Diets and Vacations....Low Carbers Please.

Options
Can Ppl please share their experiences with the LC Diet and vacations?

I am going to New Orleans in September where it is fried madness and tons of delicious frozen daquiris and other yum yum drinks.

When you guys go on vacation do you stick to LC? Or are you like me and indulge on vacation and if so...what are your experiences with weight gain or troubles after vacay?

note* I am super duper close to my vanity goal weight (BMI of 20) and I expect I shall reach it by then so I will be in maintenance mode. Iam wondering if I may have to do induction again for awhile after coming back if I over indulge.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Uh, it depends on where I vacay. We're doing Hawaii in August, and I plan to eat more fish than you can shake a stick at. But, in N'orlans, I'd just....cut loose :)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    when i am on vacation i don't give a rat's *kitten* about my diet.

vacation is vacation for a reason.
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Now I go on vacation. Try to stay LC, eat lots of fruits, veg's & take part in some of the goodies. I'll also use the gym & the stairs.
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    Options
    I gained 4 pounds during my vacation experience. However, it must have been water weight due to excess sodium because the extra weight was completely gone by the following week. Tip: I immediately went back to counting calories when I got home.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i had a cheat day once and regretted it because i make those calories count lol. then again, that's just me. i think my body just sucks up any carb it can get.

i would personally say just do what you can without being a debbie downer. if you can stay on track for at least one meal a day, do it. however if you're at some restaurant that's known for it's famous fried shrimp or everything on the menu is fried, just get it. it is vacay after all.

i'm all about having a good time and booze never counts on my watch ;) haha.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I am going to New Orleans in September where it is fried madness and tons of delicious frozen daquiris and other yum yum drinks.

When you guys go on vacation do you stick to LC? Or are you like me and indulge on vacation and if so...what are your experiences with weight gain or troubles after vacay?

note* I am super duper close to my vanity goal weight (BMI of 20) and I expect I shall reach it by then so I will be in maintenance mode. Iam wondering if I may have to do induction again for awhile after coming back if I over indulge.

Any thoughts?

I live just north of NOLA, and you're right. All of the food is fried madness, and the daiquiris are to die for (MAJOR reason I'm on MFP). I haven't been on a vacation since I started low carb, but some of my MFP friends have taken a week off for various reasons. They gained weight back (weren't in maintenance mode, just eating what they wanted) but some didn't gain more than a pound because they kept their carbs under 100g. Both types of vacationers lost what they gained very quickly when they went back to low carb.

You're going to have to take a moment to really think about what you want to do. Would the food be worth the 10 lb influx in water weight? There is a lot of seafood, maybe you can find something low carb there? I'm not sure as I'm one of the few LA citizens who can't stand seafood.

How long are you staying? Also, what do you plan to do while you're down here? There's lots of fun stuff to do!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation. That's the purpose of it.

1 week is nothing in the big picture.
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I agree you can let loose and *relax* but for me, if I overindulge on vacation and pack on the pounds, it ruins the vacation for me!

The best feeling I have is coming back from vacation, having eaten well and made good food choices and having had fun being in a different place, to discover that I've continued to lose weight!

New Orleans sucks for dieting -- the culture of rich greasy fried foods that taste amazing makes it an epicenter of obesity. Even their veggies are all cooked with bacon :-)

Let yourself have a small some of those killer "off-diet" treats (beignets at Cafe Du Monde, or whatever), then look for creative ways to stay on track substituting salad for rice, steamed veggies for fried, etc. -- you'll still get the wonderful New Orleans flavors.

Good luck and have fun!
  • yaymeforlife
    Options

Any thoughts?

I live just north of NOLA, and you're right. All of the food is fried madness, and the daiquiris are to die for (MAJOR reason I'm on MFP). I haven't been on a vacation since I started low carb, but some of my MFP friends have taken a week off for various reasons. They gained weight back (weren't in maintenance mode, just eating what they wanted) but some didn't gain more than a pound because they kept their carbs under 100g. Both types of vacationers lost what they gained very quickly when they went back to low carb.

You're going to have to take a moment to really think about what you want to do. Would the food be worth the 10 lb influx in water weight? There is a lot of seafood, maybe you can find something low carb there? I'm not sure as I'm one of the few LA citizens who can't stand seafood.

