To people who've lost lots of weight!

Options

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day most days, some times I let myself go 100-200 over. I find that helps me with not going through a plateau, never been through one, been going at this steady for nearly a year, have lost all my weight over the course of 2 years though. I do not eat back my workout calories not on purpose but if I do eat more then 1200 and I have worked out, I don't stress it either.
  • Medea81
    Medea81 Posts: 69
    Options
    I burn between 300 - 500 calories a day depending on my choice of video of the day, and I eat to my 1400 calories, but I don't eat back the calories burned. I also take Thursday's off from exercise due to a weird shift at work every Thursday.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm not at the "lot of weight" point yet - but I do eat back my exercise cals. I've been on here for 40 days and have lost 12lbs. Also - in my experience - the MFP calorie burn numbers tend to run higher than what is actually burned - so you may choose to only eat back a portion of your exercise cals. (This theory is based on my purchase of a HRM and the sad discovery that my burn was off on the elliptical by half).
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    1570 calories a day and I generally eat back all my exercise calories. And even though I'm trying to maintain, I'm still losing weight... and losing a lot of inches too!
  • Kimikaze79
    Kimikaze79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 and eat back my exercise calories. :)

^This^
    I was not eating back my calories at the beginning, it worked initaially but I eventually stopped losing weight. My body went into starvation mode and started soring fat because I wasnt getting enough calories. For me, I always try to net a minimum of 1200cal.
  • chay69424
    chay69424 Posts: 33
    Options
    I burn 1000-1100 calories a day, and I consume between 1200-1400 a day, and I've lost 7 lbs in 10 days.
    you will see that will drastically change and you will wonder why......

if my calories is set for 1240 a day, and I consume about 1400, and i burn 1100... this leaves me about 800 caloires remaining for the day.. it also matters what you eat throughout the day, i don't eat sweets, no soda, no cake, no junk basically... and i drink 8-12 cups of water a day . go look at my journal... you'll see what i eat. i don't starve myself, it just works out for me... it doesn't mean it will work out for everyone.... isn't this what this forum is for? to share ideas, secrets, and techniques... not to judge others.

my picture doesn't look like I weigh 158 lbs, at 5'5 with BF of 27%, and it doesn't show that i have very muscular legs from spinning and MMA, i can push myself to MY limit and it works well for me... and maybe only me. :)
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1500-2200 calories a day (Lower end no work out and higher end work out days)
    I try to eat back atleast half of my work out but protein dense foods on those days to fuel my muscles. In 2 weeks I've lost 12 lbs so something must be working right. When I start to die off of the decrease I will adjust as I need to by either doing a couple of heavy days and go back to normal or just adjust my eating overall.

I'm on here to lose fat and ton muscle not gain a bunch of muscle. I think it's what every you are trying to do is the path you need to go on.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have varied between 1450 and 1200 NET, which means I eat back all, or almost all of my exercise calories. I workout 5 days a week, so on those days, I am eating 1600 to 1900 calories. On non workout days, I will allow myself to go up to 1400 calories a day (on workout days I'm currently netting 1200).
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat about 1300 cals a day. I don't eat back my exercise calories becuase I cheat every Friday (sometimes Saturday) so I use those cals burned to make up for the cheats.... Works for me, others would roll their eyes lol
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000-1100 calories a day, and I consume between 1200-1400 a day, and I've lost 7 lbs in 10 days.
    you will see that will drastically change and you will wonder why......

if my calories is set for 1240 a day, and I consume about 1400, and i burn 1100... this leaves me about 800 caloires remaining for the day.. it also matters what you eat throughout the day, i don't eat sweets, no soda, no cake, no junk basically... and i drink 8-12 cups of water a day . go look at my journal... you'll see what i eat. i don't starve myself, it just works out for me... it doesn't mean it will work out for everyone.... isn't this what this forum is for? to share ideas, secrets, and techniques... not to judge others.

my picture doesn't look like I weigh 158 lbs, at 5'5 with BF of 27%, and it doesn't show that i have very muscular legs from spinning and MMA, i can push myself to MY limit and it works well for me... and maybe only me. :)

1400 - 1100 = 300
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calorie (BMR) PLUS whatever I burn for exercise - anywhere between 250-600 depending on what I do.

