HRM - fat%? Training load?

Options
I got my first HRM yesterday (polar RCX3 with G5 GPS - LOVE IT!!) and have a few questions.

Yesterday I cycled for 57 minutes, avg HR was 140, it says "fat percentage of calories" was 27%, and "training load" was 96.
Today, I ran for 47 minutes, avg HR was 156, fat percentage of calories was 16% and training load was 114.

What does the percentage mean, that 27% of my calories burned was fat? What about the other 73%? At this point, my goal is fat burning, so should I run slower?

And what is training load? The polar glossary didn't help...

Replies

• 4schrocks
    4schrocks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump. I too am interested.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I got my first HRM yesterday (polar RCX3 with G5 GPS - LOVE IT!!) and have a few questions.

Yesterday I cycled for 57 minutes, avg HR was 140, it says "fat percentage of calories" was 27%, and "training load" was 96.
    Today, I ran for 47 minutes, avg HR was 156, fat percentage of calories was 16% and training load was 114.

What does the percentage mean, that 27% of my calories burned was fat? What about the other 73%? At this point, my goal is fat burning, so should I run slower?

the lower the intensity of movement, the more the body uses the fatty acid energy system to assist in muscle movement rather than glucose (carbs, the other 73% if you will).

But this is NOT something that matters. Sitting on your *kitten* all day burns almost 100% of energy from fat. If the fat % burned from movement actually matters, people who burn 100% of calories from fat by sitting on their *kitten* all day should be some lean *kitten* mofos..

Eating less calories than your body is able to burn is the ONLY thing that matters for fat loss. Exercise is a way to increase the total of calories burned, allowing a greater/easier deficit. For fat loss if your diet is not in check, exercise is pointless, you won't reach your goals.

edit: as for training load, I honestly don't have a clue. I'm going to assume it has something to do with VO2MAX.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

the lower the intensity of movement, the more the body uses the fatty acid energy system to assist in muscle movement rather than glucose (carbs, the other 73% if you will).

But this is NOT something that matters. Sitting on your *kitten* all day burns almost 100% of energy from fat. If the fat % burned from movement actually matters, people who burn 100% of calories from fat by sitting on their *kitten* all day should be some lean *kitten* mofos..

Eating less calories than your body is able to burn is the ONLY thing that matters for fat loss. Exercise is a way to increase the total of calories burned, allowed a greater/easier deficit. If your diet is not in check, exercise is pointless, you won't reach your goals.

Thanks for the explanation :) I am eating at a deficit, so I am still losing weight. I just want to get the most out of my workouts. So I shouldn't be concerned with the percentages?

What about training load? What does that mean?
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Bump...training load anyone?