How long are you staying? Also, what do you plan to do while you're down here? There's lots of fun stuff to do!

I am staying one week and I am a vegetarian that doesn't eat seafood so that leaves me to eat...salad and french fries. Lol. I am most worried about the sugary drinks. But I feel like If I'm in NOLA why would I have boring wine and Vodka. I want the GOOD STUFF! Lol.

and our biggest plan is to get smashed every night lol. My hubby and i are celebrating 1 year. :) So I guess yeah I am expecting to gain a few pounsd but hopefully not like 15 in 1 week lol. My biggest thing is that I don't know what will happen when I go from eating no carbs to LOTS and LOTS of carbs!

I will just deal with the extra pounds for a while I guess it can't hang on for more than a couple weeks.

And i love how in the title I put LOW CARBERS Please because I know what its like to go on a vacation when i'm not low carb...thanks for replying ppl that i asked not too. jeez.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I am staying one week and I am a vegetarian that doesn't eat seafood so that leaves me to eat...salad and french fries. Lol. I am most worried about the sugary drinks. But I feel like If I'm in NOLA why would I have boring wine and Vodka. I want the GOOD STUFF! Lol.

and our biggest plan is to get smashed every night lol. My hubby and i are celebrating 1 year. :) So I guess yeah I am expecting to gain a few pounsd but hopefully not like 15 in 1 week lol. My biggest thing is that I don't know what will happen when I go from eating no carbs to LOTS and LOTS of carbs!

I will just deal with the extra pounds for a while I guess it can't hang on for more than a couple weeks.

Just be careful, if you've been on a low carb diet, introducing crazy amounts of carbs (like pizza, sugary drinks, fries) very quickly will cause major stomach distress. If you're truly adapted to a low carb lifestyle, be aware that you may feel like absolute doo doo that first night. Once I reach my goal weight, it'll probably take me a while to slowly raise my carbs to get to maintenance.

And yes, weight gained in a week is easily lost if you quickly go back to low carb. Well, at least in what I've experienced/seen.

I'm pretty sure you know your alcohol tolerance tanks when doing low carb, so drink slowly. It really sneaks up on you. When I start to feel buzzed, I start drinking water. Your future sober self will appreciate not having the worst hangover in the morning :D

For anyone else who isn't a vegetarian and doesn't like seafood, seafood restaurants have THE best steak/chicken dishes.
    And i love how in the title I put LOW CARBERS Please because I know what its like to go on a vacation when i'm not low carb...thanks for replying ppl that i asked not too. jeez.

Yea, just get used to this.
  • sobriquet84
    Options

I agree you can let loose and *relax* but for me, if I overindulge on vacation and pack on the pounds, it ruins the vacation for me!

The best feeling I have is coming back from vacation, having eaten well and made good food choices and having had fun being in a different place, to discover that I've continued to lose weight!

New Orleans sucks for dieting -- the culture of rich greasy fried foods that taste amazing makes it an epicenter of obesity. Even their veggies are all cooked with bacon :-)

Let yourself have a small some of those killer "off-diet" treats (beignets at Cafe Du Monde, or whatever), then look for creative ways to stay on track substituting salad for rice, steamed veggies for fried, etc. -- you'll still get the wonderful New Orleans flavors.

Good luck and have fun!

unless your vacations are longer than the average 4-9 days, i don't see how you can "pack on the pounds" in such a short amount of time. 90% of what you gain WILL be water weight.

say your body burns 2,000 calories a day. and on vacation you eat 3,000 a day. that's +1,000 a day. in 7 days, that's TWO POUNDS.

so freaking what. i expect to come home after vacation a tiny bit heavier.
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    and p.s.

i normally eat low carb. not atkins low carb, but low carb compared to the simple counting calories method. i usually eat between 40 - 80 net carbs a day.

when i vacation, i don't care.

a simple 2 servings of fruit is 20+ g net carbs right there.

sorry, but i will enjoy whatever i wanna eat when on vacation. yeah so what you'll gain some water weight. it'll be gone within 3 days if you get right back on track when you get home.
  • tripp396
    tripp396 Posts: 2
    Options
    Uh, it depends on where I vacay. We're doing Hawaii in August, and I plan to eat more fish than you can shake a stick at.

