why are weigh-ins so damn stressful?

Options
so i have always been generally healthy. yea i've had some extra pounds on me that i always thought in the back of mind, 'eh i could lose it if i wanted to.' well after thinking that for so long, i know its time to do it.

i started my program 5 weeks ago. i started light because i knew that if i started hardcore, i would get burned out and quit. well it's been 5 weeks now and about 2 weeks ago i started enjoying eating right and really looking forward to going to the gym. i think i am finally at the hardcore stage. but i'm competitive. i want to lose, i want be better than my workout partner, i want to "kill" the pounds off. that being said, i'm stressed about my weekly weigh-ins. i'm that type that if i don't see a big number, i'll be pissed at myself that i didn't work hard enough.

i guess this is a good problem vs not caring and would be happy with whatever. ahhhhh i'm just venting.....

-M

Replies

• Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale out bro. Mirror baby. Scale just shows #'s and not muscle you have put on.
  • Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    or, take a picture every week and you will notice the difference.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Take pictures and measure yourself! That's where you can see the real progress. Forget the scale!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The problem with wanting a "big number" on the scale is that having a huge loss week after week is not only unhealthy, it's unsustainable.

Take measurements. Take pictures. And consider changing your weigh-in routine: either weigh every day, tracking on a graph so you can see trends rather than worrying about the number you get every day, or cut back to weighing in every 2 weeks, or once a month.

The scale is pretty useless when it comes to determining health. It's only one factor, and by far not the most important one. A 300-lb man who's solid muscle is healthier than a 150-lb guy who can't lift a 5-lb bag of sugar. Keep these things in perspective.
  • saltyraisins
    saltyraisins Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree-- ditch the scale completely, or only weigh yourself once a month.

Don't let numbers bring you down!
  • themichaelf
    Options
    all really good ideas. i really like the one where you weigh daily and make a chart... i'm a numbers person and could probably find some use out of that. i guess i would then just designate one day as my actual weigh-in date. i'm not sure if i could do the ditch the scale system.

my friend suggested the picture thing too so i'm gonna start that up for sure

i'm always looking for new ways... much appreciated

add me if any of you guys want to watch... i need all the support i can get

-M