Weight loss and clothing... annoying

Options
Some of my clothes (dress pants for work, in particular) are getting too big on me now that I've lost a bit of weight. But my old smaller clothes (from before I gained a bunch of weight in college) are still too small. So for now I have to wear the bigger ones, and because they don't fit properly, they make me look big and frumpy :/ Guess I shouldn't complain because I AM losing weight after all... haha... just wish I could fit back into the smaller clothes already!

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am so with you on this, i have had to spend money i don't have on new clothes. I will make sure after this i WILL maintain it for the rest of my life, i will not allow myself to get bigger again.. I have a trip coming new years to mexico and everything i bought early spring is now to big on me and if i didn't get something now i will no shorts, etc for that trip. Not like you will find summer items in dec. Spending money i don't have " dislike" but being a few sizes smaller " like"... :)
  • rainbowcarrie
    rainbowcarrie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I'm not ready to buy new clothes yet - want to lose a little more first. Some of my belts are too big too. I've resorted to using safety pins to hold up my work pants. Hey, it works for now. But, the weird bunching and lumpy look sucks. I wear longer shirts to hide that.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have lost enough to make the butt and leg saggy but not enough to go down a size in the waist....grrr. Clothes look rediculous on me right now. I think I have 2 pairs of shorts that actually fit properly by some miracle. It is very annoying to look sloppy/lumpy..
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Go to a thrift store or consignment store. You shouldn't live in ill-fitting clothes for months.
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I am also in between and finally broke down and bought one new pair of pants. My pre-pregnancy pants wont button but as you said, I can't complain cause I am losing the weight. But the frumpy feeling is ack. I foresee going to a thrift/consignment store myself soon because I refuse to pay a ton of money for clothes that I hopefully will only be wearing for a month or two.

Bras are my thing. When I lost a lot of weight before the cup size didn't change but the size around did. The bras I have now are SOOO old and I really need new ones. Some of them are very uncomfortable but I refuse to buy some now and then have to spend more on them later when they are so expensive. But my end goal is to have a shopping spree at VS. I have never shopped there and if I find things I like, I'm getting underroos that make me feel sexy and proud of what I have done. :)

Good luck!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hear you. I'm well out of my "fat" clothes, and have moved on to my "thinner" clothes. Not only are these baggy, I bought most of them at least 5 years ago. So I've got the bonus frump factor of being out of style :laugh:

Not *quite* to my goal yet--one more size or so to go--but definitely buying an entirely new wardrobe when I get there.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Get some new ones on ebay.... when those get too big, then re-sell them and buy new ones. That is what I have been doing with jeans!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! It sucks when you are between sizes! What about hitting up a second hand store? You can get some very cheap clothing there which is great until you hit your goal weight. Saves so much money than buying new ones. I also buy my pants a touch tight so they last a bit longer.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Bras are my thing. When I lost a lot of weight before the cup size didn't change but the size around did. The bras I have now are SOOO old and I really need new ones. Some of them are very uncomfortable but I refuse to buy some now and then have to spend more on them later when they are so expensive. But my end goal is to have a shopping spree at VS. I have never shopped there and if I find things I like, I'm getting underroos that make me feel sexy and proud of what I have done. :)

Good luck!

If you need new bras what about buying the smaller band size and picking up one or two of the band extenders? You can buy them inexpensive (dollar stores by me even sell them as does Walmart and Zellers). That way you can get your new bras now and not have to buy more when you get smaller!
  • lindab142
    lindab142 Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree about hitting Goodwill or garage sales for in between clothes. I'm just starting and used them for "big" clothes and hope to start working out to get smaller.

Kudos to you losing weight.
  • maylene1853
    Options
    i buy salvation army/thrift store items, also clothing swaps with other people losing weight (try support groups especially for gastric bypassers)! craigslist! ebay! also if you can get away with it buy stretchier pants such as yoga pants that will fit longer. and shop around. theres a store in my town that sells real cheap clothes. yoga pants for 7 dollars stretchy tees 3 for $10 jeans for $10.
    sure clothes dont last the longest but you plan on losing more anyways so they are tempory!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Dude, I'm right there with you. It's driving me nuts. My pants are easily at least one size too big right now. If I use a belt it looks ridiculous, if I don't wear a belt I have to walk with my hands in my pockets to hold them up, and either way the seat of my pants is so much larger that my butt looks weirdly flat. And my butt is perkier than it was before, dangit. So frumpy looking. I can't afford any new clothes for another month and in the mean time I'm seriously considering wearing yoga pants to work/school, because at least they don't fall off. Sigh.
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I am having the same problem. Hang in there, in weeks to come you will be in the smaller clothes.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    RIGHT?!

I totally get it. I went down 2-3 pant sizes and all my suits for work are saggy, loose, uncomfortable, and unflattering. I keep telling myself it's PROGRESS! But it's still sad not being able to wear a $75 dollar pair of dress pants.

I always think MFP should have a mega clothing swap.
    "Oh, you wore a 14, now you're in a 10? Awesome. Have these pants."
    "Who is selling a size 6 dress? Oh, you are? I'll pay for shipping."
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Get some new ones on ebay.... when those get too big, then re-sell them and buy new ones. That is what I have been doing with jeans!
    [/quote

Yep! or as someone else said - thrift stores. Also .. friends? end of season sales? Summer clothes will go on sale any minute now- probably snag a few cheap to wear while its still hot this season. what about a taylor? take some clothes in a tad so you can squeeze the last of any use out of your bigger sizes?
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    I refuse to buy anything substantial until I get to goal weight. I want to be able to justify a shopping spree >:)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Dresses are much more forgiving than pants.

If you wear blouses out, you can put a belt on them and 'blouse' them and you'll look very svelte.

Or, there's always thrift shop. Buy 3 pairs of plain dress pants and wear them with all your skinny tops. Change scarves. No one will notice anything but how good you look.
  • jayne12469
    jayne12469 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you considered contacting a local tailor or seamstress to have it taken in?
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Belts and safety pins help, I found several belts on the clearance rack at Macy's - $3.99 to $7.99. I wear a blouse to cover up the bunching in back. I also have taken a couple of pair if pants in for alterations an I have done a few. I have a friend that has gotten sparkly suspenders to help. Of course she teaches second grade and can get away with it. I think something would be said at my office if I did it.
  • LisaEileen
    LisaEileen Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    RIGHT?!

I totally get it. I went down 2-3 pant sizes and all my suits for work are saggy, loose, uncomfortable, and unflattering. I keep telling myself it's PROGRESS! But it's still sad not being able to wear a $75 dollar pair of dress pants.

I always think MFP should have a mega clothing swap.
    "Oh, you wore a 14, now you're in a 10? Awesome. Have these pants."
    "Who is selling a size 6 dress? Oh, you are? I'll pay for shipping."

I wish there was something like this right now too. My size 16 shorts are falling off and looking ridiculous. I hate to spend anymore money on shorts since it's so close to the end of summer in WI. I really should go look at Goodwill again. That's where I got the 16's when the 18's were too big. I didn't realize how ridiculous I looked until I caught a glimpse in the mirror today. I look like I have a load in my pants cause they're so baggy on the *kitten*.