Genius. I just started a low carb diet and was thinking what I was going to do when I go to Hawaii in October.
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I am on vacation I vacation from my healthy eating too. I was in New Orleans in February for the Mardi Gras. The food is a big part of the experience. We were so active while there that I came back only 1.5 pounds heavier than when I left. Have a great time!
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Slow carb person here. And before that I spent many years as an Atkins low carb.

LIke you, I'm on vacation starting next friday and I. am. living. for. that. day.

We're staying at an all inclusive and my 'plan' is to eat a bite of just about everything....ok, no, I'm kidding. Proteins with veg and fruit. 1 day (out of 8) for free day. My biggest worry was the drinks. Cocktails. On vacation I say I'm gonna "eat, drink, flip, repeat". LOL. So, my 'plan' for the drinks is grapefruit and vodka. Hopefully will have little impact on the weight I've gotten off.

You'll be fine. As many have said, a lot of it will be water weight and will be off within a week. You've worked hard for this vacation and you're working hard on your lifestyle change. You're gonna be just fine!!! This is life!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Gained 7 lbs on 10day vac to Disney. Which made me mad as I WALKED ALL DAY. But oh well, it is VAC, and you are at your goal. so NO BIGGIE---- eat, enjoy, drink, enjoy. I love gumbo and etouffe WITHOUT the rice. Eat it as soup. You don't have to eatevery meal fried...but do it once! You don't want to miss out on the drinks, so don't eat dessert every meal.

You'll probably gain 5 lbs. so what???? If it doesn't come off after a week at home, then go back on calorie restriction until it does!

HAVE F U N ! You LOST the weight....ENJOY the benifits of dressing cute and partying like a ROCK STAR!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Uh, it depends on where I vacay. We're doing Hawaii in August, and I plan to eat more fish than you can shake a stick at.

Genius. I just started a low carb diet and was thinking what I was going to do when I go to Hawaii in October.

Oh Lord...been there done that. You can eat really healthy in Hawaii. If you go to a luau, you won't be able to resist some decadent stuff.....and make that your spluge day! WARNING WARNING WARNING --- DO NOT TASTE THE PURPLE ROLLS....lol. They make bread out of purple sweet potatoes....need I say more? I was there 5 years ago and I can STILLLLLL taste those rolls!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    grilled protein and plain veg/salad
    for alcohol, vodka and diet coke.
    rum and diet coke.

you get the idea. stick to high proof stuff - no carbs.
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sorry, but i will enjoy whatever i wanna eat when on vacation. yeah so what you'll gain some water weight. it'll be gone within 3 days if you get right back on track when you get home.

Which is great...there's nothing better on vacation than letting go and relaxing. For you, it's no big deal. And if it was no big deal for the OP, they prolly wouldn't have posted the question.

For me with weight control issues, it's fine to remember that there are other rewards in life, other rewards on vacation, than food ones! It's fine to let loose and have fun, but still exercise good choices!

And while your example of 3,000 cal/day for a person with maintenance of 2,000 cals, and a 2 lb gain, isn't that big a deal -- what about people who go to NOLA and eat 6,000 calories a day? I've got friends that have come bak from cruises 10 lbs heavier because they ate with no control!

I'm not criticizing you -- you're the ideal -- but many of us aren't ready for that complete let down of rules. And I have a feeling that even when you are letting down your hair and going nuts, you probably are still eating WAY healthier than lots of folks out there :-)
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    Which is great...there's nothing better on vacation than letting go and relaxing. For you, it's no big deal. And if it was no big deal for the OP, they prolly wouldn't have posted the question.

It hasn't been a big deal for me in the past. When i got married there last year I ate whatever I wanted and drank whatever I wanted and came back the same weight, probably because all of the walking. My only question was for people that were low carb for a while, then went on vacation and ate plenty of carbs what were the results when you came back. I'm not asking for advice on how to eat or drink when I'm down there. I'm not asking if I should indulge when I'm down there (cuz I already planned to at the time i orignally posted!). all I'm asking is if you were low carb went on vacation for 1 week and didn't stick to the low carb regimen, how much weight did you gain and how long did it take to get it back off.

This is no longer a productive thread because people can't read and give more than their 2 cents worth and answer un asked unwanted questions so no one needs to post anymore.