Coffee

Options
Can you count decaffienated coffee as part of your water consumption for the day?

Replies

• SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you want :smile: That's why I love MFP.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Can you? Yes, you can do whatever you want.

Would I? No.
  • sdprager
    sdprager Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely. The 8 glasses of water a day is quite arbitrary and not supported by substantial evidence (or anecdote). Drink when you're thirty and know that lots of foods are also high in water content.
  • darcygooding
    Options
    You can but... I won't.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do. Don't know if I'm supposed to or not...lol I somtimes also count decaf iced tea. I get at least 4 glass of plain water daily though. This is a huge improvement for me cause before I just didn't see the point. But after 2 months of doing it, its become second nature.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, but I also drink a ton of water throughout the day (I always have), and a ton of regular coffee. A friend of mine who sees a nutritionist claims she was told that green tea counts as part of her 8 glasses. So if she can count that, then I guess you can count decaf coffee. But, I still think water should be water.
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I count my big cup of coffee (non decaf) in the morning - should I? Maybe not, but I only count it as 1 cup when it's actually 2... after that I switch to only water anyway. I'm a one cup a day girl (except for some Mondays...)
  • GettingDBack
    GettingDBack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Can you count decaffienated coffee as part of your water consumption for the day?

I say yes. I count my unsweetened tea as part of my water comsumption.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    One is a hydrater the other a diraretic, I drink a lot of coffee everyday but it is not included in my 8 glasses of water. Just my opinion.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    sorry i just realized you said decaf, i dont know anything about decaf
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I do know what the question is.

The actual question is "Is decaffeinated coffee a diuretic?" Regular coffee is a diuretic which I think means that it makes you pee more than the volume of what you drank therefore it creates a condition of dehydration, not the desired hydration.

I have no idea what the answer is.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown for regular coffee to be a real diuretic that it takes about 4-7 cups. Course I suppose you can take all studies with a grain of salt. If true though that's not to say I would count any of those towards my water intake. I count regular water and herbal teas when I drink them in the cold weather months. There are also studies showing you can count foods such as watermelon and other foods with a high water content towards your water but I don't. I like plain water so it's not too hard for me to get 8 or more cups a day, sometimes it is nice to spice it up with some lemon though =]
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You don't have to track your water intake. Drink if you're thirsty.
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Absolutely. The 8 glasses of water a day is quite arbitrary and not supported by substantial evidence (or anecdote). Drink when you're thirty and know that lots of foods are also high in water content.

That all depends on which field of medical science you want to get answers from - your claim about evidence comes from a nephrologist who in his field said it was not necessary for kidney function to have 8 glasses a day - although the kidneys can handle gallons of fluid per day. A haematologist when looking at blood cell structure will generally observe cells that are dehydrated. oddly, the most cases of hyponatremia occurs in endurance athletes who have had too much water but neglected electrolytes in particular sodium, causing the blood cells to become enlarged with fluid. This leads people to state that you can have too much water or too much water can kill, not the case it is the imbalance that can cause serious harm.

8 glasses is arbitary, most people should drink much, much, much more.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Probably, since it's decaf. I'm not sure. I don't count my fluid intake, so I guess I shouldn't be giving advice on it.
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options

I take milk and sweetners in the morning so I set up a "my recipe" for coffee and put it in snacks.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    I do. Don't know if I'm supposed to or not...lol I somtimes also count decaf iced tea. I get at least 4 glass of plain water daily though. This is a huge improvement for me cause before I just didn't see the point. But after 2 months of doing it, its become second nature.

^^This right here.

A month ago, I would drink a full glass of water like once or twice a week. The rest of the time is was soda, coffee, or juice. But now I will down 4-7 (16oz ) bottles aday, everyday! yay me :-)
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options

I most definitely do! Coffee is 99% water (or maybe down to 90% depending on how much of a cream addict you are) Why wouldn't you count 90-99% water as water intake??