Workout Shoe Suggestions

Options
Does anyone have a suggestion for a great pair of workout shoes for the Hip Hop Abs and Insanity workouts? I am currently working out in a pair of Reebok RMX or DMX shoes. They are not giving me the support I need for the intensity of the workouts. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Have you ever worn New Balance?? I cant give you are certain number...but NB in general are great workout shoes...mainly running...But I wear them for all of my work outs and the classes I do incorporate that vigious style like you are asking about...my feet are very well supported..
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Go to a local running shop (not like Sport Chalet or something like that) and ask them to help you find a good pair of shoes. They will be able to help you determine what's best for you.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I concur. Go to a good athletic shoe shop. Some running shoe stores carry only running shoes, so they won't make the cross trainers recommended for Insanity. Cross trainers offer more lateral support than running shoes do. A good fitter will watch you walk and move to see if you have any gait or stability concerns. You may pay more initially, but your knees will thank you. After you know what brands work for you, you can shop for bargains.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    For me it is New Balance or bust.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    I LOVE asics; they are very supporting for me and are durable :)
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Have you considered barefoot? I have a lot of foot issued and my podiatrist suggested working out barefoot when in my own home. It is great, no issues and no incorrect support. The feet are naturally designed to support your body!
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Something I just found
    http://youtu.be/yfuFuf6oF3I
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Have you considered barefoot? I have a lot of foot issued and my podiatrist suggested working out barefoot when in my own home. It is great, no issues and no incorrect support. The feet are naturally designed to support your body!

This. Unless I'm running outside, I do barefoot.
  • workkoutchick96
    Options
    NIke Free Run 2.0... amazing, comfortable shoe! :)
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Go to a local running shop (not like Sport Chalet or something like that) and ask them to help you find a good pair of shoes. They will be able to help you determine what's best for you.
    This.

I'm a cheapskate, but I'll pay premium prices at my local running shop for my athletic shoes (I'm not a runner, but I walk A LOT) - it is definitely worth the time and money, especially since I have super high arches, tend to pronate when I walk and am suffering from plantar fasciitis.

Asics work really well for me, but your feet may require something different - I have friends who swear by Brooks.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I could never find shoes that worked right for me, I always thought I needed more support. One day I bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and I couldn't believe the difference barefoot made for me. I had never been able to run, because my legs always hurt. The first day I ran in my Vibrams I ran over a mile. I had heel spurs and plantar fachitis, and now I have neither. I have since switched to Merrell Trail Gloves, same sole as the five fingers, but they look like normal shoes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Different shoe brands make shoes specifically for aerobics. I saw some at the Nike outlet last week and I know I've seen other brands carry them, too. If you can't find an aerobic shoe, look for a good pair of cross trainers. Don't hesitate to put them on a jump around in them in the store. It's the only way you're really going to know. Even at the running store they have you put the shoes on and run around for a bit before making your decision.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    ryka ortholite shoes are awesome! They are pretty cheap, but they are really light, and the most comfortable shoes I've ever exercised in. They have tons of them on amazon.com. They are aerobic shoes, so probably just what you need.
  • emmygrace2012
    emmygrace2012 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love my Saucony Omni 10 (for mild-moderate pronators...they are also wide).
    I wouldn't know this unless I was professionally fitted.
    Go to a running store.
    Fleet Feet, Off 'n' Running, etc.
    Good luck!

Once you get fitted, you can usually find the shoes cheaper on amazon. :-)
  • msjamartin
    msjamartin Posts: 148
    Options
    Ryka makes shoes exclusively for women and they have many options that a specific for the types of workouts you have mentioned. They are not overly expensive but they are hard to find in regular stores. You may have to order a couple different ones online and return those that don't work. I love mine for the dvd's I do at home.

I run exclusively in Saucony now. I used to wear Brooks when I was heavier and bought cross-trainers. After a visit to Road Runner and trying Ascis, Brooks, NB, Nike and Saucony I've moved to Saucony. I have 3 pairs for 3 different running/workout situations. I bought all of them 1/2 price(purchased a retiring model when the new one came out. Watch for the new releases as the older models tend to go on closeout at the same time. Great way to get good deals)
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

^ Yeah I'm with them. I have Nike+ shoes for running but for Insanity they weren't cutting it. So I bought another pair of Nike shoes that were more of a cross trainer and not made just for running... didn't help. I also tried KSwiss Tubes... still didn't help. So I do Insanity bare foot and NO problems what-so-ever!!! (I can wear shoes for other DVD's I do (Jillian Michaels) but not Insanity... I think it's all the jumping and whatnot?) Anyways someone said Merrell Trail Gloves/Five Fingers. These really intrigue me... I wonder if they would work for me too. Not sure I wanna drop another 100 bucks on shoes that may not help though but maybe I'll ask for them for my birthday!
  • GinaRicky
    GinaRicky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I swear by Ryka. They specialize in women's sneakers. I had a lot of feet issues and they work best for me.
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Dying to try out my Vibram Five Fingers for running. I will admit I have a variety of shoes depending on the workouts. I have Champions rocker style shoes that I wear for walking, Nike Air Max International Running/Training for my 30 DS and other workouts, Reebok RunPrime athletic shoes for running ONLY (walking in these causes some callouses), and for work I have Dr. Scholls Fitness Walkers for Work.

But I agree with some of the others who say go barefoot or go to a GOOD store that will really assist you in finding the right shoe for YOU and your activities!
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options

^ Yeah I'm with them. I have Nike+ shoes for running but for Insanity they weren't cutting it. So I bought another pair of Nike shoes that were more of a cross trainer and not made just for running... didn't help. I also tried KSwiss Tubes... still didn't help. So I do Insanity bare foot and NO problems what-so-ever!!! (I can wear shoes for other DVD's I do (Jillian Michaels) but not Insanity... I think it's all the jumping and whatnot?) Anyways someone said Merrell Trail Gloves/Five Fingers. These really intrigue me... I wonder if they would work for me too. Not sure I wanna drop another 100 bucks on shoes that may not help though but maybe I'll ask for them for my birthday!

FILA makes some similar to the Vibram Five Fingers and they are a little less expensive. I haven't tried them but they look nice and seem a little easier as the last two toes are not as separated and difficult to get into their space. My friend really likes hers.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY FIVE FINGERS!