Allergy sufferers & working out

Options
I feel like my face is going to explode. I'm pretty much allergic to every plant and mold out there, and the mold has been going crazy these past couple of days, so despite two prescription meds, I'm still a mouth breather, my face is throbbing and I can't stop sneezing.

Does anyone else have issues like this? How do you get in any exercise? Or do you just skip it until the allergen activity calms down? I don't know how to deal with it. I just feel like curling up in a ball and whining until it all goes away.

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I've never been an allergy sufferer...but this year, they switched all of our wheat and mint fields to corn, lots of corn. I wake up every AM with eye swollen shut, nose bloody, throat hurting, it's terrible. I'm pretty anti-meds and am worried if I take something I will feel worse in a different way. So I've skipped anything at this point.

I just get up and drink a big glass of water to try to flush out whatever has hung around over the night and go for it. Once moving and going, I feel better, and it does seem to make my allergies feel less during the day - with a repeat of the same each AM.

I feel badly for those of you that suffer all the time.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, mine is full time, all year round. My meds have made the average day of allergens just fine, but when things get active, I'm little better than dead. I drink a ton of water, and yesterday added in some green tea, but I can barely breathe, so trying to do more than walking around and cleaning up seems pretty much out of the question.
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I suffer from horrible allergies, from the minute the ground thaws in the spring until when it freezes in the winter, plus I am allergic to cats and dogs- needless to say I am a sneezing sniffling snot ball most of the year so I feel for ya!! On days when my allergies are really bad I work out inside and just try to sniffle and suck it up :/ It's definitely hard to get motivated and not fun!!!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have some pretty miserable allergies too. But for some reason, they seem to dissipate (temporarily) while I'm working out - I guess my body is smart enough to prioritize breathing over being unnecessarily swollen and allergic! It's weird. But I'm thankful for it... otherwise I suppose you could benedryl + coffee it up beforehand and hope you don't fall over :P

In all seriousness though - sorry you're a fellow sufferer. It sucks. I double up on my daily meds occasionally if I'm having a bad week, cause I have to stay ahead of it if I'm going to have relief. If I take pills late or something, I'm done. On bad days, just give yourself a break, it's not your fault your allergies are here! No one wishes for them! Just take pills, eye drops, nasal sprays- all the things you can do get a handle on it, and be consistent, and hopefully you'll get a break.
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    Yep, I am allergic to everything it seems (at least all 63 things they tested me for). I take a 24 hour allegra every day, year round and am very rarely sick anymore. It became available over the counter this year if you want to give it a try. Of course, different types work better for different people, so you may do better on one of the others, but this is the one that works for me.
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I take Claritin for my allergies, but I've found that if I take it in the morning, then workout that day, I feel lightheaded during the workout. Not sure why...but it seems to help if I workout in the evening, and take the pill shortly after my workout, so then by the next evening, its close to being out of my system before I workout, and I don't have the lightheaded issues.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    For me it honestly depends - I was so bad that I would get bronchial pneumonia at least twice a year because no matter how much allergy medication they put me on we couldn't stay on top of it during the worst time of the year. Then I moved to Florida and dealt with it throughout the entire year and couldn't do much more than get up and go to work 5-days a week and then try to get some of my energy back on the weekend:grumble: I finally went to an allergist and have been on allergy shots for about 4 years. I only have 1 or 2 more years to go but no more pneumonia and not many sinus infections. My asthma still kicks my butt during Feb. and March though so I keep an inhaler on me and just suck wind while working out (worst is when someone comes to the gym with cologne/perfume on - usually if that happens my workout is done because I can't keep the asthma attack at bay:angry:). I do feel for you though - sometimes, before the shots, just getting out of bed seemed to be a chore - let alone trying to exercise. The only thing I can suggest is change up your allergy medicine or, if they are that bad and you have insurance/can afford it, see an allergist and see if they can help. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • odmadden2
    odmadden2 Posts: 5
    Options
    There are "mall walkers" for exercise. That's a thought. I don't do much exercise (due to the heat?)...due to laziness. However, my home has stairs, so I lift my knees as high as they will go when I am going up the stairs. It's not much, but it is something.

Here is a website: 10 ways to exercise at home without equipment
    http://www.fitwatch.com/exercise/10-ways-you-can-exercise-at-home-without-any-equipment-10.html
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    i take my allergy meds and get out there
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    For me it honestly depends - I was so bad that I would get bronchial pneumonia at least twice a year because no matter how much allergy medication they put me on we couldn't stay on top of it during the worst time of the year. Then I moved to Florida and dealt with it throughout the entire year and couldn't do much more than get up and go to work 5-days a week and then try to get some of my energy back on the weekend:grumble: I finally went to an allergist and have been on allergy shots for about 4 years. I only have 1 or 2 more years to go but no more pneumonia and not many sinus infections. My asthma still kicks my butt during Feb. and March though so I keep an inhaler on me and just suck wind while working out (worst is when someone comes to the gym with cologne/perfume on - usually if that happens my workout is done because I can't keep the asthma attack at bay:angry:). I do feel for you though - sometimes, before the shots, just getting out of bed seemed to be a chore - let alone trying to exercise. The only thing I can suggest is change up your allergy medicine or, if they are that bad and you have insurance/can afford it, see an allergist and see if they can help. Good Luck:flowerforyou:

I've been tested, and got a "100%" on my test. :P I reacted to everything (dogs and birds were like my lowest reactions). I have an inhaler, but as soon as the medication hits my throat, I start to gag. I'm on hydroxizine and Singulair daily and I take it religiously. Unfortunately, Benadryl and I don't get along well, so I can't add that in. I'm staying inside, but my place doesn't have good filtration so I've got the spore being pushed in anyway by the piece of crap, only works some times AC unit. This is definitely the worst I've felt in a long while. I don't think the mold has been this bad before. I'm considering telling my PCM that shots might be necessary.
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    There are "mall walkers" for exercise. That's a thought. I don't do much exercise (due to the heat?)...due to laziness. However, my home has stairs, so I lift my knees as high as they will go when I am going up the stairs. It's not much, but it is something.