To be honest, I was doing the old WW points system for the first year but even then I ate most if not all of my weekly allowance points and exercise points. I think it ends up being about the same concept if you sign up here with a 1 pound per week loss goal and eat back your exercise calories.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Wow! Didn't expect so many replies!

Thanks a lot for the help! <3
    I'm definitely going to eat back the calories I burn with exercise, after seeing all the weight you've lost it shows that doing so works. (Before I didn't eat back my burn calories, foolish I now realize D: )
  • jaimemc86
    jaimemc86 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not at the "lot of weight" point yet - but I do eat back my exercise cals. I've been on here for 40 days and have lost 12lbs. Also - in my experience - the MFP calorie burn numbers tend to run higher than what is actually burned - so you may choose to only eat back a portion of your exercise cals. (This theory is based on my purchase of a HRM and the sad discovery that my burn was off on the elliptical by half).

Just an FYI..when you type in your cardio or strength training in MFP, you can adjust your calories burned. You don't have to leave it at what automatically populates. I use a HRM and then adjust it when I enter my exercise time. :)
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1800-2500 calories a day. I burn about 800-1200 calories per day in exercise. One days I burn more, I eat more, but I never eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Net calories of 200 to 300 will only do your body damage. 7pounds in one week is very unhealthy and most likely only water.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I currently eat between 1500 and 1920 calories a day. I'm not really concerned about making it all the way up 1920 as long as I'm over 1200 though.

I don't eat back my exercise calories most days but use them as a cushion for my cheat days or meals. I look at the week when it comes to calories instead of individual days... I will be over today as we're eating out with my boyfriend's family but I'm okay with that as I netted lower most of this past week.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere between 1250ish to 1300ish calories, which includes my workout calories. I have a fitbit and so I calculate how much I can eat more on how many calories I've burned throughout the day according to my FItbit since I never take it off.

So if it tells me I can eat 1400 calories, then I'll eat roughly about 1400. It depends on if I'm hungry! I don't force it. But I usually "net" 1200ish or so calories. I was strictly adhereing to 1200 calories, sometimes (okay a lot!) going lower to about 1100. And that put me into starvation mode (I can only assume because I stopped losing) that I got jolted out of when I went on vacation.

So since then, if I exercise a lot more, then I eat a little bit more because obviously (in my mind) my body wants more fuel! I'm also "really" hungry versus "bored" hungry when I've done some intensive exercising / strength training that I'm learning to tell the difference in the way I feel. It could all be in my mind too! Ha!

Either way, I definitely eat some % of my calories back depending on the night, and that has kept me steadily moving forward! Plus all the stinkin' water I drink.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Another good rule of thumb, in my view, is to eat 10x your desired body weight in calories and multiply it by 1.3 if you work out 4 or 5 times a week, but are otherwise sedentary (i.e., desk job).

Not sure where you got this equation from, but I did it for myself, and it equates to exactly what I'm doing. I burn anywhere from 250-500 calories/day, and I have been netting about 1400-1500 calories this week, so I'm eating most of my exercise calories back, but not all. I like to leave a little wiggle room in case I have under-calculated my calories consumed or over-calculated my calories burned. That leaves me eating around 1700 calories a day, give or take 100 calories or so. I haven't weighed-in for a few weeks, so I don't know if it's working or not, but my trainer told me today that my gym clothes were looking really baggy. :) Great NSV.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I average about 1200-1300 a day and do not eat back exercise cals. But if im hungry i will eat. I dont eat just to eat them back though.
  • grkfire
    grkfire Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Your should calculate your BMR first and then plan your meals & workouts around that. But for my losses my net calories were always & still are at least 1900 a day.

Here is a good calculator to use:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!