
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    I was told vitamin B complex helps. I'm not sure if it helps, I just started it today.
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Ive heard to drink more water for water retention but if you are drinking lots of water, I don't know...:sad:
  • dzvinka82
    dzvinka82 Posts: 33
    Options
    I would like to know the secret to water retention as well!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Try googling foods that help release water retetion. I hear no more than 2 stalks of celery is a good natural diuretic. It should be raw but you can add it to things like salad if you cant bear to eat it plain.
  • natzkj
    natzkj Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    peppermint tea. Helps me not feel so bloated
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Coffee with some heavy cream or coconut oil; no sugar?
  • Andagainitsher
    Options
    Being hydrated isn't just about having enough water in our bodies. I have the same problem too and have noticed that having the right electrolytes helps with water retention too. If you like the taste, coconut water has an awesome electrolyte content.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You can also try taking a long bath or even just soaking your feet for 30 to 60 min. Best not to do that right before bed though because when you stop retaining water there are only two ways that it is released. Sweat and...
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water reduces water retention. It does not increase it. The best cure for bloating is drinking lots of water and watching sodium intake. Though in all honesty, there is nothing really bad about water retention, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    So I'm happy with my weight loss journey, but atm I am so wobblier than normal! It's been so hot lately and I've felt really dehydrated, so I've been drinking plenty, but it seems to just stay inside and extend my tummy. I look like I have a baby in there!
    I've looked at my salt intake recently, and I seem to have been quite good!
    Any foods to help relieve this? Any other tips? Pleeasee...I can't get logical measurements atm and I was doing so well!

Please keep in mind that sodium numbers for most food on site are inaccurate/lacking/misleading. It's highly impossible for most packed dressings or sauces to have 0 mg of sodium.
  • blondiebonce
    Options
    Thanks guys- If i'm not bloated I have water retention..wheyyy!
    Thanks for all your advice! Atm I'm at the stage where if I poke my belly I can feel a swishy noise (sorry...but that's how it is!)
    I hadn't thought about the diary not showing all the salt...feel a bit silly haha, but will keep a better eye/choose the same choices but that show the macros best.
    I don't actually like coconut, and I don't know if I could afford a specific oil- are there any other kinds of foods etc with electrolytes that would be beneficial?

ezrismommy- would I need to put anything specific in the bath like salts or anything cos that sounds pretty good...
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    LOL if humidity means I shouldn't step on the scale... since I live in Florida I shouldn't go on the scale until December :p
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Water retention is your body's autonomous response to not having enough water for it's needs. It's a self preservation response.

You need a decent amount of water each day (the experts say 8 glasses as a guide) to train your body to know it will have a sufficient supply coming in. When your body is trained to know it has a consistent supply coming in, it won't hold on to what you have.

The use of diuretics is a short term bandage that will ultimately cause your body to want to hold on to what it has even more than before.

Our bodies do the same thing with food. Too little will make it try to hold on to whatever it has.
  • blondiebonce
    Options
    I live in England and we've had about 3 days of sun, so I reckon my body is having a mild breakdown at the change.
    I thought I did drink quite a lot, and even more so over the last week or 2. Could it be my body getting used to the extra fluids it's not used to?
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I do think women naturally have a different "cycle" when it comes to water retention then men. I've heard it said it takes a minimum of 21 days for your body to adjust to changes.

Do you drink fresh filtered water or some kind of mineral water or spring water? Mineral water may have hidden levels of sodium which will cause you to retain. Same with spring water. Additionally, non-local source water (bottled spring or fancy water from the Chilean mountains or some such nonsense) can cause bowel problems. Water has a natural amount of bacteria in it. When you drink non-local source water, your body must adjust to the different levels and varieties of bacteria and micro-organisms in it. This can cause some strange bodily responses. I can't drink spring water because I start getting a sore throat within hours of intake.

If you aren't tracking your sodium, try doing that for a while (custom settings) to see if you are taking in too much. I was shocked the other day to find a slice of bread had 420mg of sodium per slice! That would be almost half my daily allowance in just 2 slices of bread!

Fresh filtered local source water is best, in my opinion.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My mom suggests sitting in a hot bathtub and drinking icewater. Works for me and for my dad, who has serious kidney trouble.
  • blondiebonce
    Options
    mrincredible9- I only drink tapwater tbh because it's all I can afford!

nxd10- that sounds good- do you know why it works?