Here is a website: 10 ways to exercise at home without equipment
    http://www.fitwatch.com/exercise/10-ways-you-can-exercise-at-home-without-any-equipment-10.html

I usually do work out at home (I don't have the funds for a gym), but when I roll out of the bed in the morning, I can't breathe through my nose, it bleeds, my throat is so sore that I can barely swallow, my sinuses are swollen, my eyes are swollen. Neti pots do nothing for me. It's ridiculous. Unfortunately, I can't keep the damn allergens OUT of my stupid apartment (one more reason that I can't wait to move). Oh, and I live on the third floor anyway, so I have to do stairs if I venture out no matter what.
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options

Yeah... Do you have just seasonal allergies, or are you allergic to more than just some simple pollens? Because unless you've got more than a little sneezing and tickles, then please just go away because you are not who I am seeking advice from.
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    I have some pretty miserable allergies too. But for some reason, they seem to dissipate (temporarily) while I'm working out - I guess my body is smart enough to prioritize breathing over being unnecessarily swollen and allergic! It's weird. But I'm thankful for it... otherwise I suppose you could benedryl + coffee it up beforehand and hope you don't fall over :P

In all seriousness though - sorry you're a fellow sufferer. It sucks. I double up on my daily meds occasionally if I'm having a bad week, cause I have to stay ahead of it if I'm going to have relief. If I take pills late or something, I'm done. On bad days, just give yourself a break, it's not your fault your allergies are here! No one wishes for them! Just take pills, eye drops, nasal sprays- all the things you can do get a handle on it, and be consistent, and hopefully you'll get a break.

I might have to double up. I'm glad your body tries to compensate for you!
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    I take Claritin for my allergies, but I've found that if I take it in the morning, then workout that day, I feel lightheaded during the workout. Not sure why...but it seems to help if I workout in the evening, and take the pill shortly after my workout, so then by the next evening, its close to being out of my system before I workout, and I don't have the lightheaded issues.

Claratin did nothing for me. I was on double doses of Zyrtec because they gave me the allergy tests, hydroxizine and Singulair.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options

Yeah... Do you have just seasonal allergies, or are you allergic to more than just some simple pollens? Because unless you've got more than a little sneezing and tickles, then please just go away because you are not who I am seeking advice from.
    no i have bronchial ashma (allergy related ) but its managed with meds from drs so don,t get clever
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I suffer from horrible allergies, from the minute the ground thaws in the spring until when it freezes in the winter, plus I am allergic to cats and dogs- needless to say I am a sneezing sniffling snot ball most of the year so I feel for ya!! On days when my allergies are really bad I work out inside and just try to sniffle and suck it up :/ It's definitely hard to get motivated and not fun!!!!

That's me in nut shell! I'm basically allergic to the state I live in, every grass, tree, shrub and weed! I'm also allergic to cats. I take Loratadine (claritin) and Phenylephrine (fake sudafed) in the AM and Cetrizine and benadryl in the PM.. and that's nearly year round!

I stay inside on my bad days, either I go to the gym or I do cardio at home.
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options

no i have bronchial ashma (allergy related ) but its managed with meds from drs so don,t get clever

I'm medicated, and obviously yours is doing a heck of a lot better than mine.
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options

That's me in nut shell! I'm basically allergic to the state I live in, every grass, tree, shrub and weed! I'm also allergic to cats. I take Loratadine (claritin) and Phenylephrine (fake sudafed) in the AM and Cetrizine and benadryl in the PM.. and that's nearly year round!

I stay inside on my bad days, either I go to the gym or I do cardio at home.

I am unfortunately not protected by staying indoors. That's the problem. There is no filtration system for this place, so I'm just as miserable inside (though cooler) than if I was outside. I took some sudafed today, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I do my two meds every night, and usually I'm pretty good to go after that (at least enough that I can breathe through my nose), but these past two days have been horrible.

Is there anything that I can use to actually filter the air in my apartment? It probably doesn't help that I have fans all over to try to circulate the little bit of cool air that sometimes comes out of our AC unit.
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I have allergies too, basically to everything that grows outside, mold, and dust. Typically I am miserable, but for the past couple of years I have gotten away from excessive dairy. I allergies are still there but now I can just take a Zyrtec and I'm good. I run and workout outside all the time and have had minimal issues.
  • dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options
    I've used a very simple aryveditc solution called a neti pot for nearly 2 decads and can't say enough good things about it. It is a saline nasil wash which draws out all of those pollutents that make my head explode.

This isn't an endorsment of any one company, but the specific pot I've used is similar to http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/products-publications/neti-pot-products/

I use it every night before bed and I have a great night's sleep. My husband finds it's better if he uses it in the morning. The good thing is you can use it multiple times a day.

It may take some getting used to, but you'll experience some results immediately, and long term use could help you ureduce your medication.

I am completely med free nearly all year, and to get relief on the worst days can get by withjust Claritin.