Needing help- :-(

Options
On Mother's day of this year we found out that my mom has type 2 diabetes and since then I have lost 77lbs. I weighed myself today only to find out that I have only lost 1lb this week. I am so upset because I have been working out 6 days a week atleast 2x a day. I was eating 17-1900 calories and on Monday dropped that down to 1500 in hopes of a larger weight loss this week, no luck. I just don't know what I could be doing wrong. I measure everything perfectly, I exercise a lot, I don't drink any of my calories, I am just at a loss for words.

I have watched Biggest Loser for many seasons and they always say that you have to have calories in and calories out, could it be that I am not eating enough calories for the work that I am doing? I need someone to tell me what to do because I feel like this little loss is weighing on me and I have so much further to go, it is too soon for this low of a weight loss.

Any ideas?

-77lbs
-122lbs just to be under at 199 :-(

Replies

• SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I think every ounce of weight lost should be celebrated. IMHO! But I see that you have a significant amount that you would like to lose.

Bump, so that someone with more knowledge can see and help.
  • mollykat73
    mollykat73 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify....You've lost 77lbs since May 13th?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify....You've lost 77lbs since May 13th?

Yeah, this ^^....you're complaining? I say "Well done."
  • paradise666
    Options
    Maybe you are losing inches? Have your recently measured waste, hips and thighs?
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You are not doing anything wrong. You've done really really well so far, and you're body is becoming more efficient, more used to the routine. I don't think you should drop your calories, this could possibly stall you out further. Keep them where you had them. Keep up with your workouts, but change them out. Not sure what you're doing right now, but if you walking, try increasing the incline on the treadmill If you're using one. Vary your pace (fast walk or even slow jog for 1 minute, then 2-3 minutes at a slower pace to recover). Let us know what you're doing for exercises and we can maybe give you some more ways to switch it up.

Normal weight loss, especially for women, is 1-2 lbs a week. Some weeks there will be none, its just a fact of hormones, but other weeks will be stellar. I've had weeks where I've dropped 4lbs for no imaginable reason. Don't lose sight of your overall goal, and keep up the fantastic work!
  • kathleenkjos
    kathleenkjos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Boy, you're doing a great job! A 77 pound weight loss in not quite three months is phenomenal. Congratulations on that! I agree with the wisdom you've received thus far; DON'T cut your intake much lower than you are. Our bodies are very efficient and will learn to function on whatever quantity of fuel we give them. My only suggestions would be to shake up your workouts AND your food intake. Eat more today and less tomorrow, keep your body guessing and vary what you eat and do. In 2001 I lost 50 pounds but it took me over a year. I lost a pound (or less some weeks) but I did it consistently. It was pointed out to me by a very wise woman that I hadn't gained 3 pounds a week, why should I expect to lose 3 pounds a week. (Truth be told, I DID often gain 3 pounds in a weekend, but that's a story for another time.)
    Keep going. You're doing a great job. Don't give up. You've worked too hard thus far to give up now.
  • Jennac0le
    Jennac0le Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, I have lost 77lbs since May 14th. We started exercising and working out the day after Mothers day.
  • Jennac0le
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will try anything. This is imperative to my health and I just want to do it the healthiest way. Obviously it is working, I was just hoping on it going faster, since I have so much to lose.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks.
  • Jennac0le
    Options
    I have never measured myself. Not sure where to even start. I have only been going by the scale. Guess that is something I will have to look into.
  • Jennac0le
    Options
    Wow, sorry to make this into so many additional comments. I guess I missed some responses and just wanted to touch base with all of the questions.

I work out 6 days a week sometimes 2-3 times a day. Every day I do the biggest loser on xbox kinect on challenging, I swim, and I so do dance central on xbox kinect. starting a couple of weeks ago I began lifting weights to tone, three times a week. I also go for a brisk walk almost every day if not every day (depending on the weather). I keep trying to mix everything up so my body does not become use to any work out routines. I did not realize that typical weight loss for a women is 1-3 lbs, guess I am doing pretty good, it is just a little disheartening when you see those bigger numbers and then hit a 1....
  • amyoc3
    amyoc3 Posts: 18
    Options
    You said you watch the Biggest Loser- - so you should remember the weeks when some contestants don't lose much weight at all. Sometimes the body isn't ready to drop big numbers every week. Be cautious about dropping so much weight too quickly. The biggest loser is for TV- not for most people to achieve in the regular world. Be grateful for what you have accomplished so far in such a short time. Keep your head up. You are doing great. Weight loss is a marathon- not a sprint! Stay positive and focused. You want weight loss- but you want to be able to maintain it when you are done too.
  • Jennac0le
    Options
    Thank you :-) I appreciate the positive feedback.
  • andsteph51
    andsteph51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! You work so hard and then see only a 1 lb loss. Just remember it's 1 lb that was lost and not gained. You are on the right track. At the end of 4 weeks it will be 4 lb lost and 8 weeks 8 lbs lost. Small goals first and the rest will follow.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You said you watch the Biggest Loser- - so you should remember the weeks when some contestants don't lose much weight at all. Sometimes the body isn't ready to drop big numbers every week. Be cautious about dropping so much weight too quickly. The biggest loser is for TV- not for most people to achieve in the regular world. Be grateful for what you have accomplished so far in such a short time. Keep your head up. You are doing great. Weight loss is a marathon- not a sprint! Stay positive and focused. You want weight loss- but you want to be able to maintain it when you are done too.

What she said - even the most hardcore workouts don't always result in immediate weight loss. Take pride in what you've done and realize there will be plateau's along the way - but it's the long-term change that really matters, and that will happen.
  • racbergs
    racbergs Posts: 72
    Options
    WOW! You're totally kicking some major butt!!!!!! Don't worry about the small numbers, you've lost a ton of weight already and everyone hits a plateau at some point :) Just keep up the good work.